1.    #1  
    I'm a new Palm Pre owner and if that's fine with you I'll keep this thread to ask Treo 650 pre-owners some tips on how to have the smoothest passage, my questions will possibly (and probably) increase as I use it , that's if I don't find anything with the search option of course. Please bear with me.

My first question is: how do you transfer the contacts from the Treo 650 to the Pre? I want ALL the data I presently have, including emails, addresses, notes, etc... Can it be done? Just consider my Treo 650 doesn't sync anymore with my PC so that's an option I don't have. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I'm a new Palm Pre owner and if that's fine with you I'll keep this thread to ask Treo 650 pre-owners some tips on how to have the smoothest passage, my questions will possibly (and probably) increase as I use it , that's if I don't find anything with the search option of course. Please bear with me.

My first question is: how do you transfer the contacts from the Treo 650 to the Pre? I want ALL the data I presently have, including emails, addresses, notes, etc... Can it be done? Just consider my Treo 650 doesn't sync anymore with my PC so that's an option I don't have. Thanks!
    I had the Treo 655P and Sprint transfered all of my contacts to the pre when I bought it. The emails should be web based so they shouldn't go anywhere, you just need to set the pre to sync with your email account. I don't think you can transfer the notes but I could be wrong.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post

Hi,

I went straight from a Palm Unlocked Treo 650 to Pre, and just followed the instructions included (I think the instructions are in the box, but at the very least, they are on the website). DO NOT allow the Sprint representative to do it, as there were reports of duplication of contacts and incorrect transfer of full data.

Anyhow, all of my contacts, memos, tasks, and calender (including yearly birthdays) were transferred without a hitch.

After that, you should be good to go. You'll never look back. Trust me, you'll miss the keyboard of the 650 and some of the little stuff, but you won't be looking back (except to wonder how you carried the brick around so long!).
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    his issue is he can't sync the treo 650 to computer. Palms way is to sync your old phone 1 last time download their software plug in your pre & xfer it! It works great I used it but if you can't sync your 650 or don't have a computer you are SOL prolly have to manualy enter it! Unless you can export off of your 650 onto a sim or outlook acct maybe use getgood to xfer to google but that costs $. If you don't have access to comouter then nothing can really be done as far as I know!
    Sync your contacts/calendar into Outlook, sync outlook contacts to a Google account, sync the google account to the Pre.

At least that's how I did it before Palm came out with their tool. I would go that route unless you've already got everything in Outlook.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    You'll never look back. Trust me, you'll miss the keyboard of the 650 and some of the little stuff, but you won't be looking back (except to wonder how you carried the brick around so long!).
    Ahaha, I'll definitely miss the perfect keyboard of my Treo650, Pixi would've been natural replacement but with no wi-fi no way...

Yep, my problem is that, although I do have a PC, my Treo doesn't sync anymore, well it never did really... they told me it was probably the cable but never got round to changing it cos I never cared for synchronizing it anyway, now that I may have to manually enter 200+ entries I wish I had
    I'll try the outlook option and let you know, thanks everybody
    Did you try to hotsync your treo 650 when you first got it? If you waited a while, then the port on the bottom may have gotten dirty. IF thats the case, then try licking the connector cable on the end that connects to the phone. Licking the connector while its plugged into the computer, probably not a good idea. I know because i did it, and it gives an interesting little tickle to the tongue like licking a 9volt battery. lol.

Its definitely cheaper to try the above first, but you could also need a new cable.
  8.    #8  
    D^mn, come on, there must be a way to recover contacts from my useless Treo, surely?
    I tried licking the cable, the PC and the mouse too! No use!

I used Resco Backup on my Treo and I see the contacts file in the SD memory card, can't I recover data from that?

Verging on desperation
    If you have a Bluetooth dongle for your PC you can get the 650 to HotSync to it that way (there's all sorts of threads on the web on setting that up) and then transfer contacts into Google or run the Palm tool, etc. Also, better than licking the cable is to use a q-tip or soft bristle brush with some rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts on the bottom of your 650. Restores the connection probably 90%+ of the time...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    a service and repair tech can transfer your contacts using a cellbright divice from your treo to your pre. But you can not get contacts out of a pre with cellbright unless they were put in there by a cellbright divice. odd i know but it seems that the way the contacts are linked in a pre does not allow the cellbright to read the pre contacts. There sould be no problem getting them out of your treo and into the pre though.
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    One other thought is that if it's a GSM, then just hand the Sprint representative your SIM card, and all the data can be transferred off that.

If it's just a CABLE issue, and not a port on the phone issue, then the Sprint representative should be able to transfer your contacts. The other idea is the Bluetooth dongle.

Lastly, I don't know, but there might be a way to use the IR port for data transfer? I've never looked into it, just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    One other thought is that if it's a GSM, then just hand the Sprint representative your SIM card, and all the data can be transferred off that.

If it's just a CABLE issue, and not a port on the phone issue, then the Sprint representative should be able to transfer your contacts. The other idea is the Bluetooth dongle.

Lastly, I don't know, but there might be a way to use the IR port for data transfer? I've never looked into it, just a thought.
    when transering data from your treo the rep will use the IR port to transfer to the cellbright. Thats what it is used for and what the cellbright calls for so if its your cable or port then your still good cuz we use the IR port anyways.
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    If you're syncing your Treo with exchange or google, you can pretty easily get your contacts on to the Pre by simply adding your account. If you aren't, you can get a free exchange service (I believe Mail2web still offers a free trial of exchange) and sync whatever you can to that, then add the account to your Pre.