Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    How do I get the LED flashlight to work without rooting?
    installing preware or opening dev mode to do so is not considered rooting your pre ,all the rooting to figure out everything has already been done for you . your just enabling your phone to side load homebrew apps (apps in testing) is all
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    sal87,

Unless I misread the post you provided, that is for LED notifications... not LED flashlight (i.e. flashlight app that uses the camera flash).

fry8,

I believe that there isn't a way to enable the camera flash without rooting at the present time.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ohh mybad i misread it
    in either case, WebOS Quick Install should be able to be a no-rooting-required solution
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    How do we do that? I added both the flashlight service and the program and the LED flashlight wont work (the one that uses the camera flash as a flashlight)
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    i don't know about the preware way to do it -I used QuickInstall at the time. But when you install the Flashlight app, it ALSO needs the Flashlight Service along with it!!

when i Dr'd my Pre, I didn't know it needed both & figured it out... PM me if you need more specific...
    Last edited by licotto; 10/18/2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add PM message
  8. jut
    I am having trouble finding the flashlight. I installed it via preware but had to doctor a few days ago, now i dont see it. I looked in preware and quickinstall and i dont see the app nor the flashlight service. am i just blind and missing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    I am having trouble finding the flashlight. I installed it via preware but had to doctor a few days ago, now i dont see it. I looked in preware and quickinstall and i dont see the app nor the flashlight service. am i just blind and missing it?
    I can't find it either. Sucks I use that app often.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Just curious if anybody knows what happened to PreGame's My Flashlight app. It seems to have disappeared from PreWare. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vkewalra View Post
    Just curious if anybody knows what happened to PreGame's My Flashlight app. It seems to have disappeared from PreWare. Thanks
    The ipk version disappeared from the canuck software feed while my hosting company is down for maintainence
    I've done this by:
    1) Install Preware via WebOS Quick Install (which means installing the SDK on your computer first).
    2) Install the services that Preware requires (forget the names, I think there are two).
    3) Wait a couple of minutes (until your phone comes back in service) and then install Preware itself.
    4) Install the flashlight service via Preware (might be done automatically in next step?)
    5) Install the LED flashlight app via Preware.

No "rooting" is required for just about anything anymore. Preware and/or WebOS Quick Install are all you need.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    It's been a while since I installed that app, but if memory serves, you may have to reboot your Pre to start the service after installing it.

So, if it all installs without error, but still won't work, try a reboot. orange+sym+r
  14. jut
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I've done this by:
    1) Install Preware via WebOS Quick Install (which means installing the SDK on your computer first).
    2) Install the services that Preware requires (forget the names, I think there are two).
    3) Wait a couple of minutes (until your phone comes back in service) and then install Preware itself.
    4) Install the flashlight service via Preware (might be done automatically in next step?)

No "rooting" is required for just about anything anymore. Preware and/or WebOS Quick Install are all you need.

This works when the app is in preware, but its no longer there. anyone know what happened to it and if itll be back?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I've done this by:

so i can install preware without rooting......thats not what it says.....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    It is easy to do through Preware, but it looks like Jason's feed is down for a few days.

In Preware, click "List of Everything", and type "flash"

Install the Flashlight Service, then the app, then restart.

But, might take a few days for Jason's feed to return
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    I'm confused. Do you mean "not what I (blclancy) said or not what someone else said? If someone else, who are you talking about? Preware itself? WebOS Quick Install obviates the need to "root" your Pre (which I'm defining in this context as logging in via novaterm, installing some ipk packages to do things like ssh, creating a non-root login id, and giving that user sudo privileges). You can just use the steps I mentioned using WebOS QI instead. You can also run "root" shell commands on your Pre when it is connected to WebOS QI. If I'm still not understanding what you meant, please restate or clarify your comment and I or someone else will try and help you through what you need to know to proceed.
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/23/2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: clarified my answer a bit.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    in that other thread I got the LED flashligh service and the flashlight program from the linked webpage, installed with with quick install and the flashlight doesnt work

nice icon, though
    I can't find the LED flashlight program anywhere. Will someone go through the steps again and make sure this does work?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast