Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I was in my local Sprint store today and the salesperson told me that once a phone number is assigned to a Pre there's no way to change it. Is this true?

Thanks!

BTW - If this has been covered before, I apologize. I tried to search but had no luck.
    not thats crapola lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    This is not true. Also not true: Vaccinations cause autism, White is the new black and Al Gore invented the Internet.
    It's totally wrong, coz I changed mine.
    he was just lazy or a jerk, either way its NOT true. I am a sprint authroized dealer and HAVE changed a number on a pre
    SCK Manager
    I changed my number within 30 days of purchasing the Pre. I didn't want to port my number from AT&T until I was sure I wanted to keep my Pre.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Here come the Mythbusters. :P
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone! That's good to know, it was a dealbreaker for me. I'll be sure to buy my Pre at a different store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flur View Post
    Thanks everyone! That's good to know, it was a dealbreaker for me. I'll be sure to buy my Pre at a different store.

Just buy the pre at any store, you can just call sprint customer service to change your number, it has nothing to do with the store.
    I'm thinking he is worried about all the other things that store doesn't know/understand.

Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    Just buy the pre at any store, you can just call sprint customer service to change your number, it has nothing to do with the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm thinking he is worried about all the other things that store doesn't know/understand.
    He can still buy the phone at that store and take it to any other store with a more competent staff.

I've never worked at a telecommunications company, but I think the way a provider handles your phone number is having it assigned to a particular device ID (something akin to your Pre's serial number) on their computers. Not only can they change the phone number on your device, but all it takes is a few keystrokes to do so. This is why it can even get done by calling Sprint customer service...

I think.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The rep was just being lazy...since you can't manually program the Pre, you have to reset the whole phone, then let it program itself again, then restore the backup.
    Sprint, mistakenly, activated my replacement Pre with my Wife's number then, when I tried getting it fixed, acivated my Wife's Pre with my number.

It was a huge mix-up causing 4 activation charges and about 4 phone calls to fix but it was finally fixed. So yeah, you can definitely re-assign numbers. In order to do so, however, you have to do a full restore (even more full than the full restore as you have to enter a special code to do so).
    I also had a number mix up with our pres when I purchased them. The girl at BB put the phones in the wrong boxes. When I got home I matched the serial numbers that were written on the paper with the boxes and we set up our profiles. When my husband tried calling my number in a test, it wouldn't work. We then realized that we had each others phones. I tried to fix it over the phone with a Sprint tech, but it wouldn't work so I took them to a Sprint, store and a wonderful girl there took the time to do the swap for us.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!