1.    #1  
    .. from Expansys HK

Buy a Palm Pre WebOS Smartphone 8GB (QWERTZ, Multi-Lingual, Unlocked), #0872873-9873723874 - eXpansys Hong Kong

They say it is "factory unlocked" so I wonder if it should run on any GSM network out side UK, Germany and Spain?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes. What is your location?
  3.    #3  
    I am in Asia, and have a colleague travelling to HK next week
    Someone has already asked the relevant questions in the Expansys HK support forums so I await with interest their reply:
    http://www.expansys.com.hk/ft.aspx?k=121736
  4. OrR
    The German Pre from O2 doesn't need any kind of activation. Put in you Sim and go.
  5.    #5  
    Just concerned that some Sim cards may not work out of the box. Is it difficult to tweak settings like APN?
  6. OrR
    I haven't found any settings dialog for it, yet, so I guess it is. Well, there is always the terminal app, or SSH.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Just concerned that some Sim cards may not work out of the box. Is it difficult to tweak settings like APN?
    So far, it has not been possible for current owners to manually set/configure the APN settings. They are either already held in the Pre for a given mobile operator/network (and thus, work) or not (in which case you cannot browse, etc).
  8.    #8  
    Hmm that would be a stumbling block for me. On my Treo Pro, the default APN for my provider (Digi) is diginet, but their new 3g APN is 3gdgnet so I had to manually change it for it to work.
    Unlocked GSM Palm Pre on order

.. from Expansys France

Palm Pre Web OS Smartphone Accessoires - eXpansys France
    Palm Pre Web OS Smartphone
    in french : version: QWERTZ, Multilingue, Logo O2, Débloqué
    in english : 8GB (QWERTZ, Multi-Lingual, Logo O2, Unlocked)

They say :
    "Cet appareil a été débloqué en usine et fonctionne sur tous les réseaux. L'emballage comporte le logo O2 mais l'appareil est marqué Palm uniquement."
    In english :
    This device in unlocked in factory and works on all the networks. The packaging have a O2 logo but the device have the marking Palm only.

it is "factory unlocked" so I wonder if it should run on any GSM network out
    side UK, Germany, Spain, France ?

But is expensive, 481 Euros in Germany and 560 Euros in France.
    80 Euros for unlocking
    You'll find that for 481 Euros it is already unlocked. You're paying 80 euros for importing from germany.
    >You'll find that for 481 Euros it is already unlocked.
    Yes and No, there is a littlr problem with Palm PrPrPré $that$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $import$ $from$ $Germany$ :
    "Second, and a little more annoyingly, the device apparently needs to be activated via the O2 network before you can use it. While tools exist that allow you to bypass activation - such as the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor "
    source :
    'Unlocked' German Palm Pre Still A Bit Locked
    'Unlocked' German Palm Pre Still A Bit Locked

>You're paying 80 euros for importing from germany.
    No,the 80 euros more are for avoid the O2 activation that can only do in Germany.
    This link you provide is out of date. Read this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-networks.html

If your sim has data enabled, and will allow you to send an SMS message to a foreign network it will work. You must be in your home country, and you need to check the list of data settings to ensure your network is supported. If these are all "yes" then you can activate the phone as I understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    This link you provide is out of date. Read this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-networks.html

If your sim has data enabled, and will allow you to send an SMS message to a foreign network it will work. You must be in your home country, and you need to check the list of data settings to ensure your network is supported. If these are all "yes" then you can activate the phone as I understand it.
    If I understand correctly you, I can buy a Palm PrPrPré $in$ $Germany$, $insert$ $my$ $SIM$ $card$ $from$ $Bouygues$ $Telecom$ ($BT$) $in$ $France$ $in$ $the$ $Palm$ $Pr$é. $Then$ $the$ $Palm$ $Pr$é $will$ $be$ $activated$ $by$ $sending$ $an$ $SMS$ $message$ $to$ $a$ $foreign$ $network$.
    With my SIM card, I have only SMS and voice. I have no data subscription with my carrier. In this case, does the activation works ?
    If you don't have data it won't work. I don't know about the BT network, you need to read the thread I linked to check that.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    what is the advantage of GSM over CDMA, locked or unlocked?
    Some networks use CDMA technology to operate (typically in the US), others use GSM (typically in europe and asia). A GSM phone will not operate on a CDMA network and vice versa. Sprint is a CDMA network, so Pres made for Sprint will not work in europe.
    I strongly suspect rattical knew that so it was more a question of which technology is better?

As for an answer, I coudn't possibly comment. We only have GSM over here and in the vast majority of counties I visit so I have nothing to compare with. Clearly, for me, GSM is better, if only because CDMA would be completely useless to me.
    I got my German Palm Pre from Expansys Hong Kong 2 days ago.

I am in Hong Kong and I am using 3HK network and I have no problem.

I just put in the sim card and it detcted 3HK and also set the phone to 3G mode by itself. I didn't put any settings.

I can surf the net, download from app catalog and watch youtube videos no problem.