1.    #1  
    I love the palm pre, but am locked to AT&T due to a family plan. I am planning to buy a gsm version of the pre to use on AT&T. It seems the 3g bands are compatible with AT&T's american bands. However, i am not sure how to bypass the sim-lock predicament. Does anyone know if the german pre is compatible with an american AT&T sim? Ideally, i want a UK pre unlocked. How long would it take to unlock it? Also, if i were to buy a gsm pre, what are the trusted web sites that are selling/will sell them? Thanks for your time.

I found some retailers, but they seem unrealistic.

i looked here:

Palm Pre Smartphone Unlocked Import at MobileCityOnline.com

It seems too good to be true. It's a qwerty and unlocked for only $700.

Also this:
    Negri Electronics - iPhones, Pocket PC's, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, Ultra Mobile PC's, PDA's, GPS Devices, Cameras and More...

It's also qwerty and unlocked, with an oddly specific release date of november 20.

How reliable are these???
    Last edited by spectralfish; 10/18/2009 at 07:36 PM.
    i wana know this to had a pre on sprint but due to life stuff im on att (got the 8900) and im dying to get a pre again
    The German Pre is unlocked and its CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 database contains all the AT&T APN info needed. It SHOULD work without a problem.
  4.    #4  
    really? Then what's with all the problems at the "Official getting a simlock-free (GSM) Pre thread, all countries" thread?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    really? Then what's with all the problems at the "Official getting a simlock-free (GSM) Pre thread, all countries" thread?
    The fact that the German Pre has a QWERTZ keyboard - which isn't too popular outside of Germany... (maybe there's some 'internal' stuff which is different too).
  6.    #6  
    wait, so is it really true that the german palm pre works completely fine on AT&T in the US? There is no need for unlocking, hacking, etc? All i have to do is stick my AT&T sim card in, select english and it will work without any hassles (besides the annoying "z/y switch and the /$ replacement" keyboard)? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by spectralfish; 10/18/2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    No it's not 100% sure to work. People on some supported (non German) operators that are in the list of CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 still can not use the Pre for data connections (GPRS/UMTS).
    im pretty sure some kind of mod is need to correct carrier settings allowing 3G, i know theres a secret menu when you get to the palm profile creation screen but i dont remember how to get there ( i work at BestBuy Mobile and was on phone with a sprint rep who helped me out, re activating a palm pre) really hope this is tested soon
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    I love the palm pre, but am locked to AT&T due to a family plan. I am planning to buy a gsm version of the pre to use on AT&T. It seems the 3g bands are compatible with AT&T's american bands. However, i am not sure how to bypass the sim-lock predicament. Does anyone know if the german pre is compatible with an american AT&T sim? Ideally, i want a UK pre unlocked. How long would it take to unlock it? Also, if i were to buy a gsm pre, what are the trusted web sites that are selling/will sell them? Thanks for your time.

I found some retailers, but they seem unrealistic.

i looked here:

Palm Pre Smartphone Unlocked Import at MobileCityOnline.com

It seems too good to be true. It's a qwerty and unlocked for only $700.

Also this:
    Negri Electronics - iPhones, Pocket PC's, Smart Phones, Cell Phones, Ultra Mobile PC's, PDA's, GPS Devices, Cameras and More...

It's also qwerty and unlocked, with an oddly specific release date of november 20.

How reliable are these???
    Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    No one is asking about the App Catalog. What catalog do the international versions connect to? And can you change the catalog source to be the same as Sprint's here in tue USA?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+