Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    got my Pre on launch on friday and already I'm getting a very slight oreo effect. Dunno if its just me but it seems to be getting worse there's probably about 1mm or 2 of movement now from almost none on launch day. should I try to get O2 to replace it? anyone else had oreo issues with their GSM pres?
    There seems to be variations as to whether people have this affect or not. If you are not happy I would advise getting a replacement from o2, otherwise it will always be a niggle in your mind while using the phone.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Hi, I had a UK pre with the oreo effect and got it swapped out by o2. The staff at the shop where not convinced it was an issue initially. See here http://forums.precentral.net/worldwi...ml#post1981967
    is there a difference in versions? for example my old n82 nokia was a n82-v1 (version 1).........its unlikely that this is whats happening with the pre but just curious
  5.    #5  
    mine's not really that bad, just worried that it will get worse.

does anyone know how to get the manufacture dates etc? I've tried the ##786# but they dont work.
    Full disclosure: I have a sprint CDMA Pre.

Mine had a slight oreo effect when closed when I bought it 4 months ago. I have no idea how or why, but it seems to have gotten better over time. I barely have any now. My advice:

1. Don't mess with it.
    2. If you have to mess with it, don't push very hard.
    3. When opening the device, use two hands: put each your thumbs on each side of the bottom of the screen and push up that way. It will open easier and won't stress the "hinges," or whatever it is that makes it twist.
    4. When plugging in headphones, brace the holding hand against the bottom section containing the jack, not against the screen section.
    5. Just generally minimize actions that will cause the screen to twist.

Strangely, my oreo effect waxes and wanes. Last week I had a period where it seemed to be looser, this week it's back to being pretty solid. So, the slider doesn't have to continuously degrade. If the oreo effect you already have is unacceptable to you, you can try returning it. Otherwise, see #1.
    If you cannot handle a tiny bit of wiggle then do not buy a slider.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    This tiny wiggle doesn't bother me, I'm just worried that it seems to be getting worse.
    It must be down to your use then. A new Pre will not solve that problem. Regardless you have a two year warranty if it is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post

"Tiny wiggle" isn't always tiny on a Pre. At least the ones I've played with. For an example, my mom has a Samsung slider phone and even after a year it's still smooth and just as new.

Hopefully Palm will rectify this with Pre2
    All of the complaints I have seen involve a couple of millimeters so, yes, it is a tiny wiggle and it should be expected from a slider.

To be completely fair, I've had XDA sliders for the past four years and while they had a wiggle to them, it was - or felt - slighter than what I'm experiencing with my Pre right now. With all other sliders I've worked with, you could wiggle them with your hand but they'd go back to normal position afterwards; when I 'oreo' my Pre's screen, something jams and holds it in ever-so-slightly turned position (< 1) until I oreo it back.

I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP in that I notice it but don't know what (if anything) I should do about it. I, too, don't pay too much attention to it but am kinda afraid that the screen gets worse and, in a year, can be turned by 45 and works about half the time if lucky. That's all, fear. Of course do sliders budge a little, but this budges just a little more than a little, and in a device that you begin to love as dearly after five minutes of usage as the Pre, that makes you wonder...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    To be completely fair, I've had XDA sliders for the past four years and while they had a wiggle to them, it was - or felt - slighter than what I'm experiencing with my Pre right now. With all other sliders I've worked with, you could wiggle them with your hand but they'd go back to normal position afterwards; when I 'oreo' my Pre's screen, something jams and holds it in ever-so-slightly turned position (< 1) until I oreo it back.

I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP in that I notice it but don't know what (if anything) I should do about it. I, too, don't pay too much attention to it but am kinda afraid that the screen gets worse and, in a year, can be turned by 45 and works about half the time if lucky. That's all, fear. Of course do sliders budge a little, but this budges just a little more than a little, and in a device that you begin to love as dearly after five minutes of usage as the Pre, that makes you wonder...
    I completely agree. My wife has had 2 slider phones the lg chocolate a siemens one and none of them had this problem. After digging around its clearly a design issue. Because palm didn't want any visible mechanisms when the phone is open they went for little metal tabs to hold the rails instead of interlocking rails which would've been much more sturdier.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pre. Just niggles that a premium product doesn't "feel" it.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    At the end of the day there is going to be a little give (wiggle) with Any handset that has a slider mechanism.

My Pre (4days old) has a little give but thats only because the runners have had their first few usage, there is no where for it to go once its been worn in the first 1-2mm, as its on rails.

More to the point these are mass manufactured electronic devices, every company has their niggles, ive owned a blackberry with a creaky backplate, an iPhone with a bit of light leak from the case mould and now a pre that has a little bit of give on the slider much like me very old samsung did years ago.

I like much of you was extreamly annoyed at first when i felt it wiggle, but at the end of the day its a phone and the phone works, whether or not it makes the occasional wiggle when i pop the keyboard out is not going to make a huge difference to the experiance of using the device.

P.S Obviously if my phone was spinning 45 degrees much like an Oreo i would be heading straight back to the shop

P.P.S As someone posted above what happens in 18months time if your screen is hanging off, Palm's nice 2 Year warranty has got you covered, where as apple cover you for 12 and offer to cover you for the other 12 for 60
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FinaTk View Post
    At the end of the day there is going to be a little give (wiggle) with Any handset that has a slider mechanism.
    Have to disagree. Having owned a Nokia 8800 from launch day, for 18 months, the slider mechanism was always 100% perfect.

If you are paying top top sums of money for a phone, which is the case for the Pre, you have to expect top top quality in return.
    You might not have noticed any give but I can guarantee that there will have been some regardless of how minimal it was.

but with the pre is well documented hwo bad is it.

the display ones in an o2 and P4U store had about 4-5mm wiggleing. it also feels very plasticy.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    it also feels very plasticy.
    I kind of got that feeling too. It was nullified by the fact that most Pre handsets in the stores have the matt back case, if the whole phone was that material it would ooze quality.

[OT]
    The screen looks/feels great though. Whilst the iPhone's screen almost has that 'sapphire coated glass' look, the Pre's is still quality.
    [/OT]
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    but with the pre is well documented hwo bad is it.
    Welcome to the Internet phenomenon. If by 'well documented' you mean of the small proportion of the Pre userbase that actively contributes online an even smaller proportion of those are complaining about their slider phone obviously having a tiny bit of wiggle then you would be correct. Of those an even smaller proportion will be genuine build issues while the majority will be people ridiculously whining about a few of millimeters at worst. People coming to the Internet with the sole purpose of complaining are not indicative of the entire Pre userbase.

IMO nothing wrong with complaining about a problem.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast