Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've had my pre since launch and I have a few hardware problems with it. One of the ones that really bugs me is the "oreo" twisting of the two halves when the phone is closed. My phone doesn't close flush on the sides... so on the right side of the phone there's a gap and that sharp edge from the keyboard sticks out. It always irritates my palm when I hold the phone closed.

Anyways, I'm thinking about exchanging it with Palm under the 1 year warranty, but before I go through the hassle I just want to see if any new pre owners (or ones that recently did an exchange) still have that "oreo" twisting effect on their pre's. What's the status on this hardware defect on new/refurbished phones?
    It could be true, I just got my replacement Pre, it's very very solid, I can't believe it.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Same here, did an exchange using sprint's advance replacement online tool, it's even better then my original pre when it was new
    I'm getting my Pre in two weeks, do you guys think I'll have the Oreo? And if I try out my new phone while I'm in the store and it has a lot of twist would they give me another one?
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I got my Pre on launch day and mine is great. no problems, no oreo.

I just got 3 for my wife and parents and their's is much worse than mine, but not bad enough that i would take it back. I was shocked. I was expecting them to be rock solid.
    Just got my wife an 8/13 build - excellent build, tight as can be. Center button seems more solid as well.
    I replaced my girlfriend's Pre about a month ago because her volume rocker fell off (I had to fight sprint over this, but I won). Her original had no problems other than the volume rocker, but her new one has a MEGA oreo effect. Hers has an August 20th Warranty Exchange date. Mine doesn't have too much of an oreo effect and its build date is August 16th... who knows.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I just got my 3rd Pre (in 30 days) this week and compared to the first two this one is bullet proof. Its has a much tighter fit and pretty much no oreo. I'm not about to test its durability by dropping it on purpose or anything but overall its definitely more sturdy and better put together.
    The term Oreo is probably the worst term I have ever heard to describe something.It simply is not properly descriptive. An Oreo, once turned, breaks in two. Before it's turned, it doesn't wiggle at all. Whoever coined the term should be punished.

In any event, I've had my Pre since a little after launch day, and it barely moves at all.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
    I replaced my girlfriend's Pre about a month ago because her volume rocker fell off (I had to fight sprint over this, but I won). Her original had no problems other than the volume rocker, but her new one has a MEGA oreo effect. Hers has an August 20th Warranty Exchange date. Mine doesn't have too much of an oreo effect and its build date is August 16th... who knows.
    Take it back!! My first replacement had TERRIBLE oreo, so bad that I could feel the top half moving while I was just holding it in my hand. I could actually see the circuitry inside the phone through the gap!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The build on this phone was disappointing to me when I took it out of the box. This was my firt reaction. Its a launch day Pre and it has oreo, a crack in the lower corner, the sleep/power button is stuck in. I baby the phone too which really makes me wonder what I thought from day one....theres no way this phone is gonna last me 2 years.
  12. PGR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I've been researching the Pre in anticipation of getting one when I qualify for the upgrade pricing in November. During that research I've spoken with no less than 14 people who have made the same move during the last month or so and I think I see a pattern:

It seems like everyone who paid the standard price and got their phone from a Sprint store or through the official Sprint website got a keeper the first time, but the people who got the budget deals from Best Buy weren't always so lucky. This leads me to believe that Best Buy may have made a massive purchase of the earliest production runs and are still selling that inventory while the Sprint stores are selling newer stock.

I need to stress that this is purely a guess based on my discussion with only 14 new Pre owners, but I can't help but think I'm on to something. That said, I still haven't made up my mind who I'll be buying my new Pre from.

Pete
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Handspring Visor > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Pro > Pre (in November) ... Evolution, or more money than sense?
    I had to go through so many before I found one that was good enough for me. It's still not 100% tight, but it's the best I can do and I'm not going through any return nonsense anymore.
    I went through 2 refurbs to get one without the oreo. Not sure about the new models
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Build date on my phone was in August, it only has a very slight wiggle and that's at least partly my fault from when I was removing a case from the top part of the phone.
    I ordered the Pre a week ago from sprint through the phone. with in that time I am on my 4th one. First one kept freezing so bad second one full of dead pixels and had this bubble effect (sprint says thats inpossiable) third one makes this weird popping noise when opened and it wont allow me to get to the pre's main screens. All mine are sent to me by sprint them self all yellow sleved. I love the pre but this is bull crap.
    My third one has a slight oreo, but I don't think it's enough to replace it
    I just got my phone a week ago from a sprint store. Has a slight wobble, but other than that it's been solid in every other aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    The term Oreo is probably the worst term I have ever heard to describe something.It simply is not properly descriptive. An Oreo, once turned, breaks in two. Before it's turned, it doesn't wiggle at all. Whoever coined the term should be punished.

In any event, I've had my Pre since a little after launch day, and it barely moves at all.
    But the words "screen twist" are SO hard to type!

I purchased mine mid-Sept. It has a small amount of twist, but I am always paranoid that one of these days it is going to twist around sideways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmonkey View Post
    I've been researching the Pre in anticipation of getting one when I qualify for the upgrade pricing in November. During that research I've spoken with no less than 14 people who have made the same move during the last month or so and I think I see a pattern:

It seems like everyone who paid the standard price and got their phone from a Sprint store or through the official Sprint website got a keeper the first time, but the people who got the budget deals from Best Buy weren't always so lucky. This leads me to believe that Best Buy may have made a massive purchase of the earliest production runs and are still selling that inventory while the Sprint stores are selling newer stock.

I need to stress that this is purely a guess based on my discussion with only 14 new Pre owners, but I can't help but think I'm on to something. That said, I still haven't made up my mind who I'll be buying my new Pre from.

Pete
    I think you're on to something, alright! I know for a fact that BestBuy and RadioShack sell B-stock items. The "new" Centro had been out for about a year, I went to RadioShack since the phone was a tad cheaper and they didn't have rebates, and then I walked out the door with the "old" Centro". RS & BB will have B-stock Pres for a while, probly. Amazon, I'm not sure of. But I'm not taking the chance, and I'm going directly thru Sprint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast