Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. DervMan's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #1  
    Okay, so yesterday my Pre experience was ruined by O2's staff p*****g about with their iPhones rather than knowing anything useful about the Pre. I put that down to it being a smaller store...

    So I have just been into York's main store and *AGAIN* the staff are hiding in the back faffing about with an app for that rather than helping potential customers.

    O2 need to get their act together.

    As for the device, I liked it a lot more today.
  2. #2  
    Sounds you had a bad bunch of stores. Both my local o2 stores could not do enough for me.

    I had plenty of time to try the device and get it setup.....

    Glad you happy with your pre though
  3. #3  
    I've just bought mine and had fairly decent service. Wasn't amazing, especially when you consider how much money you're going to be sending O2's way!
  4. DervMan's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #4  
    I haven't bought one... I like it, but, it can't yet do what I need it to do... I'm going to have to wait.
  5. npw
    npw is offline
    npw's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    #5  
    I absolutely love the phone form factor and interface. It is missing really basic things like stopwatch/timer but hopefully there will be an app for that (sorry).
    ...and the battery life is appalling, I just get through awork day. I think I will go get a second touchstone for work I want to keep the phone so much.
  6. #6  
    There is a Stopwatch app available under Homebrew....
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by npw View Post
    I absolutely love the phone form factor and interface. It is missing really basic things like stopwatch/timer but hopefully there will be an app for that (sorry).
    ...and the battery life is appalling, I just get through awork day. I think I will go get a second touchstone for work I want to keep the phone so much.
    I do agree about the battery life it does not hold up well on a days single use and have since bought another touchstone charger that I keep at work.

    Best bit for me was the fact that the Treo Pro car charger is compatible with the pre, so no need to buy one of these.

    Just looking forward to more apps being available especially some racing games to make most of accelorometer
  8. #8  
    I have to say that without a phone manual (Sprint provided one to their customers. O2 where are is your service?) and without proper training from their staff I originally shouted about a few "options" (updates, palm store) missing. However as I spent more time with the unit I found all of the features myself.

    My main disappointment at the moment has to do with Bluetooth file transfer not being supported and lack of general messaging apps, which I hope that both will be resolved in the next couple of months.

    I have been waiting for a decent Palm phone for years. I never liked the windows devices, and OS 5 was rather ancient (although I had 2 0S 5 pda's) so Treos were out of the question too. Finally all the Symbian devices (most of nokia's) are so slow, and I had too many crashes on my Sony's. So generally speaking I am well impressed with the Pre so far. I just hope that more patches and apps appear so I don't have to feel inferior to iphone users....
  9. DervMan's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #9  
    The battery life issue, the Bluetooth issues (keyboard, voice dial) and O2 - these are real deal breakers for me. :-(

    A Pre would require a dedicated power infrastructure. Touchstone, another base unit, a higher capacity battery - that's another £100 at least to the £100 handset cost, which is quite a bit extra over the 18 month (£617 ish at the £34.26 pcm contract).

    I like the handset, I love WebOS...
  10. #10  
    Battery life is not so bad....you can always carry a spare or buy a second cable/touchstone. I was never impressed with Nokia/Sony battery life either. And if you thinking of an iphone, well Apple doesn't even let you change the battery so what else can I say. I agree about the extra cost. However I don't think that there is a single device out there that does everything well.

    As for O2 they fixed my mms issue and to be honest I looked at the Sprint Palm manual and played with the phone. I still think that it's the best handset I have owned despite the issues. They had a clue about the phone, but they didn't seem to know everything. However they only had the phones in the stores on wed and the UK public launch was on friday so it is not enough time. This could have been Palm fault for not providing units earlier? I don't know....Generally speaking so far I haven't had an issue with 02 that hasn't been resolved.

    Regarding the contract I took the £45 one and in 9 months I will drop it to £35. That way I split the cost of the device instead of paying £90 up front for the phone so a 2nd touchstone won't feel that bad....

    I hope that the available patches get compiled for our OS version, cause at the moment we cannot install them all. Also I hope that Palm release a few new features that we all need. I took a risk buying a new product still developing, but when the iphone was first released it didn't work smoothly either.
  11. #11  
    My local O2 store were really helpful when my touchstone stopped charging my phone, turns out it was the back case but all is working now.

    The battery life hasn't been too bad for me. Yesterday was my first real day of use and by 9pm my phone was down to around 30% charge which for me is great. That included sending some texts, browsing, trying to setup my email account and some twittering.

    Today Battery Monitor is telling me I have 43 hours of charge left
  12. DervMan's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #12  
    I guess I have different needs and expectations, which isnít a bad thing. I am currently using a Nokia E71, which was always intended to be a stop gap between my beloved Treo 680 and whatever Palm were going to produce after their years in the desert. My wife has recently switched to an iPhone 3G from her Centro, which she wore out the keyboard through use. I would still be using the 680 if it werenít for the fact that there are no Exchange 2007-compatible clients available for PalmOS. So Iím a Palm fan and it pains me that the PrPrPrť $isn$í$t$ ($yet$!) $suitable$.

    With my Treo, I bought an extended capacity battery and a couple of USB charger leads. I could get through an office-bound day of ďall I felt prudentĒ use with the standard battery, but if I was out and about, forget it Ė travelling is hard on the battery when using push email. With my E71, I can use and abuse it as much as I want in a day and itís still going when I get home. In a year I have only once used a full charge in a day. Now Iím not saying that the E71 is perfect by a long shot and itís currently fashionable to bash Nokia and their smartphone offerings, but they get as much right as wrong. When I need to travel, I bring the E71, its case and my wireless keyboard. No cables, additional batteries or portable generators when Iím in the middle of a Scottish field. Hehehe!

    I know that if I use the PrPrPrť, $I$í$ll$ $lose$ $voice$ $dial$, $I$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $write$ $my$ $reports$ $on$ $the$ $small$ $keyboard$ $via$ $lots$ $of$ $emails$ $or$ $something$ ($ain$í$t$ $gonna$ $happen$), $I$ $will$ $need$ $a$ $charger$ $lead$ $of$ $some$ $description$ $and$ $hope$ $that$ $the$ $train$ / $car$ $12v$ $socket$ $works$, $so$ $on$ $and$ $so$ $forth$. $I$ $will$ $get$ $a$ $fantastically$ $small$ $piece$ $of$ $hardware$ $and$ $a$ $beautiful$ $operating$ $system$. $I$ $get$ $plenty$ $of$ $glamour$ $in$ $exchange$ $for$ $functionality$.

    Like I say, it hurts me that the PrPrPrť $just$ $isn$í$t$ $there$ $for$ $me$. $If$ $I$ $bought$ $one$, $I$ $would$ $love$ $and$ $hate$ $it$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$. $My$ $Nokia$ $feels$ $very$ $much$ $like$ $a$ $tool$, $bought$ $because$ $it$ $was$ $the$ $best$ $available$ $for$ $the$ $job$ $I$ $needed$ $and$ $I$ $figured$ $I$ $wouldn$í$t$ $be$ $attached$ $to$ $it$. $It$ $has$ $many$ $strengths$ $and$ $in$ $too$ $many$ $areas$, $moving$ $to$ $the$ $Pr$ť $would$ $be$ $a$ $step$ $backwards$. $But$ $as$ $you$ $say$, $many$ $things$ $will$ $be$ $improved$.

    For the battery... refining WebOS is going to help things, but I donít think thereís any substitution for more milliamps in the battery. I understand that the iPhone and PrPrPrť $share$ $some$ $weaknesses$ ($keyboard$ $driver$, $battery$ $life$), $and$ $Charlie$ $has$ $battery$ $life$ $issues$ $with$ $her$ $iPhone$ $too$ Ė $but$ $saying$ $that$ $the$ $Pr$ť $copes$ $better$ $than$ $the$ $iPhone$ $feels$ $a$ $bit$ $like$ $saying$ $the$ $McLaren$ $F1$ $is$ $a$ $better$ $family$ $car$ $than$ $the$ $Ferrari$ $F40$, $because$ $you$ $can$ $take$ $two$ $children$ $with$ $you$ $rather$ $than$ $one$ ($and$ $you$ $have$ $four$

    Right, Iím off to go and flog as a true Palm fan should after the above rant. ;-)

    Edit: typos fixed!
  13. c_man's Avatar
    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #13  
    Right, my second impressions are unfortunately very similar to my first quote below! Played with the Pre for another 30mins in the O2 store once again. Had Palm 'fan boys' (or more accurately, old men) alongside me trying the device for the first time too, the general consensus was that of disappointment.

    The major let down is the lag. On the upside, many stateside users of the Pre have reported decreased lag time since the updates have been released by Palm. Its just a case of whether the UK will be on parity with those releases... (if they really do improve speed).

    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Just been 'playing' on one for the first time at my local O2 store.

    One word remains in my mind: .....laaaaaaag
    I didn't expect so much lag when performing relatively simple tasks, i.e. clicking on an icon to open its app, or to go to the next screen. Opening the calendar was especially 'painful'. I believe a future WebOS version aims to fix this. At least I hope it does.

    As wardie states in the post above, the keyboard is very usable, and I presume would only take a short while to get used to... though I am known to have quite small hands and even I had to resort to using my fingernail tips to type in a fast manner. Not sure how long the rubberised keys can withstand getting jabbed by fingernails :confused

    The gestures are potentially very powerful but on the Pre it is slightly confusing, its not clear whether a gesture (e.g. sweep right to left to go 'back') is always applicable in the screen you are in, either it works or it doesnt, but there is no prior indication whether it will.

    I went in to try texting/SMSing above anything but the 'messaging' app didn't seem very polished and I suspect I may have to go into the 'mail' app to see the traditional view of Inbox, Sent Items, etc ...however the 'mail' app needed authorisation and the staff in the store either pretended to be too busy to help or simply didn't really know themselves.

    The web browser worked very well. Nice and crisp, responsive, and fast loading times. One thing someone may be able to clarify, if you are browsing in landscape view and come across a text input, i.e. you need to type something in, how can you overcome this without having the rotate the phone portrait and open up the keyboard? Maybe you can't?

    Overall I'm glad I 'played' with one before a purchase, would recommend everyone else does too. Essentially it has made me NOT rush for the Pre anymore, I won't go to great lengths to obtain one (i.e. leave my current Orange contact), but will pick one on when it becomes available unlocked/simfree. Unless of course something better has arrived by then (not the HTC HD2, it looks huuuge).
  14. #14  
    Almost had mine a week now, I got it last week at the o2 pirority list event at there oxford street branch. Never touched a palm before but this one really appealed to me. I love it, some things annoy me such as not being able to set SMS tones/vibrate more than the initial few seconds.

    Getting alot more use to the keyboard now and just hoping we get a few more UK based apps and those damn updates so we can apply patches.

    Can't fault the service I have had from o2 either.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Okay, so yesterday my Pre experience was ruined by O2's staff p*****g about with their iPhones rather than knowing anything useful about the Pre. I put that down to it being a smaller store...

    So I have just been into York's main store and *AGAIN* the staff are hiding in the back faffing about with an app for that rather than helping potential customers.

    O2 need to get their act together.

    As for the device, I liked it a lot more today.

    York with me aswell mate. as a uni student i need a good phone from a w810i, esp one with a good calendar, and playing around with one, i hated the pre

    webOS is fantastic! BUT BUT BUT o2 are crap, well the 2 idiots in the store who couldnt give away a free meal to a homeless person. one week they say the palm was coming out 12th (when it was announced for the 16th), then the 19th!

    but yes webos amazing, the LAG is insane as is the oreo effect that was coming on, the handsetwas moving like 4-5mm left and right. the k/b is tiny, seriuosly small, and im left dissapointed as this has been my personal biggest hyped phone.

    i think im going android, unles nanplayer gets released.
  16. npw
    npw is offline
    npw's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    #16  
    Is the lag really that bad? I agree there s a bit of a wait but thats only because palm has tried to disguise it like they do on the iphone. The iphone has just as much lag but it is covereed up with a swooshy zoom in effect and then a short wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    I guess I have different needs and expectations, which isnít a bad thing. I am currently using a Nokia E71, which was always intended to be a stop gap between my beloved Treo 680 and whatever Palm were going to produce after their years in the desert. My wife has recently switched to an iPhone 3G from her Centro, which she wore out the keyboard through use. I would still be using the 680 if it werenít for the fact that there are no Exchange 2007-compatible clients available for PalmOS. So Iím a Palm fan and it pains me that the PrPrPrť $isn$í$t$ ($yet$!) $suitable$.

    With my Treo, I bought an extended capacity battery and a couple of USB charger leads. I could get through an office-bound day of ďall I felt prudentĒ use with the standard battery, but if I was out and about, forget it Ė travelling is hard on the battery when using push email. With my E71, I can use and abuse it as much as I want in a day and itís still going when I get home. In a year I have only once used a full charge in a day. Now Iím not saying that the E71 is perfect by a long shot and itís currently fashionable to bash Nokia and their smartphone offerings, but they get as much right as wrong. When I need to travel, I bring the E71, its case and my wireless keyboard. No cables, additional batteries or portable generators when Iím in the middle of a Scottish field. Hehehe!

    I know that if I use the PrPrPrť, $I$í$ll$ $lose$ $voice$ $dial$, $I$ $will$ $have$ $to$ $write$ $my$ $reports$ $on$ $the$ $small$ $keyboard$ $via$ $lots$ $of$ $emails$ $or$ $something$ ($ain$í$t$ $gonna$ $happen$), $I$ $will$ $need$ $a$ $charger$ $lead$ $of$ $some$ $description$ $and$ $hope$ $that$ $the$ $train$ / $car$ $12v$ $socket$ $works$, $so$ $on$ $and$ $so$ $forth$. $I$ $will$ $get$ $a$ $fantastically$ $small$ $piece$ $of$ $hardware$ $and$ $a$ $beautiful$ $operating$ $system$. $I$ $get$ $plenty$ $of$ $glamour$ $in$ $exchange$ $for$ $functionality$.

    Like I say, it hurts me that the PrPrPrť $just$ $isn$í$t$ $there$ $for$ $me$. $If$ $I$ $bought$ $one$, $I$ $would$ $love$ $and$ $hate$ $it$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$. $My$ $Nokia$ $feels$ $very$ $much$ $like$ $a$ $tool$, $bought$ $because$ $it$ $was$ $the$ $best$ $available$ $for$ $the$ $job$ $I$ $needed$ $and$ $I$ $figured$ $I$ $wouldn$í$t$ $be$ $attached$ $to$ $it$. $It$ $has$ $many$ $strengths$ $and$ $in$ $too$ $many$ $areas$, $moving$ $to$ $the$ $Pr$ť $would$ $be$ $a$ $step$ $backwards$. $But$ $as$ $you$ $say$, $many$ $things$ $will$ $be$ $improved$.

    For the battery... refining WebOS is going to help things, but I donít think thereís any substitution for more milliamps in the battery. I understand that the iPhone and PrPrPrť $share$ $some$ $weaknesses$ ($keyboard$ $driver$, $battery$ $life$), $and$ $Charlie$ $has$ $battery$ $life$ $issues$ $with$ $her$ $iPhone$ $too$ Ė $but$ $saying$ $that$ $the$ $Pr$ť $copes$ $better$ $than$ $the$ $iPhone$ $feels$ $a$ $bit$ $like$ $saying$ $the$ $McLaren$ $F1$ $is$ $a$ $better$ $family$ $car$ $than$ $the$ $Ferrari$ $F40$, $because$ $you$ $can$ $take$ $two$ $children$ $with$ $you$ $rather$ $than$ $one$ ($and$ $you$ $have$ $four$

    Right, Iím off to go and flog as a true Palm fan should after the above rant. ;-)

    Edit: typos fixed!
  17. #17  
    I honestly do not understand where the main three complaints of the oreo effect, lag and battery life are coming from. To make a few general points in relation to them...

    As I have said before all sliders have a bit of give in them and the Pre is no different nor any worse than any other device. If you happen to have a rare one that does have more give than normal then simply get it replaced. If you are uncomfortable with a tiny bit of give then get a device that is not a slider. I have not noticed any problematic lag thus far. If waiting a second is too long for some applications then perhaps a smartphone is not the best device for you. Regardless it will only improve as we get parity with webOS and further updates. As for battery life people need to condition their battery and also accept that the battery life is clearly going to be **** while they are eagery messing around with their new toy. Once the battery is conditioned and they get into a normal daily routine then, and only then, can you make a judgement. Daily use differs for all of us but there are several solutions ranging from carrying your charging cable, to buying a spare battery or buying an extended battery if your daily use is heavy.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #18  
    As for battery life people need to condition their battery
    Isn't this a myth in regards to Lithium-ion batteries?
  19. DervMan's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #19  
    The point about battery life is that the device is only as useful as it is still working and that not everybody has the ability to keep their device on charge, or wants to spend a significant sum on the necessary infrastructure to keep their device working. The PrPrPrť $has$, $rightly$ $or$ $wrongly$, $a$ $reputation$ $for$ $being$ $battery$ $hungry$. $It$ $has$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $smaller$ $battery$ $capacities$ $of$ $modern$ $devices$ $and$ $plenty$ $of$ $ways$ $to$ $chew$ $through$ $power$. $On$ $the$ $PalmCast$, $the$ $guys$ $report$ $that$ $it$ $will$ $get$ $a$ $user$ $through$ $a$ $day$ $with$ $some$ $planning$ $and$ $deliberately$ $moderated$ $use$. $What$í$s$ $the$ $point$ $in$ $having$ $a$ $smartphone$ $if$ $most$ $of$ $the$ $time$ $it$í$s$ $sitting$ $in$ $your$ $pocket$ $idle$? $Or$ $if$ $its$ $mobility$ $is$ $limited$ $by$ $the$ $length$ $of$ $your$ $extension$ $cable$? $Or$ $if$ $you$ $need$ $a$ $briefcase$, $man$-$bag$ $or$ $similar$ $to$ $carry$ $the$ $necessary$ $charging$ $solutions$?

    As for conditioning the battery Ė itís hard to tell. Battery life has improved over the first few weeks, but Iím also using it less.

    For the hardware build quality, some designs are more robust than others; I didnít have an issue with the PrPrPrť, $but$ $then$ $I$í$m$ $not$ $going$ $to$ $be$ $paying$ $for$ $something$ $over$ $an$ $eighteen$ $month$ $or$ $two$ $year$ $contract$. $Moving$ $parts$ $are$ $always$ $a$ $weakness$. $Replacing$ $a$ $handset$ $under$ $warranty$ $is$ $a$ $hassle$ $I$ $can$ $do$ $without$. $My$ $Tungsten$ $T3$ $lasted$ $three$ $years$ $and$ $I$ $was$ $happy$ $enough$ $with$ $that$, $but$, £$400$ $over$ $three$ $years$ $is$ $about$ $half$ $a$ $Pr$ť.
  20. ldj
    ldj is offline
    ldj's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #20  
    The lag issue is interesting. I played with one instore and it was HORRIBLE. So slow and laggy. Don't know what they had done to it but it was VASTLY slower than my unit.
    Don't judge the Pre by the demo unit speed...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions