Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Just spoke to an O2 representative that said I could buy a pre without a contract, but Palm had warned that not all features were functional without one? He could not elaborate exactly what that was since he did not know. Does anyone know anything about this? If it is not too serious I will probably go ahead.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I presume the main feature you would lose is the ability to go online via O2 data. You'd probably only be able to go online via free WiFi 'hotspots'.

Incidentally, I was informed by my local branch that I cannot buy a Pre without a contract. Can you elaborate? i.e. the price for the phone only, does it need to be unlocked, etc.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I think it very unlikely you would only be able to use wifi data, never run across a phone that did not allow data entries to be changed for alternate carriers (unless this is the one phone of course). I.e. my G1 was t-mobile which I unlocked and then used O2's server details for data.

I was informed that on my monthly contract (simplicity) I could buy a pre for 342
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatila View Post
    never run across a phone that did not allow data entries to be changed for alternate carriers
    As far as we know, the Pre does not allow you to manually change the carrier/data services settings. The only way to go online on a Pre is via O2 data services. (Some guys in the GSM sub forum are trying to find out whether the settings can be changed but so far, no luck).

I was informed that on my monthly contract (simplicity) I could buy a pre for 342
    Okay, so you are a current O2 customer, makes more sense.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Ok.. well surely if I am on O2 already the data entries will be the same? Only thing I can think of is that the pre has its own data gateway that also allows you access to palm servers via O2? It would make much more sense to use their generic gateway (and login) and then access palm servers that way.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Let us know if you have any luck!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Turns out man at O2 was incorrect, ended up getting one anyway on standard contract.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Just spoke to an O2 representative that said I could buy a pre without a contract, but Palm had warned that not all features were functional without one?
    Maybe he meant the phone function. Which would be like, duh..