Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi, I just purchased a Pre on O2 Pre Pay for 420 but as it's not a bill plan it does not come with a data plan so I want to switch off the data except for wifi of course. I see this is an option on the US pre but it doesn't appear on the menu of the GSM Pre?
    Last edited by center15; 10/20/2009 at 10:53 PM.
    Sorry, can't answer your question, but are you saying that a contract free Pre is available in Ireland for €420???
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by symos View Post
    Sorry, can't answer your question, but are you saying that a contract free Pre is available in Ireland for €420???
    Interested in the same!
    When you say 'Pre Pay' do you mean 'Pay As You Go'?

So,

1] Is a contract free Pre is available in Ireland for €420???
    2] Have you tried any other SIM cards in your Pre, and do they work? If not, are you able to try for us.... please?
    Are you doing: phone - preferences - Network Data Usage.

I always have my data usage off and get about 3 days per charge with light use.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hi Guys, yes it's pay as you go (ie no contract) locked to O2 though. When a sim from another network gets inserted then you get the message below. http://willdeasy.com/wp-content/uplo...-10_233656.jpg It asks for a network unlock code & to contact your network for it.

Are you doing: phone - preferences - Network Data Usage.

I always have my data usage off and get about 3 days per charge with light use
    Yes than option though doesn't show up in the menu.
    Last edited by center15; 10/18/2009 at 09:00 PM.
    pre pay = pay as you go (Vodafone lingo) = speak easy (O2 lingo)

www . o2online . ie
    /wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Palm%20Pre

419 but pretty sure it will be SIM locked

@ Center15, can you confirm? have you tried any other SIM?

also would be interesting to know if the likes of 'Turbo SIM' found on ebay would work
    The ability to turn data off on the Sprint Pre was not available until WebOS 1.2. Maybe you will gain this ability on your next update.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have posted some details on my site http://willdeasy.com hope ye don't mind it's easier than trying to put images on here!

I have tried another sim and it asks for the network unlocking code so I hope someone will have this cracked soon!
    Last edited by center15; 10/18/2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Its very good news that you can (already) buy pay as you go phones in Ireland.. (alot easier than buying either a german one (with german language and QWERTZ keyboard) or a US one and hoping someone will crack the sim locking..

We'll have to wait and see if someone does crack the locking and i'll be straight up there buying one!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hope a few dev's will get their hands on a GSM Pre and get them unlocked ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by center15 View Post
    Hope a few dev's will get their hands on a GSM Pre and get them unlocked ASAP.
    Do you think it will be possible? As I know there is no fee-free way to unlock Palm Centro (e.g. my situation: Palm Centro (GSM) from USA, probably locked to AT&T site). I've only came across many services that gives you unlocking code for a fee...
    Hi, I just purchased a Pre on O2 Pre Pay for 420 but as it's not a bill plan it does not come with a date plan so I want to switch off the data except for wifi of course. I see this is an option on the US pre but it doesn't appear on the menu of the GSM Pre?
    O2 IRL have been made aware of this problem. On their forums, they said that that option is coming in the next update. For now, data used by the backup app and the update app have been zero rated, so they won't cost you anything. As long as you don't use any data yourself, you shouldn't be charged.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    O2 IRL have been made aware of this problem. On their forums, they said that that option is coming in the next update. For now, data used by the backup app and the update app have been zero rated, so they won't cost you anything. As long as you don't use any data yourself, you shouldn't be charged.
    I was the one who posted it there
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    Wow, very good and pretty fair solution. Isn't it quite hard to check which data connection is "sync" and which are others?
    I was the one who posted it there
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by prokyz View Post
    Wow, very good and pretty fair solution. Isn't it quite hard to check which data connection is "sync" and which are others?
    I imagine they just check the destination of the connection the phone makes. If it's one of Palm's, they don't charge for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The ability to turn data off on the Sprint Pre was not available until WebOS 1.2. Maybe you will gain this ability on your next update.

I've just noticed that this option is there on my UK O2 Pre with 1.1.3, not sure if it was there on 1.1.2 as I didn't look.

This is good news though as I can now safely travel with this phone without fear of running up a huge data bill.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I've just noticed that this option is there on my UK O2 Pre with 1.1.3, not sure if it was there on 1.1.2 as I didn't look.

This is good news though as I can now safely travel with this phone without fear of running up a huge data bill.
    The option you have it turn off data while roaming, the option to be introduced is turn off all data even while in home network for people who don't have a data plan.
    come check out my site @ http:www.willdeasy.com
    The option you have it turn off data while roaming, the option to be introduced is turn off all data even while in home network for people who don't have a data plan.
    Ah, good point. Yes, a PAYG user would need the full no data option.
    There is an option to turn data off in the "Quick System Tasks" application and I'm trying to see if it works, I've merely got 10 euros on my pay as you go at present, if it doesn't work it'll go up in smoke pretty soon :-( and I'll have to call back my mobile carrier to block GPRS until I'll get the OS 1.3 which hopefully will solve this.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Interested in the same!
    When you say 'Pre Pay' do you mean 'Pay As You Go'?

So,

1] Is a contract free Pre is available in Ireland for 420???
    2] Have you tried any other SIM cards in your Pre, and do they work? If not, are you able to try for us.... please?
    1) No, its actually 419
    2) As already posted it is network locked but with Rebelsim have used Vodafone Ireland sim