webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 US
Carrier/APN settings for 1.13 German and 1.21 US

Old 10/17/2009, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

As someone asked for this I thought I'd compile a list of the available carriers plus APN settings in both the German 1.13 as well as the US 1.21 as found in the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 database. I hope someone can use this.
I used a simple SQL JOIN clause to combine and match the results of the two tables com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_DataConnectionSettings and com_palm_data_carriernetworksettings_CarrierNetworkSettings.

Interestingly the German 1.13 seems to have two more records than the US 1.21. I haven't checked which ones, though. If someone finds out, let us know, please.

XLS files zipped up.
Attached Files
File Type: zip carriers_113.xls.zip (47.3 KB, 399 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip carriers_121.xls.zip (50.3 KB, 195 views) Email Attachment
Der Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by bdagirl, dubiki, palmdoc2005
Old 10/17/2009, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good work! I'm sure this will help the more hands on amongst us.

Intriguingly all the main European networks' details are contained in the German 1.13 CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 database.

This can't mean...

that once the phone is 'activated' using an O2 SIM card, it can then be used TO GO ONLINE with any of the carriers listed in these databases

...or can it?
c_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2009, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess, well, I HOPE it does indeed mean that. Which would be the one thing making me buy a Pre (don't have one yet) as I need to be able to use it with a GoPhone card on the AT&T network in December and January in New York.
Old 10/17/2009, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ditto, I too would get a Pre if that was the case.

We need someone, who knows what the typical/real APN settings for a given network (e.g. Orange UK ) are, to verify whether they appear in the XLS files in post#1.

Unfortunately I do not know what these settings should look like, but hope someone out there does? ..and can do the check...?
Old 10/18/2009, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_man View Post
Good work! I'm sure this will help the more hands on amongst us.

Intriguingly all the main European networks' details are contained in the German 1.13 CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 database.

This can't mean...

that once the phone is 'activated' using an O2 SIM card, it can then be used TO GO ONLINE with any of the carriers listed in these databases

...or can it?
I "activated" my german pre with a danish sim from TDC. So you don't need a O2 sim. Some carriers are supported from "birth"
pattersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2009, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi the settings for Orange Uk are correct in carriers_113.xls and carriers_121.xls.zip on lines 582, 583 and 584.

The two extra entries in carriers_113.xls are for 'Centennial Wireless' on lines 792 and 793 which are the same as the ones on 514 & 515 in both files without the MMS info included.
Benuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2009, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

All the Australian network settings (Optus, Telstra, Vodafone AU, 3) appear to be correct. But correct settings don't appear to matter - for instance, someone has posted elsewhere that Swisscom is in the database and it doesn't work.
freakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2009, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, from what I can tell (and again, Im a NOT a developer) the class files in usr/lib/luna/java/CarrierNetworkSettings/com/palm/data/carriernetworksettings seem to be responsible for setting the current voice and data provider and they DO call and pull data from the afoementioned databases.
Old 10/18/2009, 05:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Unfortunately it seems that when a SIM card from another network is put in the Pre, the phone asks for an unlock code :

Screenshot here: http://willdeasy.com/wp-content/uplo...7102009001.jpg

Details here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-data-off.html

and here (3rd bullet point): willdeasy.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17102009001.jpg (650.2 KB, 72 views) Email Attachment
Old 10/18/2009, 05:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

I wonder what happens if you flash it to the German 1.13 first if that's possible ...
Old 10/18/2009, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

hey guys I've added a screen shot of the unlock screen when a Vodafone SIM was inserted into the Pre. willdeasy.com ŧ Blog Archive ŧ Palm Pre GSM O2 Ireland first Impressions
center15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2009, 03:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersson View Post
I "activated" my german pre with a danish sim from TDC. So you don't need a O2 sim. Some carriers are supported from "birth"
Where were you when you activity the Pre? In Denmark or Germany?
Because I canīt activate with my Danish Sonofon-sim card.
Behi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2009, 05:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jens View Post
I wonder what happens if you flash it to the German 1.13 first if that's possible ...
I wonder if this will have any implications with future updates, etc. I would hope not. Is anyone going to attempt this? If so, good luck - please post back!
Old 10/19/2009, 07:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

What do you need to enter when you activate the phone?

I will try and see if the german seller can do this for me before shipping it so what info do you need to supply? Just any e-mail adress or does it have to be a gmail adress?
Old 10/19/2009, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behi View Post
Where were you when you activity the Pre? In Denmark or Germany?
Because I canīt activate with my Danish Sonofon-sim card.
In Denmark. It immediately connected to the data network (a 3G-icon appeared) and I was able to activate it.
pattersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2009, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

I work for the airlines and am considering flying to Frankfurt in a couple weeks ...if it can be determined that I can put in my US T-mobile SIM in and make it work.
krosfyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2009, 03:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

krosfyah: be aware that when you enter your US SIM in the Pre in Germany it will still use one of the german providers (roaming), which are indeed supported by the Pre. It doens't give you a garantuee to work in the US itself.
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2009, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Good point. Hopefully we'll see the answer to that question before I go. It would be great if somebody with a German Pre were to visit the US between now and then. I could arrange to meet them somewhere in the states and do a quick check.
krosfyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2009, 05:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

my german Pre has arrived yesterday and the italian Wind simcard works fine.
unfortunately where i live has Wind no Umts coverage, and the internet connection is very slow (only gsm)
col38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2009, 10:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Would it be possible to run an UPDATE statement on the database? I'm experimenting with T-Mobile Hungary, but so far no luck with connecting to the 3G network. This thread suggests that removing hs_null from the user/password field would fix the issue.
emmbea is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0