1. Vez
    Is it normal? If I leave it there on the desk, the screen will turn off, and the Wifi too. Slide it open and the wifi reconnect.
    I would like it to always stay connected .. is it possible ?
    1. This is absolutely normal behavior. It was designed this way intentionally.

2. There are several ways to change this behavior if you were so inclined.

You could run an app called timepiece which displays a clock on the screen and keeps your Pre awake.

You could install no-doze for WebOS from Preware which keeps the data connections alive even if the screen goes to sleep.

You could dig your way through the OS and create your own custom patch for this. (Not a good plan since keeping it on all the time would kill your battery.

Last, but certainly not least, you could plug your Pre in to charge. By default, the data connections stay on while the Pre is plugged in, including WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    1. This is absolutely normal behavior. It was designed this way intentionally.

2. There are several ways to change this behavior if you were so inclined.

You could run an app called timepiece which displays a clock on the screen and keeps your Pre awake.

You could install no-doze for WebOS from Preware which keeps the data connections alive even if the screen goes to sleep.

You could dig your way through the OS and create your own custom patch for this. (Not a good plan since keeping it on all the time would kill your battery.

Last, but certainly not least, you could plug your Pre in to charge. By default, the data connections stay on while the Pre is plugged in, including WiFi.
    It depends on your situation, in some cases I think it would actually help battery life, take for example mine. My signal is terrible and constantly switching between Sprint and roaming, I can only imagine how long it takes background processes that sync your calendar, email, etc. with a terrible signal.

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It depends on your situation, in some cases I think it would actually help battery life, take for example mine. My signal is terrible and constantly switching between Sprint and roaming, I can only imagine how long it takes background processes that sync your calendar, email, etc. with a terrible signal.

Just my $0.02.
    You're quite right, and that's why I listed all the ways I could think of to keep them open, because there are perfectly legitimate reasons for wanting it to stay up.

I do think that making a static patch that changes the behavior all the time is not the best option, especially now that no-doze can run in the background.

For me, the only time I find any benefit to keeping them up is when I want to use ssh or sftp from my desktop (to avoid plugging my Pre in) but sitting it on the touchstone keeps the wifi running for me, so it's a non-issue.