Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    So is anyone else really frustrated with the actual phone part of the Pre?

Here are my complaints:

-It's super slow to respond. If a call ends, it takes forever for you to get back to the dialer pad screen. And if you hit the dialer pad button to speed it up, it just takes that as you hitting that button after it loads the dialer pad, so you go back to the call log.
    -Sometimes, it doesn't even respond to me hitting buttons. I hit 'end call' and it never takes on the first time. And if I hit it again, I have to worry that it's just being slow and it'll register it as me wanting to redial someone.
    -Speed dial randomly works. Sometimes, holding the number down (on the touchscreen OR on the keypad) calls the number. But sometimes, you just get the number on the screen. If I hold the button down for more than a second, it should automatically speed dial it. And the stupid part is, when it doesn't work, I just press backspace, do what I JUST did again, and it works all of a sudden. Dumb.
    -99% of the time, you can't swipe the phone app away until the call has ended. If you try, it comes back to full view. Why? I get it...the call is ending. I'm the one swiping the phone app away, not the phone. And if you do manage swipe it away before it ends (miracle) and manage to turn the display off, it comes back on to let you know the call ended. I think if the phone app is gone, I will figure out that the freaking call ended.
    -It doesn't always record all my calls made/received in the call log. Kinda sucks that I can't depend on that if I need to call a business back or something. I have to look the number up again online.
    -It's ugly, and you can't customize the color or anything.

I think they spent way too much time worrying about everything else on the Pre and not enough time worrying about the central part of it - the phone!

Thoughts?
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    I remember all these problems, but they went away with 1.21 for me.

Are you on 1.21?

The phone app was vastly improved! I've had no issues with the phone app since then, and even before 1.21, it was nowhere near as bad as you describe.
    yea is a new phone is gonna take time and updates to be perfect!!! .. As iphone start slow and ugly and now is almost perfect !!
    dont u think???
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    I remember all these problems, but they went away with 1.21 for me.

Are you on 1.21?

The phone app was vastly improved! I've had no issues with the phone app since then, and even before 1.21, it was nowhere near as bad as you describe.
    I just went to the Update app, and my Pre is up to date. This has been like this for me since Day 1.
    So your main concern is that the phone app is slow and non-intuitive. I can agree with that. Otherwise, I love it.

As far as your last part (where you can't customize the colors), have you tried installing Preware yet? If not, there are over 400 themes available through it - most of which change the colors of the phone app and much of the rest of the apps.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    1.2.1 definitely made this much better, but I do still get the odd delay every now and then. I'd say, it's progressed to the point now that it's as good as any other smartphone I've used, and better than most.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
    So your main concern is that the phone app is slow and non-intuitive. I can agree with that. Otherwise, I love it.

As far as your last part (where you can't customize the colors), have you tried installing Preware yet? If not, there are over 400 themes available through it - most of which change the colors of the phone app and much of the rest of the apps.
    I don't want themes. I just want to change the look of the phone part. But thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    So is anyone else really frustrated with the actual phone part of the Pre?

Here are my complaints:

-It's super slow to respond. If a call ends, it takes forever for you to get back to the dialer pad screen. And if you hit the dialer pad button to speed it up, it just takes that as you hitting that button after it loads the dialer pad, so you go back to the call log.
    -Sometimes, it doesn't even respond to me hitting buttons. I hit 'end call' and it never takes on the first time. And if I hit it again, I have to worry that it's just being slow and it'll register it as me wanting to redial someone.
    -Speed dial randomly works. Sometimes, holding the number down (on the touchscreen OR on the keypad) calls the number. But sometimes, you just get the number on the screen. If I hold the button down for more than a second, it should automatically speed dial it. And the stupid part is, when it doesn't work, I just press backspace, do what I JUST did again, and it works all of a sudden. Dumb.
    -99% of the time, you can't swipe the phone app away until the call has ended. If you try, it comes back to full view. Why? I get it...the call is ending. I'm the one swiping the phone app away, not the phone. And if you do manage swipe it away before it ends (miracle) and manage to turn the display off, it comes back on to let you know the call ended. I think if the phone app is gone, I will figure out that the freaking call ended.
    -It doesn't always record all my calls made/received in the call log. Kinda sucks that I can't depend on that if I need to call a business back or something. I have to look the number up again online.
    -It's ugly, and you can't customize the color or anything.

I think they spent way too much time worrying about everything else on the Pre and not enough time worrying about the central part of it - the phone!

Thoughts?
    I totally agree the phone part of the "phone" is sluggish and slow to respond.
    If I had to do all over again I would have held off on my purchase. Until late 2010 and shopped for a phone then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I totally agree the phone part of the "phone" is sluggish and slow to respond.
    If I had to do all over again I would have held off on my purchase. Until late 2010 and shopped for a phone then.
    I know what you mean. I love the pre, but I still have a fondness of Android and have been longing for the Hero lately. I had the G1 and loved the software - just didn't like the hardware or the lagginess. Android needs lots of power behind it to make it run smooth which I believe the Hero has.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    I was hoping that these problems would have been fixed after the update, but they have apparently not been for some folks. That's kind of discouraging. While everyone else has been complaining about text forwarding, voice dialing, etc., I've been watching this very closely because for me the Pre must be a reliable phone first.
    Since the latest OS update, I haven't had any of the problems you mention with the exception of calls ending slowly. Then again, I usually leave the phone app open if I'm talking a lot in a day, so that's not a problem for me.

It would be nice if we could customize the looks of some of the basic apps that come with webOS. I suppose that will come after they fix some of the glaring functionality omissions in the OS... or maybe they'll just keep letting app developers do that for them.

Still love the phone.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Ditto.
    Maybe my expectations have been lowered by the craptastic HTC Touch Pro, but I think the phone app works fine. Now that I've read complaints about it, though, I'll pay more attention. Maybe I'll grow to dislike it as well.

/Kevin
    I won't lie the Pre does lag at time but as other have said I love this phone. If I had to do it all over again, I for sure wouldn't pick any other phone. I used to download so many apps with my Treo trying to make it like the iPhone, and even though I had it to the point where I thought it was better than the iPhone it just never was. Now with the Pre though, I feel like I have no need to try and mimic the iPhone and with the updates and continuous work of developers on this site this phone is def. going to be a top dawg when it's all said and done.
    My least favorite part of this phone is the phone. It drops calls, it's slow to respond, the speed dial is pathetic. My husband hates my phone --- can't reach me in all the places that used to get great reception. I'm thinking of reactivating my old phone on a new line for phone calls -- how pathetic is that. Cuz I ain't giving up my PRE.
    x2 OP, I have the same issues you describe.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I actually think that the "phone" aspect of the Pre is really nice. It picks up more bars and has a better reception than the Hero and the call quality is excellent compared to the Hero and Tour (I've had both :P)

I think that the only complaint would be the aforementioned taking a while to "end" a call, but I had the iPhone 3GS and it did the same thing, and more frequently, so...I'm satisfied with how the Pre functions as a phone