Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    It has nothing do with whining. The quality of apps that are available is a joke. I actually read the reviews and when they all say the app doesnt work like intended then why is it in the app store? Majority of apps listed have very low reviews.
    $1.99 and up for incomplete apps is disturbing.
    I think you should re-read your statement. $1.99 (or, say, a cup of coffee) for a piece of software that isn't all you thought it would be is "disturbing?" Good coffee, at $1.99, you will happily buy again. Bad coffee, at $1.99, you don't keep buying it. But do you feel disturbed that you had a bad cup of coffee? I think your pricing scale is distorted.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think you should re-read your statement. $1.99 (or, say, a cup of coffee) for a piece of software that isn't all you thought it would be is "disturbing?" Good coffee, at $1.99, you will happily buy again. Bad coffee, at $1.99, you don't keep buying it. But do you feel disturbed that you had a bad cup of coffee? I think your pricing scale is distorted.
    Maybe so, this is the first phone I ever had for paid apps. I'm not making a huge deal about it. Just was stating my opinion. Other people decided to blow up my comment up a bit.
    I'm not buying them if I don't like them. That wasn't my original point.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I find it funny that dkGoogleVoice costs $2.99 and according to the reviews works like crap, when you got GDialPro which is an awesome app is free.

When will they stop putting half *** apps in the app catalog that charge a crazy amount?
    I hope they never stop. To do stop, they would have to have someone that decides exactly what constitutes a half ### app. Then we end up with another Apple iPhone apps situation. I don't want someone deciding that for consumers. I want the program(s) out there, and the consumers to decide what's worth buying.
    Last edited by hparsons; 10/17/2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Ely, so far, i'm liking ActiveCard too; it's a very good start... But Mobile Shell 3.0 for windows mobile was able to take over the whole OS and make it a lot more pleasurable to use. I know WebOS is a completely different animal from WinMo, but why can't it be done here too?
    It can, but you won't find such an app in the Apps Catalog. At least not yet. Such an app completely breaks the WebOS "rules", and would be relegated to HomeBrew until Palm changes their SDK.

I expect we'll be seeing HomeBrew apps that do this though.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainevent3405 View Post
    Downloaded it. Now that I understand the concept....I wasted my $5 bucks. If it can't replace the home screen its useless to me. Even if it could I don't think I would use it.
    Icons are tiny, limited number of contacts you can use (5), App launcher has preset apps you have to use...as stated above (most you can do is alter the order in which they appear), calendar info has to be manually entered. Eh, I will just stick to my homepage.

Not being able to try these out sucks. Screenshots can only go so far.
    In their defense, they had a youtube video of how it worked on their website. (which was accessible by hitting 'developer homepage' from the app catalog)
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    How the hell do you expect it to do this? If it were a completely custom "rom" ala Android modding, maybe, but an app is not going to be allowed to take over the main functionality of the phone. You have unrealistic expectations of what the app catalog has to offer if you think that is even a remote possibility.

Been using the ActiveCard app more this morning, I like the news feed, and the calendar feature. Also like the twitter reader, though I'm hoping it will get upgraded into a full twitter client or something to that effect. This app has a lot of promise, it's most definitely a good start. The interface is very clean as well, it's put together very well.
    Why the hell can't whoever is selling the app be more descriptive in saying what it cant and cant do if there's no trial. I don't care if it's $5 or $1, it's MY MONEY and if I want to wipe my with it and flush it it's MY business!! I have a right to say what I like and what I DON'T like and what TO ME is crap and what isn't crap!! If the OS doesn't allow for homepage manipulation then that's fine, but TO ME Active Card sucks and I WASTED $5 I could have just wiped my *** with! Furthermore, like others have said, this app catalog is ! The homebrew stuff is better AND it's free. Sad fact is, most of the stuff their now charging for CAME from homebrew!

I love my phone and will NOT be switching to an other in the near future, but don't tell me I have unrealistic expectations of the app catalog. I've had WinMo phones, blackberry's and HTC's. Each had app catalogs that served a purpose and the things they charged for were things that could actually benefit the functionality of the phone unless it was games or such.

Palm needs to step the hell up. Period point blank!!
    Why the hell can't whoever is selling the app be more descriptive in saying what it cant and cant do if there's no trial. I don't care if it's $5 or $1, it's MY MONEY and if I want to wipe my with it and flush it it's MY business!! I have a right to say what I like and what I DON'T like and what TO ME is crap and what isn't crap!! If the OS doesn't allow for homepage manipulation then that's fine, but TO ME Active Card sucks and I WASTED $5 I could have just wiped my *** with! Furthermore, like others have said, this app catalog is ! The homebrew stuff is better AND it's free. Sad fact is, most of the stuff their now charging for CAME from homebrew!

I love my phone and will NOT be switching to an other in the near future, but don't tell me I have unrealistic expectations of the app catalog. I've had WinMo phones, blackberry's and HTC's. Each had app catalogs that served a purpose and the things they charged for were things that could actually benefit the functionality of the phone unless it was games or such.

We DO need apps that will give us functionality. This phone is like a BMW with roll-down windows and donuts for tires.
    Palm doesn't set the price. The app developers do. An app that starts off as HomeBrew and gets in the app catalog does it because the app developer chose that route; Palm had little to do with besides approving the app for the catalog. I hope they never use whether or not they think you, or anyone else, might like it as a criteria for approval. The consumers will decide whether or not it should be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Palm doesn't set the price. The app developers do. An app that starts off as HomeBrew and gets in the app catalog does it because the app developer chose that route; Palm had little to do with besides approving the app for the catalog. I hope they never use whether or not they think you, or anyone else, might like it as a criteria for approval. The consumers will decide whether or not it should be there.
    Point is this. If you have money to blow that's your business. There's another thread that was started here titled "Any app over $.99 should be with a trial" or something to that effect. I agree. Whenever I purchased apps from Handango or anywhere else, they would let you TRY the app first. I don't care WHO sets the prices and it doesn't mean a hill of beans to me how many crap apps they throw in the catalog. It could be littered with them for all I care. What I choose to spend my money for is up to me, and I love this phone so much that all I am asking for is a way to try the apps before purchasing them. Of course it's not up to me to decide what goes in and what doesn't so that's beside the point. If I'm developing an app to sell....especially one that cost $5 bucks, I will make sure people know what it is all about and then give them a way to try it out before purchasing it.

Fact is, users here are so starved for apps that we go for it. If we stopped purchasing them then what would happen? An app catalog shouldn't be just making apps just to say "the Pre has xxxxx amount of apps". That's the equivalent of the saying...."if you throw enough S*** against the wall some of it will stick". It's lame on Palm's behalf and I look forward to the day when REAL apps filter into our catalog.

Last I understood Palm approves which apps go in, don't go in and when it goes in. You're telling me they couldn't mandate a trial version of an app that's attached to a certain price tag? Sorry, I don't buy that.

Question....If you owned a Lexus dealership would you allow Kia owners to come and sell their cars on your lot? Without people even test driving them? Plain and simple the responsibility lies with Palm. For reference you dont have to look any further than Preware, webosquickinstall, filecoaster etc...INDEPENDENT developers who have other full time jobs, go to school etc, that just do this in their SPARE TIME that's out developing people PALM EMPLOYS TO DO THIS VERY THING!!

Need I go on?
    Last edited by mainevent3405; 10/17/2009 at 03:11 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123