View Poll Results: Should I exchange for a new Pre?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, these issues are worth it

1 14.29%
  • No, you are being paranoid - it's fine

5 71.43%
  • Maybe, but you risk getting a Pre with worse issues

1 14.29%
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while and received a Pre finally on Friday. I love the phone/WebOS and have been setting it up for the last day. Please don't misunderstand this post, I want to get an idea from people if these are non-issues or if I should consider exchanging the phone since I plan on having this for the next two years.

1) Backlight Inconsistency (leaks?) - the color is not even throughout the screen. It looks darker and brighter in certain areas. The thing is, this only becomes apparent on certain screens (e.g.: when browsing the app store or viewing help or playing a video). If you put on polarized sunglasses and look at the screen, the left side and lower right corner of the phone have dark blotches compared to the rest of the screen.

2) Right side of the phone is not flush with the rest of the phone. The top (screen) half of the phone protrudes an additional 1-2 millimeters from the lower half (keyboard) when closed - the protrusion is only on the left side of the phone. The main reason this concerns me is because when I hold the phone closed, I feel the sharp edge of the screen instead of the volume rocker.

3) Single dead pixel. I'm not too concerned about this one (barely noticable and I'm lucky to only have one), but it is smack dab in the middle.

4) Wiggle / OREO. Don't have any issue here when open. When closed the two halves will move just a nudge, but nothing alarming. As long as this doesn't turn into something that gets bad over time, I'll be okay here.

So am I just being paranoid or are any of these worth talking to Sprint about? I don't want to take advantage of Sprint/Palm and only want to have a reliable phone that will last me a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm on my 6th pre through exchanging due to keyboard, dead pixels, oreo issues. If you are chasing a screen without backlight inconsistencies then you will be chasing for a very long time.

I don't see the dead pixel on your screen though.

The oreo is a gamble because you could get one worse and worse. If you have patience, then just keep exchanging.
    if your not happy then go make urself happy until then you wont be happy .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    That blue image on the apps looks like that.

If you want to test your screen, go to:

Device Info -> More Info -> Preferences -> Interactive Tests -> Screen

You can test how each color appears when you are actually just looking at the true colors, not some artifacts from the image you are viewing.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 10/19/2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by threefiftyli View Post
    I don't see the dead pixel on your screen though.
    It is very noticable when the screen is green or blue... (maybe it's not truly a dead pixel but rather one that needs to be worked with?)

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    That blue images on the apps looks like that.

If you want to test your screen, go to:

Device Info -> More Info -> Preferences -> Interactive Tests -> Screen

You can test how each color appears when you are actually just looking at the true colors, not some artifacts from the image you are viewing.
    Thanks for that bit of info. It appears clear in all colors there minus the one pixel I mentioned above. I suppose the only real issue I may have is the protrusion of the side of the screen.

Like Shadavis08 said, I'll never be happy if I'm unhappy right now. I think I'm happy, but will give it another few days to see how I feel about this actual model before I consider exchanging if necessary.