Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?
    If it was cheap enough..
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I disagree on this one. This is Radio Shack. They don't have device experts, they don't even have departments. Expecting someone to intimately know the Pre wouldn't be far removed from expecting them to know the OS of an advanced universal remote control (which also has a base operating system).

You would only get someone knowledgable about the Pre if you happened to get a salesman that was personally intereste in it. But if you did, he/she probably wouldn't intimately know the BlackBerry...
    Now, I can only speak for MY Shack, but the five of us are pretty good. I've either owned or messed around with [for fun] a WinMo phone, A Blackberry, an iPhone and a Pre. I can say the same for three of my other coworkers.

So there is hope.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Be easy on the poor salesman. That guy is handling tons of stuff in there. From GPS to digicams to SD cards to games software. That aint a pure cell phone store.
    Maybe MOST of the world isn't, but the person selling you the device should be. It absolutely IS incompetence.

Would you buy a computer from someone that couldn't tell you what OS it was running?
    Thanked for common sense
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    iphone and my
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    sry my pre was freakingout! Iphone and palm pre have their browers based on the same web kit but aren't the same. Linux is the base os that may have a gui like kde or gnome, there are different "branded names" o rlinus each made to do a specific thing they are all based off of a linux kernal they all share. Windows used to be like this it used to be just a gui sitting on dos!
    about "the shack" or most electronic stores how many of you work there? Why not? Thwy don't pay enough? I am ok with their lack of informayion as long as they don't try to argue with me. I had a lady try to tell me about the pre & sprint new any mobile the day it came out (this is @ the shack) I said oh yeah I know I have heard rumors for a few days! & she goed oh the pre is $150 now & I say finly now of they would jusy drop ot to 99. She is all surprised I m trying to tell her this stuff is out on the www days & weeks in advance of press release! She is just totaly shocked that amazon & walmart have it for under 100 aLso. Anyways I bought my pre @best buy they seemed to be more informed but they also ha e departments they can specialize in! Sorry aboit ttypos I am doing this on my pre!
    @MGoerke---the Walmart pre is only 80 for brand new customers. People out of contract are not considered 'new', they are 'upgraders'. Thus, they don't get the pre for 80.

Of course, not every person in every company is completely informed. Some don't care. The Idiots at my Best Buy have no idea what they're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Be easy on the poor salesman. That guy is handling tons of stuff in there. From GPS to digicams to SD cards to games software. That aint a pure cell phone store.
    Exactly. The simple truth is that most places don't bother to give their sales people any product training whatsoever. That person has whatever knowledge they brought with them and any research that they decide to do on their own time, and that's pretty much it.

I'm a computer guy through and through. Can talk about them all day, spit out enough information on them to give most people a migraine. But when I was working retail sales and it came to printers, phones, PDAs, GPS, etc... it was pretty much read the information card on the shelf and BS your way through. That's about all you can do in a job like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I disagree on this one. This is Radio Shack. They don't have device experts, they don't even have departments. Expecting someone to intimately know the Pre wouldn't be far removed from expecting them to know the OS of an advanced universal remote control (which also has a base operating system).

You would only get someone knowledgable about the Pre if you happened to get a salesman that was personally intereste in it. But if you did, he/she probably wouldn't intimately know the BlackBerry...
    What we can expect and what we actually get out of a Radio Shack employee isn't the issue. My reply was in direct response to someone stating that a Radio Shack employee that doesn't know about the phone he is selling, doesn't make that employee incompetent. Let me refer to dictionary.com

in⋅com⋅pe⋅tence

  /ɪnˈkɒmpɪtəns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation  /ɪnˈkɒmpɪtəns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-kom-pi-tuhns]

1. the quality or condition of being incompetent; lack of ability.

By definition, someone that sells phones on a daily basis and can't tell you about the operating system (which is VERY important, especially to someone buying a phone for business purposes) is incompetent. maybe the incompetence stems from poor training, maybe it is from not having interest in the product. regardless, it still exists.

You know what the great thing about incompetence is? It can totally be overcome by LEARNING about something.
    Last edited by philburkhardt; 10/17/2009 at 11:10 AM.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    Now, I can only speak for MY Shack, but the five of us are pretty good. I've either owned or messed around with [for fun] a WinMo phone, A Blackberry, an iPhone and a Pre. I can say the same for three of my other coworkers.

So there is hope.
    Hmm.. All my life, and i thought 3 + 1 was 4.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

You know what the great thing about incompetence is? It can totally be overcome by LEARNING about something.
    Why would you want to bother for minimum wage?

Who would even ask beyond weridos like us - and we already know the answer...
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post

So there is hope.
    I hope you know, that wasn't a blast against Radio Shack employees. I think consumer's expectations, overall, are way out of line.

"Sir, I want you to know more about this device, and by 'this', I mean every device in the store, than anyone else in the world, including the people that made it. By the way, did you know that you are $0.10 more expensive than the big box discount store that was selling it on sale last month, you really need to get your prices in line!!"
    What we can expect and what we actually get out of a Radio Shack employee isn't the issue. My reply was in direct response to someone stating that a Radio Shack employee that doesn't know about the phone he is selling, doesn't make that employee incompetent. Let me refer to dictionary.com

in⋅com⋅pe⋅tence

  /ɪnˈkɒmpɪtəns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation  /ɪnˈkɒmpɪtəns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-kom-pi-tuhns]

By definition, someone that sells phones on a daily basis and can't tell you about the operating system (which is VERY important, especially to someone buying a phone for business purposes) is incompetent. maybe the incompetence stems from poor training, maybe it is from not having interest in the product. regardless, it still exists.

Just to be clear, I understood your point completely. I just disagreed with it. There are too many devices in a Radio Shack for an employee to be that knowledgable about each one. I susect the vast majority of purchasers of a Palm Pre don't care what the OS is called, or that it runs on a Linux kernal. They probably do care about what carrier it runs on, what plans are required, how long the contract runs, etc. They might care about what email and PIM systems it will sync what, and what apps are available. I would agree if the salesman had no clue about those things, he's probably incompetent.
    Bottom line.....store selling product should no more about it than I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Dude, it's Radio Shack. What did you expect.

OK, sorry, that was totally uncalled for; but it was just too easy a target to pass up. Sorry to the RS employees, but it was just a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    bottom line.....store selling product should no more about it than i do.
    +1,000,000
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    +1,000,000
    Well if they sell it no more, how would you buy it?

Being more serious, it's a ridiculous suggestion - by that logic, the salesman should know more than camera enthusiasts about every brand of camera, he should know about radios than radio enthusiasts, he should know more about TVs than TV enthusiasts - how would you planning to keep this guy for the peanuts you are paying him once he knows all this stuff?

The bottom line is this - people want great and expert customer service, but they simply will not pay for it.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/17/2009 at 12:32 PM.

in⋅com⋅pe⋅tence

Wow, it's kinda obvious that you're looking for an argument. It seems as though you think that the people at Radio Shack should all have a degree from "Smartphone University". Well my friend, thats simply not the case, most business people know what type of phone they want and need prior to buying a smartphone in the first place. I would expect workers at an actual Sprint store to know something about the phones they sell because... maybe, just maybe... Thats what they specialize in! Best Buy has a cell phone specific store, so again... That's what they specialize in! Salesmen at the Shack have several thousand items to sell, so your going to get what you pay for. If you buy from Amazon or Walmart, same deal. The average person knows what phone they're going to buy prior to walking in any door.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    If I'm going to spend the extra time and extra money to buy a product in a brick and mortar store then I expect better service compared to the on-line option. If being a salesperson is what these people do for a living, spending 8 hours a day at it, then they should have a good idea about what they are talking about. In fact they should have a better understanding about the product then me.

If not, what is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well if they sell it no more, how would you buy it?

Being more serious, it's a ridiculous suggestion - by that logic, the salesman should know more than camera enthusiasts about every brand of camera, he should know about radios than radio enthusiasts, he should know more about TVs than TV enthusiasts - how would you planning to keep this guy for the peanuts you are paying him once he knows all this stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    The other one IS incompetent. I can add, thanks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast