Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Providing it is a legitimate problem then you would be correct. However you appear to have missed the fundamental point that reading about a problem on the Internet does not make that problem an inherent problem of the product. The Internet is heavily weighted towards the minority who complain than the vast majority who do not.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    thing is its not just 1 or 2 people, some people are on their 4-5 pres. thats not exactly great for a phone. and its whats keeping me from buyign form from o2, as o2s CS is absolutely poor where i live.
    It is still a small minority of the online Pre userbase, and when you are talking about that many replacement phones you are looking at three primary reasons. The first is a bad batch to a particular store, the second is owner misuse and the third is the owner complaining about natural slider give that should not be an issue.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    thing is its not just 1 or 2 people, some people are on their 4-5 pres. thats not exactly great for a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    It is still a small minority of the online Pre userbase, and when you are talking about that many replacement phones you are looking at three primary reasons. The first is a bad batch to a particular store, the second is owner misuse and the third is the owner complaining about natural slider give that should not be an issue.
    I think thats what 'shaffaaf27' is getting at.
    There shouldn't be ANY 'bad batches'.
    Why are you holding Palm to a higher rule than everyone else? A bad batch can happen when manufacturing this number of devices. The point here is that shaffaaf27 is incorrectly trying to vastly inflate the impact of the oreo effect to the Pre userbase. I explained why he was incorrect but it seems he has been unable to grasp the point.

well i have sen 4 demo units in shops thus far and 3 of them have it aswell, and they have lag.

why do you defend a product so much? IMO its a lot of money for this, it shoudlnt have inherrant flaws.
    I'm defending common sense. Your continued insistence that it is an inherent flaw says it all. Demo units always suffer a lot of wear and tear from the general public. You need to keep that in mind.

on lauch day at 10-11am?

ur defending an inferior product. the os is the best the worlds seen, the hardware is sad
    You are acting like a child. Now would you like to actually respond to the points I have raised or are you going to continue to conveniently ignore them? If it is the latter then do not waste our collective time with a further response.

I have got to say I am more than happy with the build quality of the phone. This "oreo" effect is blown way out of proportion... on launch day I was expecting the two parts to wobble way round a few degrees this is definately not the case. Yes there is a bit of "give" can I think this is required for the sliding mechanism design on the pre. Yes it maybe has more "give" than other phones but these phones are definately not the same design. The pre is curved also can you imagine designing a sliding mechanism for that! I'm more than happy
    I have had my Pre (Sprint) since they came out. I do have a slight Oreo effect. But I will say this, it has not gotten any worse and I have probably dropped my Pre a half dozen times. Simply, I would not get too hung up about it unless it gets really bad and if so return it for an exchange.
    if you feel like im child like obviously i cant change your old mind.
    USA pre and now GSM pre.

both have oreo effects that are a concern to the customer.

that, i would say, is an engineering defect and not a manufacturing one.
    I have noticed my Pre (UK Edition) do this when it's cold. I left it in an unheated room for a while yesterday and the movement after was very apparent. Once however it had been in my pocket for 20 mins and warmed up it was nice and solid again. Very little movement when it's warm.

Anyone else noticed this??
    my is oreo out of the box

but i'll keep it till it gets bad, then i'll change it for another one as part of the warranty.....
    im suprised palm hasnt been sued for the quality of the device.......still in the UK at least, if it gets back we'll just tell Watchdog on bbc1, they'll do something
    Well so far I am more than happy with the Pre build quality. Mine has some give but well within tolerable levels.

As for the argument of build quality compared to other phones I don't see the Pre as being any worse. I have a Iphone 3gs which has been replaced 3 times due to signal issues and crashing. I have changed numerous Iphones as well for some of my co-workers, out of the 7 who have Iphones 6 have had to have a replacement, 2 of them are on their 3rd device.

I also look after the comms for where I work, 80% have blackberries, started with the orginal, than the 8300's now a mixture of the 8900's and curves. The amount of faulty devices we have is huge, constant replacements due to hardware faults.

I am just trying to show that in the real world most mass market devices can and do develop faults however good their build quality seems. I'm sure the Pre is no different to most other devices. So far I have no complaints and I have had numerous phones to compare with. By the way I didn't realise how good the screen quality is, looking at pictures/video's don't do it justice at all.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    What the hell is this 'oreo effect' exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    What the hell is this 'oreo effect' exactly?
    Urban Dictionary: Oreo Effect

"When no one eats any more Oreos because the packaging prevents any more from being eaten, until someone else opens the packaging further, thus making everyone immediately want to eat Oreos once again."

Seriously though look here, it ain't hard to find with a simple web search -
    It is basically a twisting between the top and bottom of the slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    It is basically a twisting between the top and bottom of the slider.
    it does look like it could be easily fixed, as you can see the sliding bits when you take the battery out.......some foam maybe could solve the problem?

(not that im going to try!)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast