1.    #1  
    Hi everyone, I bought a german Pre of ebay and I asked the seller will the pre work with T-mobile in the US, he said it will only work on edge. Has anyone used their Pre with T-mobile?

Thank you
    Chun
    I think you might have jumped the gun. To soon after release. And I think the keyboard is German. If you get the phone to work you might want to try a place a virtual keyboard patch on the phone. Unless your German is up to par.
  3.    #3  
    Well this is the keyboard layout, and I think is fine I will get use to it haha.
    it depends what frequencies the german gsm 3g runs on, if that matches with t-mobile then it should be fine. thats the reason the iphone on t-mo will only run edge since they use different frequencies of 3g so he might just be right but i would look further into it
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
  5.    #5  
    Yea I'm currently using T-mobile with my 3Gs and it runs on edge is fast enough, I hope the German Pre works with T-mobile like my 3Gs than that's good enough for me! ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I think you might have jumped the gun. To soon after release. And I think the keyboard is German. If you get the phone to work you might want to try a place a virtual keyboard patch on the phone. Unless your German is up to par.
    no, you can set the language to english. then it just becomes a matter of Y and Z, and the $ sign.

Also, im pretty sure the gsm pre is quad band GSM 850/900/1900/2100 MHZ, which means att works because it uses 850/1900. T-mobile, im not sure; it uses 1700/2100.
    Last edited by spectralfish; 10/19/2009 at 09:45 PM.
    T-Mobile uses their completely non-standard 1700 Mhz band for 3G. This is why the Pre will only work on edge.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    look at this here:

Palm Pre GSM - eBay (item 300358046477 end time Oct-26-09 10:24:01 PDT)

"I have done some more things with the phone and added updated pictures of it with my iPhone AT&T SIM in it. Everything that should work does. A few notes... 1. You can activate it fine (setup palm profile) on AT&T network. 2. Web Browsing, Maps, Calling, MMS (both ways, It seems it requires updating to 1.1.3 to make this work!), app store, you tube. 3. I live in an edge area but when I went into what sound be a 3G area it did not switch to 3G. This seems strange as the AT&T band is supported. I have heard some rumblings it might take OS 1.3 (nov) to make this work. As I said Edge works great though and maybe there is a way to make 3G work. 4. I can verify that vodafone.de pretty much works this way to but I have not tired it with any other carriers so your milage may vary!"

apparently all apps work on at&t, with the exception of mms which works after upgrading to 1.1.3. Strangely, 3g doesn't work for him, even though it was an att sim card. We can assume that all the features work for t-mobile except for 3g, i guess.
    T-Mobile USA uses 1700/2100 Mhz frequency for 3G. The pre has one out of the two frequencies. I believe both frequencies have to be connected for 3G to work. So EDGE would be no problem but 3G is no go.

AT&T uses just 1900 Mhz for 3G and that is fully supported by the GSM Pre.