Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    it does look like it could be easily fixed, as you can see the sliding bits when you take the battery out.......some foam maybe could solve the problem?

(not that im going to try!)
    There was an article here on PreCentral on how to fix the give, but it's going to void your warranty. http://www.precentral.net/battling-p...fect-diy-style

Aquaman has a good (albeit probably temporary) fix for the effect listed in the comment section there. Even if I had to do that once a week with my Pre, I wouldn't consider it a massive burden when you remember that there's supposed to be at least a little bit of give in the slider mechanism.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    My Pre had about 1mm Oreo effect out of the box. I got it 6 days ago.

This, over the past few days, increased to a bit more, something like 1.5mm. The worst thing about it was that when sliding to the compact position, the screen part would sit wonky (i.e. at its full 1.5mm oreo) causing a ridge around the phone.

I managed to get it swapped at the O2 shop for a brand new one this evening. However this has about 0.5mm Oreo effect out of the box. I presume this is the flex that the slider needs. Well at least I hope.
    I'm on my 2nd o2 Palm Pre and the looseness because of the so called oreo effect is doing my nut, sometimes it just sits at an angle, it's really not good enough. Taking it back to o2 later, hopefully 3rd time lucky.
    Just got back with Pre numero 3! They had no problem changing it, agreed it was loose. What really surprised me though was the demo units in the O2 shop, they've either changed them since day one or tinkered with them because they are sturdy as hell now, not an ounce of give.

I hope to god I have better luck with this one. Stuck on web os 1.1.3 for the rest of the day
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Not my vids but this is the kind of build quality I've experienced, even when the Pre has been fresh out of the box... (I've had three now so enough experience!!)

How poor is that...
    1. i used nokia n95 and samsung. all sliders but you will never think about whether there is OREO. for pre, it took my attention immediately when i had it on hand. pretty frustrating, but i guess i can do nothing about it because i am in australia and mine is from USA. it cost me 870 AUD including postage. damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Not my vids but this is the kind of build quality I've experienced, even when the Pre has been fresh out of the box... (I've had three now so enough experience!!)

How poor is that...
    I guess it's a question of your personal tolerance, I would hardly call either of those 'oreo's significant. Mine has had a similar amount of give since day one and I didn't realise I had a 'problem' 'till I saw those vids. Obviously the crashing on closing and broken plastic are issues but a mm or 2 of give? How else is it going to open? I thought people were talking about a cm or more!
    1. i used nokia n95 and samsung. all sliders but you will never think about whether there is OREO. for pre, it took my attention immediately when i had it on hand. pretty frustrating, but i guess i can do nothing about it because i am in australia and mine is from USA. it cost me 870 AUD including postage. damn.
    My wife and daughter's LG 'chocolate's both have similar if not more give so I guess that's why I didn't see it as a problem. It just seems normal on a slider phone to me.
    If you think the play is not that bad you either haven't got Oreo or your a farmer!

Real Oreo is accompanied by a pronounced 'click' as the slider rides over the top of the guides/stops on the body of the phone. [It has almost nothing to do with the guides you can see when the battery is out] They are two little plastic pegs fixed to the body of the phone that sit inside the rim you can feel at the back of the slider.

The gap between the main body and the slider at or near the top of the phone will just accept a piece of heavy weight paper on a good Pre, in a Pre with Oreo it's more like a mm or more.

And if it's riding over the stops it's gonna break at some point

I love the Pre [I'm on my 3rd] but please don't try to make out there aren't some serious issues! And issues that have nothing to do with misuse or users being too picky.

ttfn
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123