Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    1) Add native application development and support to Mojo. Applications that can be developed in either Java or C, and which can be called via the Mojo JSJSJS $Framework$ ($example$, $the$ $WebOS$ $Internals$ $Terminal$ $App$ $which$ $hacks$ $as$ $a$ $browser$ $plugin$ $I$ $believe$).

2) Supply a tool to convert / run iPhone OS applications (especially games) in WebOS. This could be developer tool that goes through code and suggest / updates to iPhone OS SDK calls to WebOS versions of the same; or a wrapper that allows iPhone OS apps to run within, doing a runtime conversion.

3) Create a "phone-less" version of the Pre. It should be slimmer, a.l.a. iPod Touch, but keep the slider keyboard etc. and market it as a portable internet appliance, more than just a media player. Palm started with such devices.
    Last edited by haydur; 10/19/2009 at 08:22 PM.
  2. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Sorry, but IMO all three of those are bad ideas at this stage in the company and WebOS's lifecycle. Far more important things for Palm to be working on...
    Number 1 is extremely important. Number 2 would require more USB spoofing in iTunes. Number 3 is also important for the long haul, but not immediately important. Actually, if there isnt better Apps, then Number 3 is almost useless since the music and video player needs work and you would need to market this as a PMD.
    Agree with number 1, though the level of urgency is questionable. If it were terribly easy, we'd see more homebrew doing it, and we don't right now (I don't think).

Number 2 will never happen in my opinion, nor is it necessary to do. And let's not even talk about the feasibility (which is pretty low from what I understand).

Number 3, well, Palm can only do so much at one time. While Palm has certainly had PDAs in the past, and they've had phones in the past, they've not had media devices in the past. I would question whether it would be worth the investment right now for them to create a device that isn't a phone. They'll sell way more phones.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    #1 is flash support...
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #1 is doable but not simple. #2 is not really technically feasible.
    Palm specifically said they were no longer making PDAs. The new Palm leaves a LOT to be desired for customers who want a functional, useful PDA. Right now the best option is to stick with an old Tungsten product, because the Pre is an awful at it.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I agree with 1. and 3. but two would run into SERIOUS legal issues. Copyright law, don't you know!
    #1 is ok, the rest are quite idiotic, and 2 is likely next to impossible.
    idiotic is a BIT harsh isn't it?
    I likey take apart thingies....
    palm needs to work on making profits first.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Definitely agree with number 1. Then they should compile all the built-in apps and OS to make it snappier.

My personal number 2 would be a Pre with physical buttons in place of the gesture area. I'd want call/send buttons, a 5-way d-pad, back button, and app buttons. I'm really getting tired of the back gesture, and that's the only thing I use the gesture area for. Button presses are so much more reliable and satisfying than gestures or screen touches (IMO).

Number 3 would be way more preferences options. I want to decide how my phone looks, sounds, and operates.
    palm can't get out of their own way...they continue to prove that...

one word, "pixi"..a step backwords, handicapped notion of an appliance...it's only saving grace is that the chassic, minus the keyboard + a full size screen is the end all be all iphone killer/ultimate web os form factor...other than that pixi = folio.

if i'm in charge: put absolutely EVERY cent of man-hours, money, goodwill into being the first mobil device (device, yes device, john q public doesn 't even know that the iphone is an OS) with flash baked in...done..end of game..cue the deer.

detroitkruk
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitkruk View Post
    palm can't get out of their own way...they continue to prove that...

one word, "pixi"..a step backwords, handicapped notion of an appliance...it's only saving grace is that the chassic, minus the keyboard + a full size screen is the end all be all iphone killer/ultimate web os form factor...other than that pixi = folio.

if i'm in charge: put absolutely EVERY cent of man-hours, money, goodwill into being the first mobil device (device, yes device, john q public doesn 't even know that the iphone is an OS) with flash baked in...done..end of game..cue the deer.

detroitkruk
    Well that's an interesting point of view. Since Flash is already running on a Pre somewhere in Adobe's development labs (no doubt with tremendous cooperation from Palm), your priority is a bit 4 months ago. How would you prioritize given that Flash is already effectively here (from a development point of view)?

Regarding Pixi=Foleo, given the numerical success (if not financial) of the Centro, which implies that the Pixi form factor should do quite well if priced appropriately, and the near certainty that Palm will launch the Pixi rather than cancel it, I fail to see the comparison.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Well that's an interesting point of view. Since Flash is already running on a Pre somewhere in Adobe's development labs (no doubt with tremendous cooperation from Palm), your priority is a bit 4 months ago. How would you prioritize given that Flash is already effectively here (from a development point of view)?

Regarding Pixi=Foleo, given the numerical success (if not financial) of the Centro, which implies that the Pixi form factor should do quite well if priced appropriately, and the near certainty that Palm will launch the Pixi rather than cancel it, I fail to see the comparison.

centro financial success? Did you see the price of palm stock at the end of the "year of the centro"? Palm hasn't seen finincial success in about 'never' years...

so when you were on the adobe labs field trip did you see how many other devices they hadflash running on?..the OP gave a list of things palm "needed" to do and it was iphone-centric..I propose that if at halftime on super bowl sunday we see a pixi-chassis, full-screen, no physical keyboard phone and the voice says, "Introducing, the new, Palm Flash. The worlds first phone with Flashh multimedia built-in. For the world standard in multimedia and interactvity, now, there's a phone for that." there would be no other phones sold the next day..so what that means, what that would entail 7474 dude, is PALM waking up, stop building stupid, wasteful form factors, get out of it's own way and purchase a one year exclusivity for flash mobil OS functionality...these kinds of cooperative exclusivity deals happen everday...a little phone company signed one with a little mp3 player company and it's working out pretty good...

so, read more carefully and please recognize that EVERYTHING I post is intelligent, insightful, nearly prophetic and that I am ALWAYS right. Mmmkay? Jeez. Moderators you should probably just delete this guys profile.

detroitkruk
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/26/2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The first part of # 2 is perfectly legal. What's wrong with allowing developers an easy way to convert their iPhone apps to run on WebOS?

Also, the second part of the same point isn't that far-fetched either. Ever heard of Wine?
    my thoughts in no particular order.
    1. Correct the too many app and card error
    2. Add a file manager app
    3. Desktop sync solution
    4. Bluetooth file transfers
    5. Better calendar, tasks, memos aoo
    6. Camcorder app
    7. Virtual keyboard
    8. Docs2go
    forgot to add

9. Video player
    10. Universal search in calendar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Agreed. Sounds like the OP made the wrong purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    1) Add native application development and support to Mojo. Applications that can be developed in either Java or C, and which can be called via the Mojo JSJSJS $Framework$ ($example$, $the$ $WebOS$ $Internals$ $Terminal$ $App$ $which$ $hacks$ $as$ $a$ $browser$ $plugin$ $I$ $believe$).
    I'd like to see #1 (because I don't think we'll see large development houses developing for WebOS without knowing they can run compiled code). I believe Palm wants to avoid this route but that in the end they will have to cave in to the old way of doing things (because it is tried and true). I believe you are right that having Mojo manage such native apps would be a good way to go. I'm not sure how far this would need to go - by analogy, this feels a lot like managed apps in .NET to me. Hopefully some smarter people than me can chime in on what might a good framework might do (or not do) regarding these ideas.

2) Supply a tool to convert / run iPhone OS applications (especially games) in WebOS. This could be developer tool that goes through code and suggest / updates to iPhone OS SDK calls to WebOS versions of the same; or a wrapper that allows iPhone OS apps to run within, doing a runtime conversion.
    I think (from my vantage point as a consumer) that this idea would spell disaster. I can see the Apple vs "WebOS guy standing in for the PC guy" commercials now!

3) Create a "phone-less" version of the Pre. It should be slimmer, a.l.a. iPod Touch, but keep the slider keyboard etc. and market it as a portable internet appliance, more than just a media player. Palm started with such devices.
    I guess I agree with others that while this would be a nice device, it takes away from Palm's focus as a phone manufacturer. Unlike some other opinions so far, I think Palm could crank out a device like this pretty easily (where "easlily" means a hardware redesign that would basically be subtracting out things like the cell radio).

While I think this would be a cool device, I don't think Palm will do it as long as their cell-phone device sales are strong enough on their own. I think this really depends on whether carriers are willing to subsidize the device price down low enough so that Palm can sell a critical mass of devices at a reasonable profit point. If the answer turns out to be no, then I think we'll see a "Pre-touch" in about 1.5 years. (Just my opinion, but this should not be their priority. It's a "plan B" strategy.)
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/19/2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: corrected some typos
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast