1.    #1  
    I've read many excited posts about people getting their Google Voice accounts. I was totally stoked when I got mine.

I only wish I would have thought of the limitations before I gave my Google number out many people. The two main reasons: Sprint's Unlimited Mobile to Mobile and MMS.

Calls from your Google number and to your Google number do not qualify as (Sprint's) Unlimited Mobile to Mobile minutes. Your Google number is recognized as a land line and will use your anytime minutes as such. Also, while you can text with your Google number, it (currently) does not send or receive MMS.

It's something to think about if you are considering widely distributing your new Google number.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I've had my number since GrandCentral days. I do miss MMS at times. My incoming calls do use anymobile minutes. I'm not sure why there is a difference for you. So, really, I only get charged for outgoing calls.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at my call log again and I'm not sure. I wish they put a billing code in the log so it would be easy to tell.
    Last edited by Sheuba; 10/16/2009 at 12:07 PM.
    Right - inbound calls come tagged with the true CallerID of the caller, NOT the Google Voice 406 number, so they should count as mobile under AnyMobile AnyTime (assuming, of course, the caller is calling from a mobile phone). So only outbound calls to 406 numbers or your own GV number should deduct minutes.

Good points, though, OP. I myself have been using email for most picture messaging since I got my first BB in 2004, so I really don't care all that much, but I can see how it would be annoying for some people. I predict Google will implement some kind of PictureMail-like workaround in the future, involving sending you an SMS with a link when you receive an MMS from someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Calls from your Google number and to your Google number do not qualify as (Sprint's) Unlimited Mobile to Mobile minutes. Your Google number is recognized as a land line and will use your anytime minutes as such.
    This sounds reasonable being as the Google service does not originate from a mobile phone.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    That said, Sprint is capable of adding up to 3 land line numbers to your account that will not be charged minutes. Could be more but I was only offered 3. So basically, you can add your google voice number and it will not count against your minutes.
    i can call sprint and add my google voice number (as a landline) for free calling?? never heard of that before
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    That said, Sprint is capable of adding up to 3 land line numbers to your account that will not be charged minutes. Could be more but I was only offered 3. So basically, you can add your google voice number and it will not count against your minutes.
    Is that Pick 3 service free? Or is there an extra charge?
    I tried to add my Google number through Sprint and they told me that they do not offer that type of service.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abejenaru73 View Post
    i can call sprint and add my google voice number (as a landline) for free calling?? never heard of that before
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Is that Pick 3 service free? Or is there an extra charge?
    Yes, however, it's not an option you generally just call and have added. The only time i was offered this was because I had a gripe and since CS and Retentions have been dwiddled down to almost useless because they no longer have the power to do many things they used to, it was the only real thing they could do to make me happy. They can still give credits but it must be on approval over a certain amount. Very very limited.

So yes it's free but no it's not advertised. It's used as a tool to offset a ****ed off customer.

Like all things with Sprint, don't expect any consistancy between reps. Trust me, it is a possible service as I was offered it and so have many others but only as a bribe from CS/Retentions to make you happy. Don't expect every CS rep to offer the service or even know about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Right - inbound calls come tagged with the true CallerID of the caller, NOT the Google Voice 406 number, so they should count as mobile under AnyMobile AnyTime (assuming, of course, the caller is calling from a mobile phone). So only outbound calls to 406 numbers or your own GV number should deduct minutes.
    While I am not 100% sure, I believe this is not true. I think it passes the caller ID but the number is still seen as a land line by Sprint. I look forward to the definitive answer on this.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I just added the Sprint "Pick 3" to both of our lines, for this very purpose. It took me half a dozen calls and several hours, until I found someone in retentions who was both capable of and willing to add it. Most of the Sprint reps (even in retentions) denied the feature even existed...but it most certainly does.

As a brand new Sprint customer, the best deal they'd cut me is adding this Pick 3 feature for $5/month. More-tenured Sprint users often can get it added at no charge.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    I've read many excited posts about people getting their Google Voice accounts. I was totally stoked when I got mine.

I only wish I would have thought of the limitations before I gave my Google number out many people. The two main reasons: Sprint's Unlimited Mobile to Mobile and MMS.

Calls from your Google number and to your Google number do not qualify as (Sprint's) Unlimited Mobile to Mobile minutes. Your Google number is recognized as a land line and will use your anytime minutes as such. Also, while you can text with your Google number, it (currently) does not send or receive MMS.

It's something to think about if you are considering widely distributing your new Google number.
    I was wondering about this. Thanks for confirming!