There's been talk about this oreo effect meaning that the screen has drastic twisting. I'm wanting to know if anyone's pre actually has no play at all, meaning the top half doesn't move, or if all pre's will have a little wiggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ke View Post
    There's been talk about this oreo effect meaning that the screen has drastic twisting. I'm wanting to know if anyone's pre actually has no play at all, meaning the top half doesn't move, or if all pre's will have a little wiggle.
    I've had my phone since July and I have ZERO play. Tight as a virgin.
    No creaks, no squeaks, no grooves N-A-D-A!
    mine but just had my launch day Pre replaced because I had an air bubble under the screen. The build quality on this one is excellent
    got my pre at launch in the US and the build was almost perfect. the sliders had almost zero play but you really had to try to get any play. however, two weeks ago i replaced it becuase the external speaker blew out and wouldnt ring or have speakerphone or have sound for movies. the replacement pre has some moderate play, but the case i have (amzer hybrid silicone case) fixes it pretty good.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Got mine since launch day. No Oreo effect at all.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Got mine 6 days after launch day... Oreo =/
    Dad got it launch day... No oreo at all.
    Mine has been fine. It's loosened up a little over the last few months, but that actually makes the slider a little easier to use (it was pretty tight originally). I think it needs a little play just to allow it to work.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I've had less than 1mm of play from day one and I have to work at that (meaning it's not loose but I can forcibly create a minuscule amount of play). Otherwise thing are great.

On a side note > I sold a co-worker on the Pre - mostly because, working side-by-side, he'd spent a lot of time lusting over mine. While I do think he's pretty cavalier with phones, his Pre was clearly a worse build than mine (both had 07/09 build dates). There were genuine build issues that immediately popped up...

His Power button disappeared in the first week. Fell out, was never recovered. And he had a pretty disturbing oreo - almost an inch to the right; disturbing to me, as I'd never personally observed a really "massive" oreo.

I was disappointed for him... But that didn't seem to matter. He's loving the Pre and webOS, including the keyboard (he's a texting machine).

Despite build issues, he's happily hanging with the Pre and is looking to getting it repaired on Monday.
    Mine has roughly the same amount of "oreo" as every slider phone I have ever owned. A little bit of slack in the rails is a good thing because it makes it much easier to open and close the phone.
    I got mine mid-June and no problems.
    I dont have any problems with the play in the slider, but I do have an issue, in that maybe every 20 or so times I slide to open, then close right away, my Pre reboots.

Anyone experience that? Is it something that could be indicative of worsening problems to come?
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I dont have any problems with the play in the slider, but I do have an issue, in that maybe every 20 or so times I slide to open, then close right away, my Pre reboots.

Anyone experience that? Is it something that could be indicative of worsening problems to come?
    That is a VERY well known and well documented problem, caused by the physical fit of the battery in the battery compartment. You can take your Pre into any Sprint store let them see you close the screen quickly causing it to reboot, and they will immediately swap out your battery in most cases.

You can also fix it yourself very easily by folding up a scrap of paper so that it's 1-2mm thick and wedging it between the edge of the battery and the side of the battery compartment opposite the side with the contacts on it.