Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, it's really not that exciting, but it does work (at least for proof of concept)...

Go to Device Info, scroll down and select More Info.
    Then Click Preferences (the menu) and select Interactive Tests
    Select Audio, and leave just Phone checked, and select Start
    Hit Yes (to "Did you hear the sound?")
    And there is your Voice Recorder app...

It'll only record 1 message (as long as you leave it running as a card), but it'll at least let you leave yourself a message while driving in the car until you can transcribe it into a handwritten memo.

More importantly, though, it proves it is possible (prior posts stated the Pre didn't have the hardware, or we had to wait for xyz API's from palm, etc). Even an quick start link to the above "app" would be helpful, but I'm sure it could be "hacked" into a full app?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Far out! Nice discovery.
    wow great find surprised it wasn't found earlier
    Hmmm, interesting. While an official API for record is still sorely needed, it seems that maybe it might be possible for apps with the com.palm. namespace to take advantage of that.

If you want to take a look at the function, look at /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.crotest/app/controllers/audioTelephone-assistant.jsjsjs $at$ $around$ $line$ $175$ $or$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$crotest$/$app$/$controllers$/$audioHeadsetMicrophone$-$assistant$.$js$ $at$ $line$ $210$.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I tried the all of the test once before and noticed that! Not very handy though!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Nice find, thanks.
    awesome! someone do a 'I am T-Pain' port now lol
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Is this new in 1.2? Great found!

I hope they're smart enough to turn this into an app. Maybe they'll include it in their upcoming recorder (so you can choose if you want to record video or just audio).
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    yea, I did kinda feel this was an app that was missing from the Pre. Of course next I'll want to record phone conversations.
    That has been there since launch day. It's not new. Until the SDK can you give us access to it, it's kinda of just an idle "hurry and wait" mode. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i wonder if the folks at webos internals know bout this! we really should keep this thread alive because i'm sure if dieter or anyone else on the editorial staff knew about this we would have seen it on the front page! we must spread the word! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    i wonder if the folks at webos internals know bout this! we really should keep this thread alive because i'm sure if dieter or anyone else on the editorial staff knew about this we would have seen it on the front page! we must spread the word! lol
    I did mention it when I was a guest on the PalmCast not too long ago, pretty sure he knows
    ive notice this b4.. if you guys ever did the test.. it tells you to speak into the phone then when your done you can play it back to se if you can here it.. i think its to test the mic..... if that is what your talking about
    No hone has said it's not possible. It's just not available to developers in the SDK to use properly. That's why you won't see apps like Shazam in the app store until it is available for developers. Can they find a way to utilitze it and put an app in homebrew? Most likely.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Bump
    well it proves pre is able my test only allowed about a 3 second msg.
    when I selected done & returned to test & hit playback the msg was gone.
    but if didn't press done & kept card open the recording prrsisted.
    wow really you didn't know this?
    I really would like to record phone conversations....
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    What this proves is how weak the palm SDK is, and how few documented APIs there are.

Now this can be a negative, or a positive. I have 15 months left on the Pre till I can upgrade, so I am very patiently going to enjoy it as the SDK gets more robust and the phone evolves.

This phone has pretty decent hardware (on par with iphone 3GS and Droid) so its going to do fine as the SDK evolves into WebOS 2.0 and beyond.
    I have 15 months left on the Pre till I can upgrade,...
    If you're on Sprint, you have 3 (assuming you're talking about the standard 2 year contract-- Sprint only makes you wait a year before they'll subsides a new phone for you.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast