1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

First of all, great forum here with unlimited resources...I will have to spend days reading everything and unlocking the true power of this device.

While I am 100% happy with the pre and webOS, I noticed the slight wiggle in the top screen that has the oreo effect as many call it. I was well aware of this before buying the phone and prayed to several deities of choice to bless me, but they let me down (again...sigh) and I got a twisty one. It's not that bad unless I put significant pressure on it. In fact, it doesn't wiggle visibly at all if I press DOWN on the screen and try to twist.

But if I just twist with some force and without pressure on the top of the screen it will kinda of get off the rail and have the oreo effect. Based on your experiences is this serious compared to what is the "normal" oreo effect?

Also, how should I explain this to the Best Buy rep I bought it from? I really don't want to have to argue with anyone to get this exchanged for a 100% wiggle-free pre. Thanks in advance guys, and for everything else you've built up here
    u just said it urself u need force to force the oreo effect...stop messing with it..u dont need to exchange bc all pre's do it
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Its inherent in the design of the Pre. Yours doesn't sound too bad if you have to go out your way to make it wiggle. Feeling any movement whatsoever drove me crazy but eventually I just learned to live with it. Once you have the Pre for a while and stop analyzing it you wont notice it much anymore. Also, you can get one one of various covers to protect your Pre, which as a nice side effect will greatly reduce or eliminate the oreo effect while its in the case. The Sprint branded case is the best for that (but its also one of the least attractive looking ones..life is full of trade off though what can you do)
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys, I have decided to swallow my pride and stick with this semi-wobbly pre. I compared it with my friend's pre and his was way worse.

I don't want to throw the dice and get stuck with a crappier build quality one. Also I kinda already made it "my own" now.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I think what you're describing is totally normal behavior. Mine does that, too. My first Pre had the "Oreo" problem, so I took it back to the sprint store. They were totally empty so the patient woman working there let me try all of the Pres they had. Every one of them had the thing where if you pressed down it was tight and if you went a little past that point it twisted slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    u just said it urself u need force to force the oreo effect...stop messing with it..u dont need to exchange bc all pre's do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    Its inherent in the design of the Pre. Yours doesn't sound too bad if you have to go out your way to make it wiggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdninja View Post
    I think what you're describing is totally normal behavior.
    +1

Every slider phone I have ever owned, regardless of manfacturer, has had some small degree of "oreo." In fact, one samsung slider I owned didn't have enough 'oreo' so I worked it back and forth until I had put some slack into the rails.

This is what happens when people google first, think second.

If a slider had absolutely not slack or wiggle of any kind, it would be a pain in the **** to open and close. Especially one like the Pre where the slid mechanism is curved.
    my pre, acquired in late september, did NOT have concerning wiggle.

there was a tiny bit of slack that, though not ideal, was acceptable.

HOWEVER, 20 days later, with good phone treatment -- no abuse, no drops -- i noticed today that it now has noticeable wiggle.

even with LIGHT pressure - just holding the phone -- itll displace 1mm clockwise. small number on cursory glance yes but it feels way loose. definitely NOT within any engeering or manufacturing tolerances.

P.O.S.
    When I first got my Pre it didn't have any wiggle, and it wasn't a pain to open. But the basic design of the sliding rails, which are short and have only one small contact shoe each, makes the pieces prone to rotation. Having two shoes on each rail spaced apart would fix this. It's either an oversight or a decision made in the interest of maximizing profit margin, but it's something I can live with.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I believe 1mm or less of play is "Normal" on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    It's either an oversight or a decision made in the interest of maximizing profit margin, but it's something I can live with.

maximizing profit margin sums up the loose slider on the Pre.
    Broke companies have to make tough decisions.
    If the Pre didn't come out when it did, Palm might have been RIP by now.