Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    Amaaazzzingly, this is what an employee at a "shack" that sells the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $among$ $many$ $other$ $cell$ $phones$, $asked$ $me$ ($of$ $all$ $people$) $just$ $a$ $few$ $minutes$ $ago$ $while$ $I$ $was$ $browsing$ $that$ $section$ $when$ $he$ $saw$ $mine$. $This$ $is$ $bad$. $Really$ $bad$.
    I wish i coulda sent "video" proof, by asking him to please repeat that... but we all know how the video situation is here on this phone.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 10/16/2009 at 05:11 PM.
  2. #2  
    hello....NT 4.0

    But ya, that's horrific and typical at the same time. I have run into incompetence like that in Sprint Stores. You'd think people doing this for a living would take an interest in what they are doing.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/16/2009 at 05:01 PM.
  3. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #3  
    Linux. Duh!
  4. #4  
    Well, I had a Sprint Tech support lady argue with me over what version of WebOS the Pre ran. I told her I had 1.2.1 installed and she said impossible, because 1.2 was the latest. I told her 1.2.1 was the latest and she ended up researching to find I was right. lol. It's sad that some people are not informed... So at the shack store, I could totally see how this would happen. People don't take the required time to learn what the phones have on them, at least in a general since.
  5. #5  
    It's not incompetence. 90% (my number) of technology users don't care/know/need to know how something works. This guy was curious. I'd love to see a percentage of Pre owners who even know what WebOS is, let alone its foundation.

    The majority of the world is NOT technologically saavy.
  6. #6  
    Windows 3.1.


    rookies
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    It's not incompetence. 90% (my number) of technology users don't care/know/need to know how something works. This guy was curious. I'd love to see a percentage of Pre owners who even know what WebOS is, let alone its foundation.

    The majority of the world is NOT technologically saavy.
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

    Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?
  8. #8  
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

    Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?
  9. #9  
    I don't know about all of you, but mine runs the Unisys OS 2200 operating system.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
  10. #10  
    It was my understanding that 1.2.1 should have upgraded that to something a bit more this century....

    Quote Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
    I don't know about all of you, but mine runs the Unisys OS 2200 operating system.
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

    Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?

    You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

    Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?
    No, but you're not buying a computer. You're buying a cell phone. For all intents and purposes, WebOS is what the phone runs on. It matters not that the underlying framework is linux-based.

    When you're buying a computer, the OS has no underlying framework like this does.

    They're two completely different things. Broaden that horizon a little...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    No, but you're not buying a computer. You're buying a cell phone. For all intents and purposes, WebOS is what the phone runs on. It matters not that the underlying framework is linux-based.

    When you're buying a computer, the OS has no underlying framework like this does.

    They're two completely different things. Broaden that horizon a little...
    My horizons are plenty broad. A smart phone IS a computer. That argument may work if we were talking about an LG Chocolate or something else along those lines.

    It matters not that that the underlying framework is linux-based???? Of course it does.

    When buying a computer, the OS has no underlying framework? Really? So what about all the netbook operating systems with linux framework? I guess they don't classify as computers in your mind?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    My horizons are plenty broad. A smart phone IS a computer. That argument may work if we were talking about an LG Chocolate or something else along those lines.

    It matters not that that the underlying framework is linux-based???? Of course it does.

    When buying a computer, the OS has no underlying framework? Really? So what about all the netbook operating systems with linux framework? I guess they don't classify as computers in your mind?
    This is my last reply... you know what they say about arguing online...

    Netbook operating systems? Like what? Any netbook I've seen either runs Windows or Linux, not something on top of either of those...

    And the "a smart phone IS a computer" argumnet is absurd. So's a watch. So's a video game console; so's anything w/ a freaking processor by that logic...

    OK, I'm done. Have a lovely day.
  15. #15  
    Ha! That's another reason I'll never step into a Radio/The Shack. You should be asking him that question!
  16. #16  
    Now since Android and WebOS are both Linux based operating systems, I would love to see Android apps come to the Pre (as well as Pre to Android). I suppose the only difficulty in this would be that the Android apps wouldn't have the feel of the WebOS by default until a gui was created on top of them.
    If I help you out, why not "Thank" me? Or you can visit my site at http://outklaw.com
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post

    And the "a smart phone IS a computer" argumnet is absurd. So's a watch. So's a video game console; so's anything w/ a freaking processor by that logic...
    That's the first correct thing you've said!

    Yes, your phone, your PS3, even a calculator, all computers. I think that may be in the first 25 pages of any textbook in a introduction to computers class. Sorry if you find that "absurd".

    Also, Ubuntu (the common netbook linux) is a linux VARIATION. Netbooks don't run just "linux". There is a little more to it than that.

    Ubuntu is a community developed, Linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.


    That is directly from the Ubuntu site.

    Sorry to frustrate you my friend. What you are stating just simply isn't right.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kasl33 View Post
    Now since Android and WebOS are both Linux based operating systems, I would love to see Android apps come to the Pre (as well as Pre to Android). I suppose the only difficulty in this would be that the Android apps wouldn't have the feel of the WebOS by default until a gui was created on top of them.
    Unforunately that's not how it works. While both platforms use the Linux kernel, their programming interfaces are completely different. Android apps are developed in Java, whereas webOS apps are essentially websites that are specially designed to run on webOS, developed in HTML, Javascript*, CSS, JSON, etc.

    * Java and Javascript are completely different. The only thing they share is a similar syntax and name.
  19. #19  
    Mine's running TOPS-20
    Long Live Palm
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

    Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?
    Sorry, I disagree on this one. This is Radio Shack. They don't have device experts, they don't even have departments. Expecting someone to intimately know the Pre wouldn't be far removed from expecting them to know the OS of an advanced universal remote control (which also has a base operating system).

    You would only get someone knowledgable about the Pre if you happened to get a salesman that was personally intereste in it. But if you did, he/she probably wouldn't intimately know the BlackBerry...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions