Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    OK, I'm sure this must be possible as every phone i've ever owned or seen has had the option somewhere, but how do I request delivery confirmation for SMS and MMS?

Is it buried in the system settings, as I cant see it in the messaging app.

Thanks
    nope.

and I have never seen this on any phone I had.

now I want it.
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    You've never seen it?
    I have never seen a phone without is. lol.

Except the pre that is
    bahram likes this.
    My Windows Mobile phones did this by default. Drove me absolutely crazy, and I hacked them to turn the feature off.

I like it far better that I'm told when a message does not get through.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    My windows mobile (6 & 6.1) phones didn't. Both had an option under 'message options' submenu called 'request delivery notification' which was off by default.
    Both my Symbian phones had the option to. My GF samsung and LG phones have the option, my mums 20 motorola has the option.....Palm need to add this to 1.3 IMO
    Seems like the completion of the text is the confirmation (IMO). It shows when its sending, and remains gray until its sent. Then, it turns black (the text) when it was successfully sent. If you dont get an error, then it was sent. There's your confirmation that it was delivered.

Or are you talking about read confirmations like Outlook has in email?
    No, he means like VZW TXT can actually tell u if the message was delivered to the recipients handset. The Hero does that and a few other Sprint phones. Not all of them though.
    Given that the person on the other end has a cellular phone....I call them if I need to make 100% sure that they get my message.
    Delivery receipts are a standard part of the SMS protocol. It's optional, and most phones ship with it switched off. It's basically an Ack message for the SMS message,
    on delivery, so it's covered in the cost of sending the SMS message.

I always switch them on, otherwise you only know the message was successfully passed to the network, but never know if it was delivered or not.

I just got my Pre here in Ireland, and haven't found an option for it yet.
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Exactly, there's no charge and IMO very useful to know that a message has got through. Busy times like New Year etc can mean LONG delays for some messages getting through and delivery confirmation is one of the few means of knowing for sure if/when a message has arrived. Likewise if someone has their phone turned on, the message will be acknowledged when the phone is turned back on and received. Again, very useful IMO
    Some of my friends take forever if at all to reply to my text messages. I had delivery confirmation on my BB curve but then future updates removed it (not sure why). But anyways I would love to have delivery confirmation so that I know for sure they got the text. Sometimes network congestion on either end will result in a failure to deliver or a log delay for delivery. We often relay quick bits of info by text rather than calling each other to relay one sentence of info or less. But it is important to know that the tid bit of info was delivered.
    Not sure if this'll work in the States, but in the UK, on O2 if you prefix your msg with *0# it will send you a delivery notification. This has been a feature of O2 ever since I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostieUK View Post
    Not sure if this'll work in the States, but in the UK, on O2 if you prefix your msg with *0# it will send you a delivery notification. This has been a feature of O2 ever since I can remember.
    ghostieUk is correct, this is the only way you can get a delivery confirmation on O2 UK, their network doesn't support it automatically. Try a search on google and you will see.
    wth, the lack of an error message is your confirmation.....
    I think someone above mentioned this, but, vickmackey, the only thing confirmed by the lack of an error message is that it was sent, not that it was received. For what its worth, i'd never heard of such an option before.
    It seams mainly people in the US that haven't heard of this, been a popular feature in europe for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalild View Post
    It seams mainly people in the US that haven't heard of this, been a popular feature in europe for a long time.
    yeah in europe its pretty big, like hotmail support!
    like during new years, if you sent a message you want to know they got it, otherwise you'll just be charged for something that didnt go through!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUK View Post
    ghostieUk is correct, this is the only way you can get a delivery confirmation on O2 UK, their network doesn't support it automatically. Try a search on google and you will see.
    Now could someone write a patch so that this gets entered at the start of each SMS you send? Or is there one on the way?

Thanks
    Vas
    SMS Delivery receipt is pretty much standard in Europe. This option was available on every phone I've ever had.
    Someone mentioned about the message going from grey to black; that is not the same as delivery receipt from what I have been able to work out. It simply means the msg has been sent
    In the UK (on O2) you can put a *0# in front of the message to get a delivery receipt.
    Note: The *0# goes in front of the message text itself and not in front of the number
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast