Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I'm concerned that almost none of these new paid apps have a free trial. It's hard to tell from screenshots and reviews if an app will do what you expect it to. I've bought six apps so far and only one (Word Whirl) was worth the price. Now I'm starting to get wary of buying anything. It feels like they are taking advantage of the fact that there are so few apps available, but they are going to kill the buzz with all this paid, no-trial crapware.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    not be as harsh, but i do agree you want to try before you buy.

maybe it takes a while to code a trial feature and most dev's just want to get an app out there for now. I do hope trials will be offered more.
    It would help if there were good screenshots and a good developer website to check the app out at before buying.

I have mixed feelings about free trials.... as a consumer, I like them, but apps from $1 to $10 don't generally break the bank and I feel we have to support the developers as best we can so some killer apps can be produced.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Developer web site trials is a great idea. WebOS runs on web standards, so there should be a way for developers to have a version you can actually try out on their website. Not just screenshots and descriptions, but a fully working version you test using your desktop web browser.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have to agree, I think they should have a trial for anything over a $1. I am not trying to be a tight *****, but I am very cautious with my money. I owned a Ipod Touch, and got burned a couple of times with very cheesy apps. If a free trial comes along I am much more interested in downloading and trying it, if I like it the Dev's get my money.

I agree with supporting the Dev's but I am not going to throw money at someone just so they keep making apps, good or not.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I totally agree.. I would say a trial for a day or so even for $.99.. whats the biggy?.. i mean i dont think there are apps that are made to be used for one day...
    Or even cripple it so that people get a feel for it...
    I think trials are very important... I would purchase alot more if there were trials...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    +1, agreed
    Agreed. I'm not really planning on buying any apps that I haven't been able to try first, via homebrew or a standard apps catalog trial. Maybe if the dev's site had a really good description with more screenshots. Maybe.

'Real world' apps and games almost all have demos or trials, so why not webOS apps?

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    One of the reasons why the App Store has such low prices is that there are no time-limited demos (recently revised by Apple). That means that every price must include the possibility that the seller will not like the app. If a buyer knows that every sale will be to a satisfied customer who likes the app, they willl charge more. Why? If every buyer knows pretty much what they are getting, they will be willing to charge more.

So, you can't have $0.99 prices AND a demo period. I would estimate that with a trial period developers will charge at least 3 times as much as they would without one.
    I'd rather pay more for an app I know is worth it. As I said I'm already 1-for-6, so that effectively raises the price of the one app I actually use. Besides, your premise is wrong; the Apple app store has always had "lite" versions and now has timed trials too.

Oh and BTW, I didn't say I wanted "$0.99 prices AND a demo period", I said I wanted $0.99 prices OR a demo period.
    Last edited by reidme; 10/17/2009 at 09:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Developer web site trials is a great idea. WebOS runs on web standards, so there should be a way for developers to have a version you can actually try out on their website. Not just screenshots and descriptions, but a fully working version you test using your desktop web browser.
    This is a simple and practical solution. Any serious developer should release a Homebrew beta or take this suggestion and publish a working on-line demo.

As with anything, you get what you pay for so buyer beware. A dollar or two for an app that you don't like is a couple of bucks spent on a lesson but an app priced between $4 and $40 with no trial or "live" demo is preposterous. Hell, I wouldn't DL most of the dollar (cr)apps, even if they were free.

I've purchased exactly one app - Tweed - because the beta was impressive and Pivotal's response to users is outstanding.

ActiveCard looks interesting but without a trial I'll never even consider
    I'm a developer, and I would love it if the Palm App Catalog allowed for trial versions in addition to paid versions. But since this isn't really possible (aside from releasing a "lite" version), reducing the price to 99 cents or $1.99 is the only solution.

Personally, I don't think an app costing $1.99 is all that expensive (heck, I spend more money on a single Starbucks coffee). But then again, I normallly don't install numerous apps on my smartphone device and test them out for usefulness.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Unless I hear lots of positive feedback, I never buy software without first giving it a trial.
    But like malimal said; it may be another feature of code they have to write into the app.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I'm not buying without a trial unless maybe it's an exact replica of something on Palm OS that I already have and don't want to live without. I'm hoping there is or will be a CallRec-like app as well as Call Block. I'll buy both of those automatically, no matter the cost.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ok, if it really is impossible/difficult, just put it on youtube. That's how I fell in love with the Pre.
    The problem is that Palm doesn't support in-app upgrades in the App Catalog. Apple used to have the same issue, but they just recently correct that themselves.

In order to have a trial version, developers need to have two different programs basically, which makes it harder to maintain two versions of the code.
    i think anything over 4.99 should have some type of trial or video like mentioned above. anything below that price i would be willing to take the small risk of buying something i dont like, if i do then ill skip buying a coffee to make up the difference. then ill get in a really bad mood and write a bad review.
    The onus should be on the user to research the app in question and determine whether it fits their needs and is at a price they are happy with. I do agree that developers need to provide more information to the user to aid this process.

Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Personally, I don't think an app costing $1.99 is all that expensive (heck, I spend more money on a single Starbucks coffee).
    Precisely. I do not go around asking for samples whenever I spend relatively small amounts of money on other products or services. I do my research and sometimes just take a punt. This disconnect between life and the app catalogue is baffling.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Precisely. I do not go around asking for samples whenever I spend relatively small amounts of money on other products or services. I do my research and sometimes just take a punt. This disconnect between life and the app catalogue is baffling.
    This is software, and we're comparing it to other software -- not coffee at Starbucks or food at a restaurant or whatever.

And obviously there are plenty of people who will buy software sight-unseen, just as there are plenty of people (such as myself) who will not. Devs need to provide more information for us to make an informed decision, or have a demo. My opinion.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The problem is that Palm doesn't support in-app upgrades in the App Catalog. Apple used to have the same issue, but they just recently correct that themselves.

In order to have a trial version, developers need to have two different programs basically, which makes it harder to maintain two versions of the code.
    Will distribution outside the app catalog (per the story linked below) allow creating timed trials? How did MotionApps make Classic a timed trial?

http://www.precentral.net/palm-freei...os-development
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Will distribution outside the app catalog (per the story linked below) allow creating timed trials? How did MotionApps make Classic a timed trial?

http://www.precentral.net/palm-freei...os-development
    Classic is a timed trial because payment is outside of the App Catalog and it uses server authentication to do so.

It's fully possible for other programs to do this as well, but then payment won't be through Palm, and I'm not sure if they'd let it into the App Catalog again or if that was a one-time exception.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast