Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by garyau View Post
    I does not have the three 2G card to test ...

just find the smartone vondfone card can be used ...

I also cannot change the QWERTZ layout .... I have ask rwhitby about this ...
    Okay I guess I will have to try it out once I receive my pre! Hows the keyboard working for you? Are you using your phone in Hong Kong?
    sure ..... I use it in hong kong ... I just test the way with suggestion by rwhitby

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...d-mapping.html

but fail ...
    Okay - an update.

Ventured out earlier and when I looked at the Palm it was receiving a 3G signal (symbol was showing) and the "R" (roaming) symbol was also showing. Additionally, the carrier name changed from 'Telstra' to 3Telstra'. What the? I tried browsing but it was painfully slow. Not sure what is going on. Now that I am back at home it has dropped back to 'E' and 'Telstra'. My area has strong coverage for the NextG service as my iPhone never missed a beat.

Also, when I set the 'Network Type' to 3G only instead of automatic, naturally the phone moves to 'No Service-SOS Only'!!!

Would anyone have any clues?? Is it a 2100 V 850 thing happening?? Rod??

Thanks
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitetower View Post
    Okay - an update.

Ventured out earlier and when I looked at the Palm it was receiving a 3G signal (symbol was showing) and the "R" (roaming) symbol was also showing. Additionally, the carrier name changed from 'Telstra' to 3Telstra'. What the? I tried browsing but it was painfully slow. Not sure what is going on. Now that I am back at home it has dropped back to 'E' and 'Telstra'. My area has strong coverage for the NextG service as my iPhone never missed a beat.

Also, when I set the 'Network Type' to 3G only instead of automatic, naturally the phone moves to 'No Service-SOS Only'!!!

Would anyone have any clues?? Is it a 2100 V 850 thing happening?? Rod??

Thanks

Following your progress with great interest Whitetower...hope you can get the speed thing solved...

How are you finding it otherwise? Is it living up to expectations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    Following your progress with great interest Whitetower...hope you can get the speed thing solved...

How are you finding it otherwise? Is it living up to expectations?
    Taking a bit of getting used after coming off the iPhone. For me the biggest challenge is getting used to using the physical keyboard. Not so much pressing the keys but the feel of it in my hand when the keyboard is open.

Build quality is ok. The back case is a bit squeeky which is a bit annoying but that can be sorted. Cosmetically I love the look of the phone. Nice rounded curves and a great feel

Software wise - still experimenting but so far so good. Been spending most of my time trying to work out the 3G issue and editing Db's and such.

Compared to the iPhone it's a bit laggy - as in pages don't load as quick but can live with that. Multitasking is great and I really like the physical action of swiping pages off the screen

Camera in my view kicks iPhone's a**!! Clear and colour much better.

Will post more as I get to play with it more
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Taking a bit of getting used after coming off the iPhone. For me the biggest challenge is getting used to using the physical keyboard. Not so much pressing the keys but the feel of it in my hand when the keyboard is open.

Build quality is ok. The back case is a bit squeeky which is a bit annoying but that can be sorted. Cosmetically I love the look of the phone. Nice rounded curves and a great feel

Software wise - still experimenting but so far so good. Been spending most of my time trying to work out the 3G issue and editing Db's and such.

Compared to the iPhone it's a bit laggy - as in pages don't load as quick but can live with that. Multitasking is great and I really like the physical action of swiping pages off the screen

Camera in my view kicks iPhone's a**!! Clear and colour much better.

Will post more as I get to play with it more
    Thanks mate...am really interested in your comments on it versus the iPhone too...when I realised Palm were taking an age to bring it out here I was wondering whether I should just join the masses with iPhone mania...

anyway hope you can get that 3G working ok...looks like the last big sticking point..all the best with it...
    hi, dakis,please add the T-mobile UK to the list, I can use T-mobile uk sim to connect 3G on GERMANY palm pre. I can active the palm pre.Voice ,data , sms work perfectly.
    I can confirm what Desktopman says here:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2001098

about Telenor. I did modify the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 and included "telenor" where it lacked. I now have a fully working Palm Pre, with voice, 3g data, sms, and sms with attachments, eg MMS (or is it just TXT with attachement), with a Norwegian telenor sim.

Also, after I did this, my Pre is actually much faster, much more responsive. My hypoteses is that the Pe with a simcard from a carrier which is not supported (fully) in the database, in some way is trying all the time to get data connection, and this slows it down.

Regards,
    Anders H.
    Last edited by pseudofilosofen; 10/31/2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Linking to post I am refering to
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    Now that we know the O2 (Germany) Pre does indeed work on some international networks, I thought I'd start a thread where we can collect some info on that.
    Someone posted a list over at infocenter. However, I doubt it's for real: List of carriers contained within CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 - Palm Pre Swisscom's on there and that provider definitely isn't supported at the moment (tested it myself).

Important info: while the list was / is being compiled to the best of my knowledge, I can't personally verify all the entries. So they're without any guarantee for completeness or correctness. Also: the list is only valid for O2 (Germany) Pres. Reportedly, devices sold in Ireland and the UK behave differently.

Austria

Provider: 3
    Status: Partly supported (activation, data + voice) (apparently 3G only, unconfirmed. Update: others say only EDGE works???)

Provider: Orange Austria (thanks Flunsh!)

Provider: T-Mobile Austria

Denmark

Provider: 3
    Status: unsupported (voice only, no activation) (thanks Trekkie + pattersson)

Provider: TDC
    Status: supported (voice, data + activation) (MMS unconfirmed)

Dubai

Provider: Etisalat
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (thanks freakout!)

Italy:

Provider: 3 Italia
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (MMS unknown) (thanks akitayo)

Provider: Tim
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (thanks wolfgart!)

Provider: Vodafone Italy (tested with a business SIM card) (thanks chrispazz!)
    Status: Fully Supported (activation, data + voice, mms) APN web.omnitel.it

Provider: Wind

The Netherlands

Provider: KPN

Provider: T-Mobile

Norway

Provider: Netcom

Provider: Onecall
    Status: Unsupported (data if turn on roaming + voice - no activation or mms)

Telenor: unsupported

Sweden:

Provider: Telia Sweden (thanks Andreas!)
    Status: Supported (activation, data, voice, SMS) MMS not supported

Provider: Telenor Sweden (thanks Andreas!)

Switzerland:

Provider: Orange

Provider: Sunrise
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice - MMS not supported)

Provider: Swisscom

UK:

Provider: Vodafone
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (MMS unconfirmed) (thanks dr3wster!)

Ukraine:

Provider: MTS Ukraine (UMC) (thanks dubiki!)

Provider: KyivStar:
    Satus: Unsupported (no activation, voice only)
    Lithuania:
    Omnitel - no activation, nothing
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    added data for several new networks today, thanks guys! If I forgot anything, please let me know.

Also: has anyone from Australia received his or her O2 Germany Pre? Would love to hear about your findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    added data for several new networks today, thanks guys! If I forgot anything, please let me know.

Also: has anyone from Australia received his or her O2 Germany Pre? Would love to hear about your findings.
    Hi dakis - Yep - Can confirm that in Australia using the Telstra Network:

Voice, MMS, and data all good. Activation work out of the box.

In relation to data - Previously on the iPhone it would pick 3G however it seems that the Pre cannot and it connects on Edge. Going to a suburb about 7 kms from here and it 'Roams' on 3G!!
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Hi dakis - Yep - Can confirm that in Australia using the Telstra Network:

Voice, MMS, and data all good. Activation work out of the box.
    Thanks, I've updated the list accordingly!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    dakis, got an update for Sweden and the provider/operator Telia....

Provider: Telia Sweden (thanks Andreas!)
    Status: Supported (activation 2G only, 2G data or 3G with roaming, voice, SMS) MMS not supported

Turns out the database lacks settings for 3G so activation only works in 2G coverage. Same with data , it works fine in 2G but in the 3G only with data roaming switched on.
    Bit strange that Swedens largerst operator is missing the the 3G setting totally, there is not even a setting for it in the database and the MMS-settings is incorrect so the only thing that is proper is GPRS-settings.

I hope Palm add the feature to change this in preferences with their next patch or I will have to change provider.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Hi,

I would like to purchase an unlocked irish pre for use with T-mobile here in the netherlands but i'm in doubt about what procedure to follow.

1. Buy irish pre and have it activated by using the pay as u go sim card(by family member).
    2. Buy irish pre and have it shipped to me immediately.

I read on : 'A few questions about the German Palm Pre ' thread that some guys are doing stuff in the DB to get the pre working on T-mobile NL.

What do you guys recommend, immediate shipping or activation first?
    And wouldn't activiation in ireland mean that my pre will only function there?

Thanks

Edit: My apologies, i meant unlocked irish pre by means of the rebel sim
    Quote Originally Posted by MCube View Post
    I got my German Palm Pre from Expansys Hong Kong 2 days ago.

I am in Hong Kong and I am using 3HK network and I have no problem.

I just put in the sim card and it detcted 3HK and also set the phone to 3G mode by itself. I didn't put any settings.

I can surf the net, download from app catalog and watch youtube videos no problem.

From another thread
    In Sydney Australia.

Just took delivery of a German unlocked pre, ordered from expansys. Using my optus SIM activated no problem, 3g signal is showing up and browsed the net no problem (just opened the palm web site). Will need more time to get fully setup to check calling, mms etc and will do so after work but it looks promising so far.

Will report back when I have completed the other tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglemaxx View Post
    Hi,

I would like to purchase an unlocked irish pre for use with T-mobile here in the netherlands but i'm in doubt about what procedure to follow.

1. Buy irish pre and have it activated by using the pay as u go sim card(by family member).
    2. Buy irish pre and have it shipped to me immediately.

I read on : 'A few questions about the German Palm Pre ' thread that some guys are doing stuff in the DB to get the pre working on T-mobile NL.

What do you guys recommend, immediate shipping or activation first?
    And wouldn't activiation in ireland mean that my pre will only function there?

Thanks

Edit: My apologies, i meant unlocked irish pre by means of the rebel sim

If you are using the Rebel SIM I suggest you activate it before shipping. Once activated you should be able to use it fine in NL... that's assuming of course the settings in the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 are up to date for t-mobile NL

Gx
    Belgium
    Provider: Base
    Status: Supported (activation, data + voice) (I don't use MMS)
    Ok, on Optus Australia, mms, SMS, 3g, activation and voice calls all work.

So far, very happy with purchase. Now for homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcswanson View Post
    Ok, on Optus Australia, mms, SMS, 3g, activation and voice calls all work.

So far, very happy with purchase. Now for homebrew.
    Do you think that QWERZ is going to be a problem to you at all?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast