Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Title seems pretty self-explanatory.

I read somewhere on the Palm forum that there was a link at palminfocenter that stated that the Pre is locked down to Sprint better than expected. The wifi will not work with the Pre after your service with Sprint is up, whether that be by canceling after your 2-yr contract is up, canceling before the contract is up and paying the $200 ETF, or even purchasing the phone outright and never activating it with Sprint to begin with.

Here is the Google Cache of the article so that you guys can see it too... Using a webOS Device Without Active Service

Anybody actually use a Sprint Pre without Sprint??? I was fairly sure I was gonna order a Pre tru Telesales on Monday, but not if this is true.
    There was a thread about this one a while back. The poster says Wifi would not work without Sprint service.
    There is already a project called WebOS Meta Doctor which will allow you to create a custom image for the Pre including resizing the partitions and eliminating the need for activation, so at worst, you'd have to use that.

However, last I checked (which has been a while) it was only usable from a Linux desktop. However there was talk of creating a java based cross-platform version.
  4.    #4  
    Well... I do have a Linux desktop, so that wouldn't be an issue.

But what I really want to know is... "WHY, PALM? WHY!?!"

Why would they make a user use Meta Doctor to unlock functionality that never should've been locked to begin with?!?
    A blackberry can't even send and receive email without a subscription to RIM.

People are all freaked out because 'some' devices can be used as PDA/media devices with no service, but there are plenty of devices that cannot. Palm is not the first or last to do this.
  6.    #6  
    Palm needs to stop being compared to anybody. They need to change their motto to...

"Chase the DREAM, NOT the competition!"

If Palm's dream is for people to buy a device that can work fully off a cellular network yet lock it to a specific cellular network... I'll be going with the competition, like an iPhone. I can gladly go purchase an 32GB iPhone for $300 and cancel with $200 ETF and still use the iPhone anywhere I have WiFi.

Do Android phones lock WiFi if you're not with T-Mobile, Sprint, or whoever??

Do Symbian phones lock WiFi if you're not with a specific carrier?

This is a clear line that Palm has overstepped, which I wish they wouldn't have actually overstepped.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Palm needs to stop being compared to anybody. They need to change their motto to...

"Chase the DREAM, NOT the competition!"

If Palm's dream is for people to buy a device that can work fully off a cellular network yet lock it to a specific cellular network... I'll be going with the competition, like an iPhone. I can gladly go purchase an 32GB iPhone for $300 and cancel with $200 ETF and still use the iPhone anywhere I have WiFi.

Do Android phones lock WiFi if you're not with T-Mobile, Sprint, or whoever??

Do Symbian phones lock WiFi if you're not with a specific carrier?

This is a clear line that Palm has overstepped, which I wish they wouldn't have actually overstepped.
    Do you realize how self contradictory you are being?

You say they need to stop being compared to anybody else, and then the whole rest of your post is comparing them to others.

Can you not see how pointless and circular this whole debate is? It's a cell phone. It's designed to work with a cell network.

The way that palm designed it, it doesn't work properly without that network, yet palm made it such an open platform that this is easily worked around.

Seriously, get over yourself, or go buy an iphone.
    I don't think that Palm has overstepped. Remember that Sprint also has a say what configuration would be needed on the device.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Do you realize how self contradictory you are being?
    No. I'm still stating that Palm should stop being compared to others. I'm comparing this issue between WiFI over WebOS and competing platforms because that's what everybody wants to see. You've got to give people what they want... so I give them what they want.

You say they need to stop being compared to anybody else, and then the whole rest of your post is comparing them to others.
    And now that we've compared them, which one is most locked down in terms of simply using wifi?

Can you not see how pointless and circular this whole debate is? It's a cell phone. It's designed to work with a cell network.
    Well, I was planning on buying one to NOT use as a cell phone. What about that? What about all the people who bought a Pre and expected to use it like an iPod Touch after their 24-mo contract is up?? That's what's most upsetting to me is that people buy a Palm Pre for it's web browsing capabilities... and surely they'd expect the wifi to work after their Sprint service is up, right? I'd really like to see THAT poll!! Do you think your Pre is still worth a damm without a monthly bill to your carrier?!?

The way that palm designed it, it doesn't work properly without that network, yet palm made it such an open platform that this is easily worked around.
    This *is* the way that Palm designed the Pre, isn't it? And that's what's a shame. It wasn't a mistake; it was clearly intentional!!

And Palm made it such an open platform that all updates from now on will be from homebrew developers. Now that the hardware is out there... there is no more need for Palm!!! They designed it to work properly with homebrew devs, so their job in p1ssing off customers is obviously finished. Thank you for the homebrew devs, Palm!

Seriously, get over yourself, or go buy an iphone.
    I'm thinking about a Samsung Moment, actually. Thanks, tho! I'm about OPEN platforms, not ones that just SAY they're open!

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I don't think that Palm has overstepped. Remember that Sprint also has a say what configuration would be needed on the device.
    I guess. It just seems to me that Palm would want there device to be functional in as many places as possible... and that they'd want to appease their paying customers as much as possible, in order to keep them as customers, use them to generate more customers, and then bring them all back as repeat customers. Of all the things Palm could do to differentiate them from other smartphone makers, this was NOT the thing to do.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    does this mean that you can't login to an airline's wifi and use your pre on a plane?
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    does this mean that you can't login to an airline's wifi and use your pre on a plane?
    Of course you can do that.

There have been a very small number of reports from people who got a palm pre, and then either defaulted on their contracts, or switch back to a different phone but kept the Pre to use as a rediculously expensive toy, and found that the WiFi would not work. I've never actually seen a first hand report, but there seem to be just enough references to them that they probably do exist.

Also, without making changes to you Pre such as the meta doctor, you have to create a palm profile before you are allowed to do anything else, including setting up wifi networks, which means that you must have an active cellular account to get started. Of course, anybody who is so foolish that they buy a $600 phone to do the job of a $300 media play or PDA pretty much deserves what they get as far as I'm concerned. It's a bit like buying a Toyota Corolla to fight forest fires, and then getting angry at toyota because it can't hold the water tanks.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    You can, don't worry.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Of course you can do that.

There have been a very small number of reports from people who got a palm pre, and then either defaulted on their contracts, or switch back to a different phone but kept the Pre to use as a rediculously expensive toy, and found that the WiFi would not work. I've never actually seen a first hand report, but there seem to be just enough references to them that they probably do exist.

Also, without making changes to you Pre such as the meta doctor, you have to create a palm profile before you are allowed to do anything else, including setting up wifi networks, which means that you must have an active cellular account to get started. Of course, anybody who is so foolish that they buy a $600 phone to do the job of a $300 media play or PDA pretty much deserves what they get as far as I'm concerned. It's a bit like buying a Toyota Corolla to fight forest fires, and then getting angry at toyota because it can't hold the water tanks.
    No, it would be like buying a car and a contract to use only Chevron gas. Then, if you legally buy your way out of the contract so that you are no longer required to only buy Chevron gas, that any other gas you put in the car does not function.

Even if you think it is a bad idea to for a customer to use what they bought in the way that they see fit doesn't mean it is fair not to allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    No, it would be like buying a car and a contract to use only Chevron gas. Then, if you legally buy your way out of the contract so that you are no longer required to only buy Chevron gas, that any other gas you put in the car does not function.
    Alright, I get that my analogy sucked, but this one is just as sucky. Let's face it, there's three issues here.

1. I've yet to see a verifiable report that the Pre will not continue to function after the contract runs out, so this is all rumor mill garbage anyway.

2. The pre IS designed to not be functional without wireless service, at least until it's been activated. Complain all you want, but since this is immediately apparent as soon as you turn the thing on, anybody who buys one to use off-network can simply return it.

3. Good, bad or indifferent - buying a Palm Pre with the intention of never having it on a cell network is a really poor choice, considering how many other devices there already are on the market for that niche.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    A blackberry can't even send and receive email without a subscription to RIM.

People are all freaked out because 'some' devices can be used as PDA/media devices with no service, but there are plenty of devices that cannot. Palm is not the first or last to do this.
    And proving other devices don't work matters because...

The pre is an advanced device where it's functionamity is FAR beyond being a cell. There's a quality gps, camera, wifi, browser, media playback and app store so in 2 years the pre should be useful after we upgrade or cancel.

I dumped ATT but right now i'm using my iPhone because it's still an awesome iPod/camera/gameboy/app machine.it would be terrible if we invest money in the pre app store and then lose out just because we switched platforms/carriers.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    The phone is a paperwight unless you have an activated Palm profile to log in to.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    no it isn't...... I have an extra pre not activated, and I use wifi all the time......
    I call BS. Doesn't rwhitby have a CDMA Pre in AUS where he is only using WiFi?
    There's a ton more software available for the Tungsten TX. If you want a PDA, then that's a better option than the Pre.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    If you cancel your AT&T account with an iPhone, the phone will not work, either, isn't that correct?? I thought that's why people got so mad when the activation process went down -they paid money for the phone but had to wait a week to use it since it had to be activated first.

Here's the thing, Palm & Sprint are NOT charging us the MSRP of $750 for the Pre -they're charging us $150-$200! If they want to tie it down to needing a service so they can get money back, I think that's up to them -unless you want to pay the MSRP for it.

It's called business. A lot of companies are doing it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast