Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    We have some people reporting success in the Netherlands (here, in Dutch). I wonder though: is it needed to completely reflash the device? I would think that the whole procedure only changes one or two files. Wouldn't it be easier to change just these two files?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by robvanvliet View Post
    We have some people reporting success in the Netherlands (here, in Dutch). I wonder though: is it needed to completely reflash the device? I would think that the whole procedure only changes one or two files. Wouldn't it be easier to change just these two files?
    The procedure changes a single byte in an area of nonvolatile flash memory that is currently only able to be changed safely by the Palm installation tool during a reflash of the whole device.

-- Rod
    After upgrading to webOS 1.3.1 (Sprint on GSM), the patch still worked!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick99999 View Post
    After upgrading to webOS 1.3.1 (Sprint on GSM), the patch still worked!
    That's because it's not a patch

It changes the token in the NVRAM area which is the same method used by Palm at manufacture.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's because it's not a patch

It changes the token in the NVRAM area which is the same method used by Palm at manufacture.
    Rod,

If I got you right, using your "method" you can actually switch between Palm predefined keyboard layouts ? I guess there's no predefined layout for Eastern Europe ?

I would actually need to change set of characters that appears when I press SYM key. Any idea ?

thanks

Kreso
    hi
    i am from china, i really need your technology for my blackberry
    but i havent known how to change my cellphone,
    can you writte more details and share software link,
    thanks a lot !
    Rod, looks like you are absolutely brillant in getting round the Pre, may be you can help, I am willing to do anything just to get this out of my system..... I have the German version of the Pre, last night it asked to upgrade to the webos 1.3.1, after that I cannot get access to the appl catalog, tried help lines, not for the first time, took me to a wrong direction, and after resetting loss all the free apps I have loaded from the appl catalog as some have become critical..... any suggestions, I WILL gladly donate whether you can find a solution or not.......
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom View Post
    Rod,

If I got you right, using your "method" you can actually switch between Palm predefined keyboard layouts ? I guess there's no predefined layout for Eastern Europe ?

I would actually need to change set of characters that appears when I press SYM key. Any idea ?

thanks

Kreso
    The modification is pretty simple, you have to change the keyboard special chars file, it's located at /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.47/resources/en_us/alternatechars_fulltable.json in the newest 1.3.1. The verson number "200.47" may change with a new fw version.

You also have to change all keyboard files in that directory (or, at least the files for your kb variant QWERTY/QWERTZ/AZERTY) to get it working.

If you want, you can also modify the datetime_table.json to teach your Pre Croatian date and time words :-)

If you don't wanna modify the english translation (take the "clean way"), you have to create a new locale, the guide is available at Abclinuxu.cz (in Czech, English translation here).
    it's a shame that palm doesn't offer an easy solution for this.
    i'm german and use a qwerty mbp, this makes a qwertz pre pretty much unusable for me.
    i called o2 and palm, both of them couldn't offer me a qwerty pre or an option to change the layout.
    i really did consider buying a pre, but i guess this save me a couple hundred bucks
    i thought palm wanted to be not as restrictive as apple, guess what, the iphone supports a wide range of layouts.

this is freakin crazy!
    can someone posted the webosdoctor with "qwerty" method
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemak View Post
    can someone posted the webosdoctor with "qwerty" method
    Posting modified versions of the webOS Doctor would violate Palm's copyright.

See post #3 for the method to create your own private copy.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Hello,
    I'd like to throw a little idea. I suppose you are aware of the fact that the setkeycodes command works in Palm Pre... If you run:

setkeycodes 15 44
    setkeycodes 2c 21

from novaterm you're done, Y is Z and Z is Y ...
    All you have to make is a bash script that does this thing during boot because this change only lasts untill reboot.
    All wanna say is that this way you can provide a simple script that does it because the whole procedure is quite complicated for the simple user.
    So, it is just an idea...
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by diosif View Post
    Hello,
    I'd like to throw a little idea. I suppose you are aware of the fact that the setkeycodes command works in Palm Pre... If you run:

setkeycodes 15 44
    setkeycodes 2c 21

from novaterm you're done, Y is Z and Z is Y ...
    All you have to make is a bash script that does this thing during boot because this change only lasts untill reboot.
    All wanna say is that this way you can provide a simple script that does it because the whole procedure is quite complicated for the simple user.
    So, it is just an idea...
    It's a very good idea. I was not aware of the setkeycodes command.

Does it work all throughout both the GUI and the command line?

-- Rod
    Yes, it does. Tried setting the mapping from the Terminal app on the Pre and it was applied both to the command line and GUI.

But diosif, the parameters are apparently wrong, the "15 44" command mapped the "Z" key output on the "C" physical key. Maybe the Pre scancodes are different from the standard AT scancodes. Gotta do some research

EDIT: Found some keycodes and scancodes. Not sure how are they organized because there's no showkey utility on the phone so I can't just run it and see which scancodes are assigned to which keys.

Scancodes (e.g. the keys generate these codes, the first setkeycodes parameter):
    05 = W
    06 = R
    07 = Y
    08 = I
    09 = P
    0f = A
    10 = D
    1a = F
    1b = V
    1c = N
    1d = "- ," key

Keycodes (characters generated by the keys, the second setkeycodes parameter):
    11 = @ ("at" sign)
    16 = Q (and the increments, e.g. 17 = W, 18 = E, etc.)
    30 = A
    44 = Z
    42 = shift
    28 = enter
    14 = delete
    Last edited by czechdev; 12/27/2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: some keycodes and scancodes found
    Sorry fellas, i didn't actually test the codes on the Pre, I just tested that the command works on it...
    Czechdev made a good start searching for the codes, I think I will complete it. As soon as we have the codes, a simple script in /etc/init.d will do the job (let me research that too, i am not a Linux guru... Not yet ).
    Unfortunately, the rest of Linux keyboard commands like showkey, xmodmap, getkeycodes etc don't work on Pre. I'll test for loadkeys tonight. If this works, there's a good chance we can have alternative international keyboards soon...
    A little more info about the keyboard:
    In desktop linux, the Xserver (X11) uses completely different keymap tables than the console. But, as it seems, in Pre Luna uses the same. I don't have the emulator now (I am in work) but I will test it more thoroughly and hopefully it will lead to a solution both for qwertz->qwerty (I mean an easy solution for the normal user, not requiring reflashing the device) and for International keyboard layouts. I wish us all luck...
    So, here we are... The correct command are

setkeycodes 07 44
    setkeycodes 14 21

and the qwertz becomes qwerty until the next reboot of the phone...The fix remains throughrestarts of Luna!
    The complete table is in the attached file... I am just missing the keycode for sym key..
    Last edited by diosif; 01/05/2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: New evidence
    Here is the complete keycode / scancode table ...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Great work! Now just gotta transform it to a patch and load it to Preware :-)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast