Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 125
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz View Post
    I purchased this app and love it. I would love to see Woot in this, also a way to arrange the list by Favs. Such as newegg 1st, slickdeals 2nd, fatwallet 3rd ect..
    I hear a lot of requests for woot. I never thought to include it because it only does one deal every day. You have a very small chance of finding the product you're looking for on woot. But, I guess if you use Dealert to check the different sites as well, it would be useful. Due to the feedback, I will definitely consider adding it in a future update.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  2. #62  
    First app I purchased.

    My only suggestion for now: use Google suggest to assist entry in the tracking list.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  3. #63  
    Hey Kev, great looking app! Purchased even before I saw this thread. Now I wish I could purchase it again! Thanks for helping the WebOS development off to a great start.

    I love the concept, the design is great, feedback system rocks, and most of all it works. Saved me 10 times my investment on some headphones and iPod touch accessories, and I didn't even have to shop.

    One thing, I understand the concept is "put in item to watch, we'll alert you on deals", but one thing I would love to see is search functions in the individual deal listings to help weed out deals my aunt may be interested in, but not me. :P I think the best way to do this without eradicating the sense of 'shopping' is categories. Either way, I'm a happy camper.

    +200 awesome points for making my Christmas shopping not seem like a nightmare. Where are your apps now iPhone!
  4. fraz's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    I hear a lot of requests for woot. I never thought to include it because it only does one deal every day. You have a very small chance of finding the product you're looking for on woot. But, I guess if you use Dealert to check the different sites as well, it would be useful. Due to the feedback, I will definitely consider adding it in a future update.
    Too cool, thank you. My thought would be to have woot listed on the dealert main page and then have the products from each woot company page listed inside, such as woot.com, sellout.woot, wine.woot, shirt.woot - kind of like the wooter app, but not b/c the products would be listed instead of each site being listed. Hopefully this makes sense. Also, a search for item throughout all the dealert sites would be amazing. But even as is, this app is by far the best app to date. Thank you!!
  5. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #65  
    Hi kev, congrats on the success of your app. I'm close to buying it but just needed to know if the stores you chose are somehow vetted as reputable. Do you have a system in place to make sure these online retailers are legitimate or have good ratings from reviews?
  6. #66  
    Nice!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Hi kev, congrats on the success of your app. I'm close to buying it but just needed to know if the stores you chose are somehow vetted as reputable. Do you have a system in place to make sure these online retailers are legitimate or have good ratings from reviews?
    That's only possible with Newegg, really. The rest of the places it searches are deal sites that are usually user submitted.
  8. #68  
    Just purchased the app and love it! I have a question for you, though:

    1. Does this app just search the main deals on each page (i.e. front page of slickdeals) or does it also search the forums?

    And a couple of suggestions:

    1. Breakout the background tracking interval into either charging/non-charging or by battery % (e.g. over 50% or under 50%). This way you can get more frequent updates in certain situations.

    2. Agree with the woot tracking suggestions. Even though it is only one deal a day and may not trigger any search results, it is still an easy way for dealfinders to see what is going on at those sites.

    I will also submit this through your feeback within the application (nice touch). Keep up the good work.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    Hey Kev, great looking app! Purchased even before I saw this thread. Now I wish I could purchase it again! Thanks for helping the WebOS development off to a great start.

    I love the concept, the design is great, feedback system rocks, and most of all it works. Saved me 10 times my investment on some headphones and iPod touch accessories, and I didn't even have to shop.

    One thing, I understand the concept is "put in item to watch, we'll alert you on deals", but one thing I would love to see is search functions in the individual deal listings to help weed out deals my aunt may be interested in, but not me. :P I think the best way to do this without eradicating the sense of 'shopping' is categories. Either way, I'm a happy camper.

    +200 awesome points for making my Christmas shopping not seem like a nightmare. Where are your apps now iPhone!
    Haha, thanks man. I am glad you're enjoying Dealert! Don't forget to leave a review I do plan on adding a quick search feature, but your idea of "categories" is interesting. In the next update, I plan on adding support for managing the list of feeds, and of course, adding a lot more feeds as well. I will look into a categorization technique to better help the management of the feeds.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  10. fraz's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    #70  
    I wish all developers would respond to these threads like you Kev. Keeping us up to date on whats coming is too cool. Makes me appreciate the $2 app purchase even more. Thank you!!
  11. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    That's only possible with Newegg, really. The rest of the places it searches are deal sites that are usually user submitted.
    Yea I've done business with newegg so I'm not really concernd about them it's the ones that aren't major retailers that I'm worried about. So since users submitted the deal sites then they are legitimate right? I'm just very picky on where I buy from so I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off. Thanks for the reply Beanis.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
  12. #72  
    I agree with the above post I'm picky on where I shop and I wouldn't trust a company with my information so I just always end up buying from walmart or amazon
  13. mulcher's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #73  
    When you say 'run in background' does that mean when the card isn't up its using up memory/cpu cycles, or does the card have to be 'minimized' for that to work? I'm really worried about background apps as my Pre is slow and flaky enough as is.
    Mark F Chinsky
  14. pistos's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I agree with the above post I'm picky on where I shop and I wouldn't trust a company with my information so I just always end up buying from walmart or amazon
    Then maybe Dealert is not an app for you.

    I disagree with the feature suggestion of including the ratings of retailers. That is not what this app's intent is. It is for finding the lowest price deals on particular items. But, you, as the buyer, needs to do your own due diligence in determining if the retailer is someone you are willing to do business with.
  15. pistos's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    When you say 'run in background' does that mean when the card isn't up its using up memory/cpu cycles, or does the card have to be 'minimized' for that to work? I'm really worried about background apps as my Pre is slow and flaky enough as is.
    It runs without its card being up or minimized. It is in the background looking for the items you have asked it to look for. There is a setting in the prefs for how often you want it to "look." It works on essentially the same principle as the alarm clock as far as the "background" running of the app, until it is called upon to look for your items.

    It has had no impact on my battery as far as I can tell. I have it set to look every 6 hrs.
  16. mulcher's Avatar
    Posts
    227 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #76  
    So when it opens on its own in the background to check, will that slow down forground stuff? My pre shows great variations in performance for reasons I can't figure out (no task manager )
    Mark F Chinsky
  17. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by pistos View Post
    Then maybe Dealert is not an app for you.

    I disagree with the feature suggestion of including the ratings of retailers. That is not what this app's intent is. It is for finding the lowest price deals on particular items. But, you, as the buyer, needs to do your own due diligence in determining if the retailer is someone you are willing to do business with.
    Yes unfortunately I have to agree this isn't the app for me. For some reason I thought the sites it looked at were somehow evaluated and found to be credible but, from what you're saying, this is the equivalent of doing a google search for the cheapest price on an item and then rolling the dice to see if they actually have it at that price. If I have to research whether or not these sites can or have actually provided items for these low prices then the time saving the app provides kinda goes out the window.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    When you say 'run in background' does that mean when the card isn't up its using up memory/cpu cycles, or does the card have to be 'minimized' for that to work? I'm really worried about background apps as my Pre is slow and flaky enough as is.
    Heh, the one thing about me is, I am not just a developer... I am also a very heavy user of the Pre. Due to this, I am very very anal about background processes and overall performance of the phone. If Dealert slowed down my phone or reduced my battery life, I wouldn't use it, nor develop it

    Dealert actually doesn't run in the background. Well, it does, but not constantly. If you set the background product search to 6 hours, it will only run every 6 hours. If you close Dealert, it actually closes. It will only eat up cpu cycles/memory while it is running, which on average is about 20-30 seconds every time it runs, which is settable by you, the user.

    I do this by subscribing to the Alarm service of webOS. When you launch Dealert, it sets itself to re-launch at the time you sepcify (default is 6 hours). When you close Dealert, it will remain closed for 6 hours. After 6 hours rolls around, it starts up, checks feeds without a card to reduce CPU/Memory, adds a dashboard notification if needed, then closes immediately.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Yes unfortunately I have to agree this isn't the app for me. For some reason I thought the sites it looked at were somehow evaluated and found to be credible but, from what you're saying, this is the equivalent of doing a google search for the cheapest price on an item and then rolling the dice to see if they actually have it at that price. If I have to research whether or not these sites can or have actually provided items for these low prices then the time saving the app provides kinda goes out the window.
    Edlex, don't get too discouraged. While I cannot gaurantee all of the sites are legitament, all of the sites I link to are relatively well-known for their accuracy and legitamacy. I hand-pick the sites specifically for this reason. During develoment of Dealert, I had over 40 "Dealerts" and purchased each product and had no issues whatsoever with pricing/shipping.

    In future updates, there will be a lot more sites and a lot of management around them. You will be able to choose from sites you feel are more legit than other. I do plan on doing more stores like Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

    If you still want the features of this app, you could either buy it now and check out what you like and provide feedback or wait until I roll out some updates with new sites.

    Thanks man.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  20. pistos's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    While I cannot gaurantee all of the sites are legitament, all of the sites I link to are relatively well-known for their accuracy and legitamacy.
    I concur. The sites listed in the app are decent deal sites, which try to do a decent job with listing legit retailers. No one can guarantee this stuff for the buyer, but I too have used many of these places without trouble. And, lots of the dealerts are from familiar retailers. For example, an item I had Dealert tracking for me the other day popped up and the place selling the item at a sweet price was Best Buy, obviously a place you could purchase from with relative confidence.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions