Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if there is a patch or application that will let you send longer txt message without having the whole (1 of 3). I switched from the iPhone to my pre and i really liked how the txt message came in on the iphone. The splitting up is really annoying.
    The text message limit is based on the SMS standard, and not limited by the phone. No phone can send texts longer than 160 characters. Any phone that appears to is using a non-standard means to break texts up and reassemble them on receipt.

I like the "(1 of 2)" and so on, it helps friends figure out what I'm talking about when the parts come in out of order.
    Yeah, as said, it's a standard with SMS. The iPhone did its best to hide it but the reality of it is that they're still broken up into pieces.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    It's called an E-mail.
    picture mail allowed for longer texts cause I still get them, but the pre doesn't have this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by crash712us View Post
    picture mail allowed for longer texts cause I still get them, but the pre doesn't have this feature.
    You're right. MMS allows for longer messages. Unfortunately the Pre doesn't allow you to switch to MMS, you must use regular SMS for text (unless you're sending it with an image). Lame.
    Sprint Picture Mail is not MMS.

Quote Originally Posted by crash712us View Post
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    I don't even get why splitting is bad given the way messages are displayed on the Pre. Maybe if only part of the overall message was displayed due to length I would understand, but it's all there.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eheaps View Post
    It's called an E-mail.
    Winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sprint Picture Mail is not MMS.
    Maybe on the Blackberry's etc, which won't send full sized images, instead giving the crappy link where you can only see a tiny thumbnail and nothing more... On the Pre it sure seems to be, since I get full images from anyone who sends me an MMS, and my phone sends full size images to anyone I send to.
    Sprint Picture Mail was/is a system that is used to implement MMS like services on many Sprint phones (particularity dumb phones). However it is not native MMS and therefore allowed some non standard methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Maybe on the Blackberry's etc, which won't send full sized images, instead giving the crappy link where you can only see a tiny thumbnail and nothing more... On the Pre it sure seems to be, since I get full images from anyone who sends me an MMS, and my phone sends full size images to anyone I send to.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    It's called an E-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Winner!

Instant messages work well too. Longer than SMS, shorter than email.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    It's called an E-mail.
    ... awww man i need a laugh...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I like that the Pre numbers them. I get long texts from my iPhone wielding friends all the time and they're ALWAYS out of order. Glad that the Pre labels the order.
    how about just using the phone.. its easy on the fingers
    Ill like to have longer txt messages no for national messages , i need for international messages ... they charge me for every page (1,2,3)... I dont write to much but sometimes with one word in the next page i have to pay it like a long txt message!
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    Ill like to have longer txt messages no for national messages , i need for international messages ... they charge me for every page (1,2,3)... I dont write to much but sometimes with one word in the next page i have to pay it like a long txt message!
    There's a patch that will put the number of characters a message contains into the text area of the messages app. If you install this you can keep track of how many characters you've used and make sure you keep it under 160. It won't specifically tell you how many messages it's sending... and it won't (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $give$ $you$ $any$ $error$, $warning$ $or$ $hard$ $limit$ $when$ $you$ $reach$ $160$, $but$ $it$ $will$ $at$ $least$ $give$ $you$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $keep$ $tabs$.