1.    #1  
    Hey Folks,

I have an 1st gen iPhone with a real bad camera when shooting NEAR photos.

The next phone I bought after the iPhone was a Touch Pro. That one has a 3 Megapixel AUTOFOCUS-cam.

The Problem I have is that I have to take a lot of CLOSE photos, from Serial-Numbers on packages and so on. I couldn't get any sharp picture with the Pre.
    It takes great Photos on daylight from anything that's more away than about 1 meter, but when I have to take photos from a distance about 10-25 cm it totallly sucks. Or am I doing something wrong?

Wasn't the Pre announced to have an autofocus-camera when it was presented about half a year ago?
    No, it's not auto focus, it's fixed focus. There was an article here on PreCentral recently about how to do a mod that would give macro-like abilities using a DVD/CD lens. You might find that of interest:

Sorry, not having much luck linking it. Do a search on DYI macro and dvd
    This is one of the few areas where I feel like I downgraded because my Touch Pro 2 had an awesome auto focus camera that was able to take close up pics right out of the box.
    There are lens adapters (of different focal lengths) made for iPhones that magnetically hold onto the ring around the phone's lens. I wonder if those would fit the Pre's lens? You may want to try those.
  5.    #5  
    OK, thank you all for your replies. This is really disappointing.

I use it as a business-device and so I used my old phone to take pictures of the devices I sold to customers when being on-site so that I can write the serial-number on the billing. Now I have to write it down. :-(

So I have to live with it if I don't have the time to tinker.