Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    It looks like the ability to add widgets to a home scene is one of the big differentiator of Andriod. Is that some of you would want to see added to Pre?

I asked the question, because I never found myself fond of widgets. I have tried them on PC, on webpages, and I looked at Hero's demos, but none was appealing and easy enough for me to keep using them. I wonder if I am the minority here.

Widgets suppose to make you see information easier, without opening an app. However, the screen is just that small, even on a PC monitor, I don't want to a bunch of small stuff eat up my screen space. Eventually the widgets would be covered up by something else and I still have to go find them. And how easy is it to find the one widget you want to use among 10 that you added to the desktop?

Widgets is also a huge distraction. Take news feed for example. Unless there is something huge that I must know, most of the news do not affect me much right away.

Hero did a smart thing about having 7 screens and each can have a different set of widgets. But how different is it between switching screens and switching apps on a Pre?
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Not for me. I want information when I need it instead of being distracted by widgets that leach my resources all of the time.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    No...don't need them. For the 2 or 3 things I need (want) to know "instantly" I just leave the cards open.....as PALM intended.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The activity of widgets is replaced on the pre by either leaving cards open, or having applications that send you notifications (ie. twitter and eventually facebook)
    Widgets seem useful but I think the Pre's system is just as good, if not even better.
    i dont think pre needs widgets, just like you i tried widgets on my computer and thought they were useless after a few days.

i think palm did a great job with the notifications, so we will never need widgets
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by eheaps View Post
    The activity of widgets is replaced on the pre by either leaving cards open, or having applications that send you notifications (ie. twitter and eventually facebook)
    Widgets seem useful but I think the Pre's system is just as good, if not even better.
    i doesn't do widgets. i doesn't want em.
    ... I would definitely want the option of having widgets, I think they're great
    This signature for rent
    If WebOS worked as intended, I think widgets would be utterly pointless. You could leave browser windows open as you do on a PC, memory would be managed behind the scenes properly, and you could open up new ones at will.

But WebOS doesn't quite work this way, and many people here have gotten into the habit (as evidenced by a recent thread on the subject) of closing cards so that all their memory doesn't get gobbled up and they get memory errors with just one or two cards open (or even no cards!).

But if Palm can't manage web pages on a Web-native OS, I highly doubt adding widgets would be the answer.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I think its a waste of space!
    No thanks, but I don't really like them on PCs either
    widget is nice in a way. But I played with the Hero and I think it cluttered the screen too much. I don't mind having that option so that I can turn it on when I want to.
    I'd like certain widgets on my home screen, such as the current weather and Hi/Low temperature of the day, a preview of unread emails (even after I've swiped the notification away), my next upcoming calendar event, a photo frame would be cool, a list of my web bookmarks, and a list of my music playlists.

I know some people would tell me just to leave the card open, but some of these widgets would take up less space than a card.
    I would like to have the option available.

Widgets are nothing special compared to the palm webOS since we have cards which are vastly superior IMO. For example you can close cards on a whim to save resources, and reorganize much easier via dragging and what not without going into cumbersome menus.

I think Widgets differentiate Android from the iPhone on AT&T which is Verizon's biggest competitor, so they are marketing it as an end-all-be-all "feature."

But gadget gurus like us know about cards on the pre and it's really not that flashy IMO.

I had a super hard choice deciding between android and webOS to be honest, but finally committed to webOS despite crappy palm quality assurance on the pre's slider because webOS just seems sooo much more polished and clean (clutter-free).

One look at android and I felt like I was on windows mobile again (I was using the hero for android) with the widgets everywhere and the all too familiar htc skin that looked like touch flo. Bad memories...I am with webOS and never looking back. The palm pre is probably the perfect device for me, if only this ******* slider was fixed. I might exchange it but the wiggle isn't that bad...I am however anal retentive and want stuff I pay for to be perfect.
    I would leave cards open if it didn't lag the phone so damn much. Luna takes up all the system ram! Need moar optimization.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitou kid View Post
    Widgets are nothing special compared to the palm webOS since we have cards which are vastly superior IMO. For example you can close cards on a whim to save resources, and reorganize much easier via dragging and what not without going into cumbersome menus.
    Uh...again, you really should try a Hero for some time before coming to this determination.

The Facebook widget alone flies in the face of this. I was more satisfied with that in 10 minutes than I was with the entirety of the full Facebook site, x.facebook, m.facebook, lite,facebook, and the FF app combined. It stays up all day with no real draw on resources, auto-updates, and shows me EVERYTHING I want to see. One tap, and I'm in the full app, and I can shake to manually refresh if I so desire.

The Google Search widget with voice search...wondrous. Why open the keyboard and start typing like on Pre when you can tap and start talking instead?

A well-designed widget is great when you have seven screens of real estate to put it on. I couldn't keep seven cards up for more than thirty minutes without getting "Too Many Cards" errors.
    Palm does still have some memory issues to fix. Every update makes it a little better, but there still seems to be some issue. We should be able to keep more cards open. Be that as it may, I still prefer the "clean" philosophy to the "widget" philosophy. I understand the advantages of both, and I think it's really up to personal preference as to which is better. I like webOS sans widgets. But it would be nice to have the option for them some day. I think this would be very possible with some restructuring of webOS to allow the background to be a card as well. I don't know whether Palm will want to go that way, but I think it could be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh...again, you really should try a Hero for some time before coming to this determination.

The Facebook widget alone flies in the face of this. I was more satisfied with that in 10 minutes than I was with the entirety of the full Facebook site, x.facebook, m.facebook, lite,facebook, and the FF app combined. It stays up all day with no real draw on resources, auto-updates, and shows me EVERYTHING I want to see. One tap, and I'm in the full app, and I can shake to manually refresh if I so desire.

The Google Search widget with voice search...wondrous. Why open the keyboard and start typing like on Pre when you can tap and start talking instead?

A well-designed widget is great when you have seven screens of real estate to put it on. I couldn't keep seven cards up for more than thirty minutes without getting "Too Many Cards" errors.
    I think it comes down to launch times and resource management. If it takes too long to launch something, the user will hesitate and maybe even do something else.

Widgets are essentially apps small enough for the user to be able to keep running in the background or launch very quickly. They are usually not more than dashboards, just for monitoring some activity at a glance. Their immediate availability is their essential feature.

I don't know yet what the FB app Palm is working will look like, but as a webOS app, it should properly use the dashboard area for ongoing updates instead of requiring an open card or having to resort to a widget.

That said, Palm has to address the open cards resource management issues.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Obviously some vocal people don't want widgets.

Some of us do want widgets.

The only middle ground that's going to be found between "I want this" and "I don't want this" is if there is options for either position to get what they want. A good way to do this would be through the theming interface, similar to what RIM does. I wouldn't expect this before WebOS 2.0 though. It's definitely something I'd put on my personal wish-list though.

This thread has been made several times. Don't know why the similar threads feature isn't working so well.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast