Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Precisely. I do not go around asking for samples whenever I spend relatively small amounts of money on other products or services. I do my research and sometimes just take a punt. This disconnect between life and the app catalogue is baffling.
    What better way to research than by trying? I'm not asking for a free sample; I want to see what I'm getting and with software it's hard to tell from three screenshots and a short description. If the developer has a website with extensive screenshots and detailed descriptions of how the app functions, that would help.

    Frankly, I wouldn't have this concern if the overall quality level of the apps released so far wasn't so low. I don't like throwing money away for something I won't use at all, even if it is just a few dollars. At least with a $2 cup of coffee I get to enjoy the coffee.
  2. sjjones's Avatar
    Posts
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    #22  
    as a person who just wasted $4.99 on an app that really is only 1/2 built in MY opinion, they absolutely need to have trial versions just like a lot of windows apps.

    Deleted it about an 1 hour after getting it.
  3. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Classic is a timed trial because payment is outside of the App Catalog and it uses server authentication to do so.

    It's fully possible for other programs to do this as well, but then payment won't be through Palm, and I'm not sure if they'd let it into the App Catalog again or if that was a one-time exception.
    I wouldn't mind paying the developer directly. My concern is that if people get burned too often by paying for something they don't like they are going to get turned off to the Pre and webOS apps. That will be bad for all developers, not just the lousy ones, and bad for Pre users and Palm as well.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    This is software, and we're comparing it to other software -- not coffee at Starbucks or food at a restaurant or whatever.
    Apps remain a product and should be treated as any other.

    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    What better way to research than by trying? I'm not asking for a free sample; I want to see what I'm getting and with software it's hard to tell from three
    screenshots and a short description. If the developer has a website with extensive screenshots and detailed descriptions of how the app functions, that would help.

    Frankly, I wouldn't have this concern if the overall quality level of the apps released so far wasn't so low. I don't like throwing money away for something I won't use at all, even if it is just a few dollars. At least with a $2 cup of coffee I get to enjoy the coffee.
    I have already stated that developers need to do more to provide information to users. However the fact remains that it should be up to the user to do their research. If you take a punt on an app that you know little about then you can have no cause for complaint if it does not meet your expectations. That last word is key. At the price range we are talking about and this early into the life of the app catalogue my expectations are low by default. Obviously others are expecting greatness. As for coffee I have had plenty of cheap cups that taste awful. It serves me right for not doing my research.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Developer web site trials is a great idea. WebOS runs on web standards, so there should be a way for developers to have a version you can actually try out on their website. Not just screenshots and descriptions, but a fully working version you test using your desktop web browser.
    Best idea yet.
  6. #26  
    Agree with OP. Developers should submit a full version at price they want posted and then a 'Lite' version for free (few levels, old Beta release). So far Tweed is only one I can think of that is doing this.

    Palm may also want to regulate that higher priced apps have a lite version. Just my opinion as some would say Palm should just post and not say anything. IDK, just want lite versions.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  7. #27  
    if website trials aren't possible, I would be willing to pay a buck for a one day trial, especially if the buck couldbe applied to the purchase price of the app.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This thread is like going to a grocery store on a remote island and complaining about the service, selection and prices. You want bread? There's a loaf of week-old white sandwich bread. You want milk? Sorry, we only carry powdered. And the prices are double what they are in the city.

    Competiton is what increases quality, selection & service and lowers prices. That's why you need a dozen apps that all do the same thing - a few will end up being free and the ones that charge will have to bring more to the table. And, you are much more likely to find something that suits your needs.

    There's no point in telling the grocery store that it needs to improve its selection and lower its prices.
    I disagree, its not the same thing.
  9. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This thread is like going to a grocery store on a remote island and complaining about the service, selection and prices. You want bread? There's a loaf of week-old white sandwich bread. You want milk? Sorry, we only carry powdered. And the prices are double what they are in the city.

    Competiton is what increases quality, selection & service and lowers prices. That's why you need a dozen apps that all do the same thing - a few will end up being free and the ones that charge will have to bring more to the table. And, you are much more likely to find something that suits your needs.

    There's no point in telling the grocery store that it needs to improve its selection and lower its prices.
    It's like the grocery store putting the bread in a paper bag and making you buy it before you find out if it's moldy or not.
  10. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You don't have to buy it but what if there is only one kind of bread and no other available store? You might have to take your chances. I guess it depends on how hungry you are.
    So your saying owning a Pre is like being stuck on an island where we have to pay for moldy bread and we should just shut up, eat it, and like it.

    I'm saying if the Governor of that island doesn't do anything, the natives might swim to that big nearby island where there's plenty of low-hanging fruit. Wow this analogy has gone too far.
  11. #31  
    i concur completely
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Developer web site trials is a great idea. WebOS runs on web standards, so there should be a way for developers to have a version you can actually try out on their website. Not just screenshots and descriptions, but a fully working version you test using your desktop web browser.
    Sorry, there is less in common with a browser than you may think. Mojo is very customized and almost no WebOS apps would run in a browser without major rework.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  13. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Sorry, there is less in common with a browser than you may think. Mojo is very customized and almost no WebOS apps would run in a browser without major rework.
    Drat. Lite versions or time trials it is then. And I congratulate you sir on being one of the few paid app developers so far to offer a lite version, and on creating one of the best apps for the Pre so far.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Drat. Lite versions or time trials it is then. And I congratulate you sir on being one of the few paid app developers so far to offer a lite version, and on creating one of the best apps for the Pre so far.
    Thanks. I tried to put myself into the realm of the user who doesn't know me from Adam. The most important thing is that users feel they received something worth their three bucks, or to know that they won't before they buy it so they don't buy it.

    My lite version is a little easier, because I can limit the DB included. Even if they hack the app to turn off the switches, the DB is limited so things will start erroring. For a full function utility, it is harder and requires a web based server acknowledged time limit or something like what Classic uses. Many developers are trying to work this out so they can offer trial version, without giving away the farm.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/17/2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  15. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #35  
    Am I the only one who thinks $2 apps don't need trials?

    I mean, come on! Developers spend weeks developing an App and charge you 2 bucks. There are screenshots, reviews, online reviews. I bought mobile phones, laptops or other expensive tech based on reviews. I bought several games (DS, PSP, Wii, etc.) based on reviews. I bet a lot of you do too.

    I'm not rich, but asking for a trial on a $2 app doesn't seem fair to me. These aren't WinMo prices..
  16. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
       #36  
    A bunch of trial apps just appeared in the app catalog. That's more like it!
  17. #37  
    I had the treo pro and it seemed like most the apps over $10 had a trial.
  18. #38  
    +1, agreed - free trials are the way to win over customers. Half of the apps I purchased for the Palm OS were bc I got hooked after a free trial.
  19. #39  
    I can see some scammers making a nice living out of non-trial $0.99 crapplications.
  20. #40  
    Didn't read all the posts, so don't know if someone's mentioned this already.

    One of the problems with not having trials for the apps is that you have to judge whether it's a good app or not entirely on the rating it has. A quick browse through the app catalog will show you that VERY few apps have 4 or more stars, and further reading into the review section will show that many of the negative reviews are actually disgruntled customers blaming the developer for the "too many apps" error, all simply casual users who don't diligently browse PreCentral to know that the error is actually Palm's fault. The low ratings, whether or not they're undeserved, don't exactly inspire the confidence needed to invest any amount of money in an application, be it $1 or $10.

    True, $0.99 or $1.99 isn't a whole lot of money, but it does add up. And I would gladly pay it (and much more) for something I'm going to use again and again, but if I've gone ahead and paid the money, only to find that I'm not going to use or even delete the application, it's akin to just throwing my money away.


    Someone mentioned that the beta versions we've been offered here are a perfect solution, but these aren't exactly available to the general public. I certainly wouldn't mind having a lite option for any app that I'm interested in, even if it ends up crowding the App Catalog.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions