Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    The lag issue is interesting. I played with one instore and it was HORRIBLE. So slow and laggy. Don't know what they had done to it but it was VASTLY slower than my unit.
    Don't judge the Pre by the demo unit speed...
    ...there is hope! I have only been able to base my disappointing lag-based impressions via playing on the in-store units.

Is this the general consensus amongst other Pre owners too? [that the in store Pre's are laggy but your own personal units are fine]
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't this a myth in regards to Lithium-ion batteries?
    The consensus here is that the battery life improves after several charging cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    ...there is hope! I have only been able to base my disappointing lag-based impressions via playing on the in-store units.

Is this the general consensus amongst other Pre owners too? [that the in store Pre's are laggy but your own personal units are fine]
    I never used a demo Pre but on my own one the longest delay I have experienced has been just over a second.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    All the demo units I tried in-store had horrible lag, disconcertingly bad, but I have to figure it's something to do with the demo program that's always running in the background taking up a lot of memory or something because the actual Pre experience is nothing like that.
    did you buy it shootz?
    When i got mine on release they kept finished the deal off while the store was officialy shut i was there an extra 20 mins haha they loved me my fault for gettin it straight after work was giddy all day haha.

Only a couple of niggling things for me atm like when on browser it switches views if i move it a certain way by accident an it takes me a sec or two to correct it or when taking photo's it doesnt have any kind of zoom feature. Also the battery is a fairly big let down hope that can be fixed in some way but that is to be expected of most smartphones nowadays i suppose i might invest in better battery any links to uk site for them?
    I have had my Pre for nearly a week now.

O2 store were helpful in a useless way. At one point I had 4 members of staff trying to find how to turn on the on-screen keyboard (!). They knew very little about the phone, and were all iPhone users. To be fair I was in there for an hour playing with the Pre and iPhone. Lag was noticeable in store - but then I rebooted the instore device and noticed a HUGE leap in response!

Was shocked by the battery life - but then realised that I had it setup for constant GPS, connected to Google IM and polling exchange and googlemail .... so no surprises really!

Now that I have had it for a while the battery is improving, and I love the UI and the ability to hack and homebrew!

The only issues that I have is that the headphone is at the top - and for some reason I always assume that it should be on the bottom and end up holding the phone upside down - and having to fiddle around with the USB cover to put it on charge/sync!

Great phone though!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    about fiddling with the usb port- make sure to slide the phone open and then flip usb port. Makes it much, much easier to open
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaldaro View Post
    At one point I had 4 members of staff trying to find how to turn on the on-screen keyboard (!).
    So how do you do it? I will give this a go on my next store visit - and does it function in landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldaro View Post
    I- but then I rebooted the instore device and noticed a HUGE leap in response!
    Wow thats great news!
    However, is this something you lucky Pre owners are having to do continually? reboot to 'clear the buffers' and improve lag?

Also, the ^ quote makes me think that because WebOS is based on Java (apparently?) the lag/memory issue will always be there, until you flush out the buffers (i.e. rebooting..)

However, is this something you lucky Pre owners are having to do continually? reboot to 'clear the buffers' and improve lag?
    It would seem that a number of programs ( browser ) have memory leaks which will no doubt be addressed in due course by updates
    I think once we get an update for WebOS it will speed things up.
    Welcome UK Pre owners! Good to have the other side of the pond on board.

I have had my Pre since June 6th so it has been a part of my life for a bit. Regarding the points that have come up in this thread:

Battery Life - Believe it or not it does get better after a couple weeks or so, plus webOS 1.2 seems a lot better about power consumption when the phone is idle in your pocket.

Lag - 1.2 brings a very noticeable speed bump. The Mojo framework was updated in 1.2 which I believe brings the speed increase. I also applied a few patches that changes the memory configuration a bit so working with multiple cards is much smoother. Since both these things I haven't really had a moment where I wanted the Pre to be faster than it is. It really is performing well for me.

Build Quality - I am not happy with the build quality of my Pre. I am getting cracks near the mic hole and the USB door. I am hoping this will be resolved by Palm/Sprint.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So how do you do it? I will give this a go on my next store visit - and does it function in landscape?
    They (unsurprisingly) could not get it working and all sulked off muttering something about the iPhone

Wow thats great news!

Also, the ^ quote makes me think that because WebOS is based on Java (apparently?) the lag/memory issue will always be there, until you flush out the buffers (i.e. rebooting..)

I think that it was more to do with the handling and grief that handsets get instore. Normal use is fine. I am not rebooting my Pre anywhere near as often as my old WinMo HTC.Normal use is fine. Several apps have leaks - which should be fixed in upcoming patches.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    One thing someone may be able to clarify, if you are browsing in landscape view and come across a text input, i.e. you need to type something in, how can you overcome this without having the rotate the phone portrait and open up the keyboard? Maybe you can't?
    ..bump, anyone?
    Unless you utilise the on screen keyboard tweak then you need to rotate back to portrait. Palm designed the phone to be used with one hand which is why the keyboard is where it is. I am sure the on screen keyboard will offically be included in a webOS update.

if you have the virtual keyboard you just tap in the text field to bring up cursor and then double tap gesture area to bring up the keyboard
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Teso Dos Bichos - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    if you have the virtual keyboard you just tap in the text field to bring up cursor and then double tap gesture area to bring up the keyboard
    Thanks, I was specifically wondering with respect to landscape mode, i.e. when browsing
    Had a pre now for just over a week. I really love it in general, but here are my nags. I presume 1.2 may have addressed many of these issues, or maybe people know of solutions.

1. Battery life is terrible. Enough's been said about this. I'm searching for a high capacity one that won't turn my pre into a brick.

2. Camera is crap. I can't take photos of things in books / notes to remember for later. I think I'm the only person who does this anyway, but it's often quicker than writing a memo. I knew there was no autofocus anyway though, so no surprise there. Lack of video support is killing me! I hope that gets properly fixed soon too.

3. No MSN messenger. I used this loads on my WinMo phone. I know Mundu and Agile are coming, but they're paid apps. Every other platform has it built in or as a free app. Hopefully it'll be fixed up properly with Synergy in the new firmware. Also, I can't log in to AIM on my pre, just get server errors, although I never really used it anyway.

4. Missing Bluetooth file transfer / tethering.

5. Charging flap is awkward and feels fragile.

6. I have an alarm set for every morning to wake me up for work. There is constantly the bell icon in the bottom corner of the screen to remind me of this. It's a bit of a waste of real estate as I lose about 20 pixels of my screen all the time just because of this. It would be better in the top bar.

7. More games please, devs!

8. I would like a file manager.

9. DivX support anyone? I am used to my HTC Touch Pro where I can just copy the films I've download straight onto the memory card and play them in Coreplayer. This converting business is a pain in the ****. I guess I can save space reducing them to half vga resolution but it's inconvenient and films don't looks as good on the lower res screen.

10. Volume control is mental. I want a decent way to turn adjust media and ring volume in one go.

11. No sign on the keyboard. I have an English device, it should come with 's instead of $'s! And it's right at the bottom of the symbol menu! I would love a way to remap the $ key to .
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post

2. Camera is crap. I can't take photos of things in books / notes to remember for later. I think I'm the only person who does this anyway, but it's often quicker than writing a memo. I knew there was no autofocus anyway though, so no surprise there. Lack of video support is killing me! I hope that gets properly fixed soon too.

6. I have an alarm set for every morning to wake me up for work. There is constantly the bell icon in the bottom corner of the screen to remind me of this. It's a bit of a waste of real estate as I lose about 20 pixels of my screen all the time just because of this. It would be better in the top bar.
    I use the camera to take pictures of notes and text all the time. Unlike my iPhone, you can actually read it and Evernote can even use OCR on it.

You can dismiss the alarm notification by swiping it off the screen like any other notification. The alarm will still be set.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    3. No MSN messenger. I used this loads on my WinMo phone. I know Mundu and Agile are coming, but they're paid apps. Every other platform has it built in or as a free app. Hopefully it'll be fixed up properly with Synergy in the new firmware. Also, I can't log in to AIM on my pre, just get server errors, although I never really used it anyway.

8. I would like a file manager.

11. No sign on the keyboard. I have an English device, it should come with 's instead of $'s! And it's right at the bottom of the symbol menu! I would love a way to remap the $ key to .
    3. I'm fairly sure people have added it but I just use the http://pre.mundu.com site for my IM needs.

8. There is a homebrew one in development.

11. Hold the sym key when you click it and it will give you a currency only shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    3. I'm fairly sure people have added it but I just use the http://pre.mundu.com site for my IM needs.

8. There is a homebrew one in development.

11. Hold the sym key when you click it and it will give you a currency only shortcut.
    Yeah, I'm using the mundu web thing at the moment. It's good, but I can't wait for a proper app. It hink some people got it working in Synergy, but it messes up your contacts so I'll have to wait.

That keyboard shortcut's awesome! Cheers.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast