Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I've got a new Pre and I've been playing with install tweaks. I really liked the idea of the virtual keyboard for short, quick responses and URLs, so I installed it via WebOS Quick Install. It worked all right but was slow and wouldn't "re-stow" itself, so to speak, so i tried to uninstall it.

    I could NOT find a way to uninstall it. It wasn't listed under "patches" or anything else in WebOS Quick Install. I installed PreWare but that didnt' have any options either.

    Reading other threads, I tried deleting everything in the Virtual Keyboard folder (left the folder though). The keyboard won't appear anymore, but I thought I'd try re-installing it using PreWare (since that seems to be the recommended method now), and it won't install because there are pieces of the old installation left over.

    Is there any way, short of a WebOS Doctor reset, to finish cleaning this off so I can try reinstalling it down the road?

    Thanks...
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Hi,

    I've got a new Pre and I've been playing with install tweaks. I really liked the idea of the virtual keyboard for short, quick responses and URLs, so I installed it via WebOS Quick Install. It worked all right but was slow and wouldn't "re-stow" itself, so to speak, so i tried to uninstall it.

    I could NOT find a way to uninstall it. It wasn't listed under "patches" or anything else in WebOS Quick Install. I installed PreWare but that didnt' have any options either.

    Reading other threads, I tried deleting everything in the Virtual Keyboard folder (left the folder though). The keyboard won't appear anymore, but I thought I'd try re-installing it using PreWare (since that seems to be the recommended method now), and it won't install because there are pieces of the old installation left over.

    Is there any way, short of a WebOS Doctor reset, to finish cleaning this off so I can try reinstalling it down the road?

    Thanks...
    First try Preware and go to "List of Everything" and find it there. this is a list of everything installed and uninstalled). Click on it and click "remove" Then Install "Luna Manager" If you do not already have it and Reset your Pre. You can also try WebOS repair utility. It removes all pieces of files. I would use it anway to make sure all is clean.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. I did find Virtual Keyboard using "find all" in Preware... the option was only to Install, not remove. When I tried install, I got the errors about files already existing.

    I'm going to run a scan with the WebOS Repair Utility now. Will it give me an option to delete the extra files, or will I just be restoring the factory versions? If so, any hints on what to remove/restore, WITHOUT killing any of my other tweaks or patches? (No biggie, guess I can always re-install them).

    I gotta say guys... I've only had this device a few days, and I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the community here. You guys are really leveraging this thing's potential, and the openness and helpfullness is awesome! After seeing some of this, it feels like Palm / Sprint have barely scratched the surface of what can be done with this device, in some cases pretty easily. Oh well... maybe the official apps/configs will catch up eventually. ;-)

    Thanks again,
    Joe
  4.    #4  
    OK, ran WebOS Repair Utility. The only thing it found was the modified devmode button. I restored that just for fun and, as expected, the button to toggle dev mode was gone. Put it back again using WebOS Quick Install.

    I copied the names of the existing files that are conflicting with re-installing Virtual Keyboard. Here's an example (they're all in this directory, about 6 of them):
    /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/200.18/templates/kbselector/char.html

    Got Internalz working and was able to surf to these files, but as advertised Internalz won't allow "delete" authority in this folder.

    So... does anyone know how I can access these files to delete them, so hopefully I can get a clean re-install of the keyboard? Either on the device, or plugged into a computer... is there any way to access this folder and delete these files?

    I think all I've got left is a WebOS Doctor restore, if there's no way to delete these files!

    Thanks,
    Joe
  5. #5  
    I am having the same exact problem. When I try to uninstall, the only option I get in PreWare is to install.
  6. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #6  
    Install the Emergency Patch Recovery Tool in webos quickinstall. That'll wipe off all of the patch stuff and should get you back to normal and you can just begin re-tweeking/patching from scratch.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Hi,

    I've got a new Pre and I've been playing with install tweaks. I really liked the idea of the virtual keyboard for short, quick responses and URLs, so I installed it via WebOS Quick Install. It worked all right but was slow and wouldn't "re-stow" itself, so to speak, so i tried to uninstall it.

    I could NOT find a way to uninstall it. It wasn't listed under "patches" or anything else in WebOS Quick Install. I installed PreWare but that didnt' have any options either.

    Reading other threads, I tried deleting everything in the Virtual Keyboard folder (left the folder though). The keyboard won't appear anymore, but I thought I'd try re-installing it using PreWare (since that seems to be the recommended method now), and it won't install because there are pieces of the old installation left over.

    Is there any way, short of a WebOS Doctor reset, to finish cleaning this off so I can try reinstalling it down the road?

    Thanks...
    did that work I'm having the same issues.
  8. #8  
    Same here, I have no options anywhere to remove the virtual keyboard. Removing and re-installing all my patches is not an option, either. In other words, not something I am willing to do, just to get rid of the VK.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersmith View Post
    did that work I'm having the same issues.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoertz View Post
    Same here, I have no options anywhere to remove the virtual keyboard. Removing and re-installing all my patches is not an option, either. In other words, not something I am willing to do, just to get rid of the VK.
    if you want to get rid of virtual keyboard just go into the pre (of course this is after uninstalling the keyboard) usb mode and delete the virtual keyboard folder wala done
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10. #10  
    if you cant find it to uninstall ,just open preware and go into list of everything then start typing virtual and it will come up then just unistall, if its not installed it will have an install button, if its installed already it will have an uninstall button !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. #11  
    jwoertz,
    Did you resolve your problem?
  12. #12  
    Any word from the OP on if it worked?

    I have a similar problem with the virtual keyboard not being able to uninstall. I want to uninstall it because it won't appear.

    I went into Preware, went to Virtual Keyboard, and clicked remove. I got "Failure during pre-remove script execution."

    I then tried the EPR, that didn't work. I did some of the things suggested in this thread and deleted the virtual keyboard files.

    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Preware, thinking it was just a glitch. Didn't work either, virtual keyboard still turned up in my list of patches.

    I then tried to Doctor the phone. Successfully went through the doctor process, but virtual keyboard and its related files still appear in my Preware.

    I'm out of ideas.
  13. ackone's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #13  
    all you need to do is open QI and go to the top bar and click on Linux command line. Then type "rm -f "insert filepath for files that already exist here"" do that for each file that it's (by it I mean the ipkg log you get in preware when trying to install) saying still exists and once those are all deleted, you can reinstall virtual keyboard. I have had to do this numerous time after running EPR or uninstalling via preware. Works like a charm everytime. Until now.. Haha I just updated all my patches since the AUPS stuff was implemented and now when I'm reinstalling VK, all the ipkg log says is that it's installing and nothing interesting is happening all the way up to post-install script where it errors. Also in QI I try to install it so maybe I can remove it properly with preware but QI gives an error that it can't execute some tmp/ipkg.sh something or other.(I'll post an edit with the real error when I get home). Anyone have any ideas? Is there maybe a list of files I can remove with linux commandline so I can get this bad boy back up and running?


    Sent from my Pre
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ackone View Post
    Haha I just updated all my patches since the AUPS stuff was implemented and now when I'm reinstalling VK, all the ipkg log says is that it's installing and nothing interesting is happening all the way up to post-install script where it errors. Also in QI I try to install it so maybe I can remove it properly with preware but QI gives an error that it can't execute some tmp/ipkg.sh something or other.(I'll post an edit with the real error when I get home). Anyone have any ideas? Is there maybe a list of files I can remove with linux commandline so I can get this bad boy back up and running?


    Sent from my Pre
    Exact same problem here.

    ETA: Nevermind, got mine working. What I did: Make sure it's as uninstalled as WOSQI and Preware can get it, as in it shows up on neither one as being installed. Then delete the virtual-keyboard folder, located at /media/internal/virtual-keyboard. Then install using Preware, and it works. As always, YMMV.
    Last edited by pullbangdead; 01/29/2010 at 03:15 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Hmm, well I'm the OP, and Doctoring worked for me.

    The only other idea I have, if you haven't tried it yet: Launch WebOS QuickInstall, and install the "OBSOLETE Virtual Keyboard" from the feeds list. Then, launch Preware on your Pre and install the current Virtual Keyboard. Looks like that works for a lot of people and it worked for me after the last WebOS update.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    Hmm, well I'm the OP, and Doctoring worked for me.

    The only other idea I have, if you haven't tried it yet: Launch WebOS QuickInstall, and install the "OBSOLETE Virtual Keyboard" from the feeds list. Then, launch Preware on your Pre and install the current Virtual Keyboard. Looks like that works for a lot of people and it worked for me after the last WebOS update.
    Keep in-mind that, at the time the op doctored, webOS doctor DID wipe/delete EVERYTHING. That's no longer the case since 1.3.1 debuted.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Exact same problem here.

    ETA: Nevermind, got mine working. What I did: Make sure it's as uninstalled as WOSQI and Preware can get it, as in it shows up on neither one as being installed. Then delete the virtual-keyboard folder, located at /media/internal/virtual-keyboard. Then install using Preware, and it works. As always, YMMV.
    Crucial.
  18. #18  
    1) Showing it as gone for both Preware and WosQI is part of the problem, for many. It certainly was for me before my partial erase.

    2) I never reinstalled the keyboard after the last time it gave me fits, but at the time, it's folder was on the main directory. It was not a subfolder. Has that changed in the past 2 weeks?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

Posting Permissions