Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    That was somewhat fair. I think had spent more time with the keyboard, he would've found he was just as quick on it as he is with the iPhone keyboard. The "autocorrect" aspect of the typing experience on the iPhone results in some odd word replacements -- a buddy of mine misspelled "help" as "hepl" while banging out a text and it substituted "hepplewhite." Of course, now when we ask if someone needs help, we use hepplewhite instead, so I guess it had a small benefit.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    That was somewhat fair. I think had spent more time with the keyboard, he would've found he was just as quick on it as he is with the iPhone keyboard. The "autocorrect" aspect of the typing experience on the iPhone results in some odd word replacements -- a buddy of mine misspelled "help" as "hepl" while banging out a text and it substituted "hepplewhite." Of course, now when we ask if someone needs help, we use hepplewhite instead, so I guess it had a small benefit.
    My thoughts exactly - mostly fair.
    Didn't exactly sound like someone using homebrew or jailbreaking.
    Agreed...it's a balanced review. I had my qualms about the keyboard as well but after a few days with it I adjusted quite well. Nothing beats a physical keyboard, nothing!
    True....but I'm thinking the average user isn't going to be going there, just the kins of folks who find themselves on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Didn't exactly sound like someone using homebrew or jailbreaking.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Ya, I also thought is was well written and mostly fair. For an IPhone ******, I thought he gave the Pre credit where it was do, and most of where he said the Pre lacks, be honest....it does. (except the keyboard, over time, I think he would of got fast on it)
    Fair review.

I've helped three iPhone users and one Verizon customer all transfer to Sprint in the last few weeks... all purchased the Pre... all love that they're going to save about $70/month.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    True....but I'm thinking the average user isn't going to be going there, just the kins of folks who find themselves on this forum.

I think the percentage of jailbroken iphones is estimated at 10% so the Pre is more than likely around the same.
    Nothing about notifications though. I think that's a big omission.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I had my qualms about the keyboard as well but after a few days with it I adjusted quite well. Nothing beats a physical keyboard, nothing!
    How about a physical keyboard with optional spell correction.

I'm still typing faster on my iPhone keyboard but I definitely enjoy a physical keyboard more. But the small keys result in more typos for me still so I'd love to have an OPTION for spell checking that matches the iPhones.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    While multitasking on the Pre is awesome, it seems to come at the price of battery life. During the initial setup and playing around with the phone, I drained the battery to 35 percent in four hours.

In moderate use, I would often drain the battery within eight hours.

One day as a test, I simply unplugged my iPhone and the Pre from their chargers at 8 a.m. I left the Pre at home with no applications running and took my iPhone through a normal day's use. By 1 a.m., the iPhone had 20 percent battery left. The Pre was dead.
    While you can buy spare batteries or charge the Pre using a computer or car charger, the possibility of being stuck with a dead phone is much more likely with the Pre.
    This does not sound accurate. The phone was sitting for half a day and died?!? I dont think so. I have come home from an 8 hour day of playing on my phone with 12% and still dont have to toss it on the charger for at least another hour. Mind you it was just sitting at my computer desk.

Other then this little tidbit I have to agree it was almost a balanced review. As for the e-mail thing he mentioned...I have all of my e-mail accounts on the phone and one inbox to check them with...not sure what he was doing??
    Too bad he didn't know about homebrew or didn't utilize it if he did know. I'd like to know what he thinks about the Pre's onscreen keyboard compared to the iPhone's.
    I wonder if he would have liked the Pre even better with that option.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waya68 View Post
    Too bad he didn't know about homebrew or didn't utilize it if he did know. I'd like to know what he thinks about the Pre's onscreen keyboard compared to the iPhone's.
    I wonder if he would have liked the Pre even better with that option.
    When doing product reviews, most people stick to stock Roms and options because that represents the experience of most users.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    When doing product reviews, most people stick to stock Roms and options because that represents the experience of most users.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    While I liked the multitasking of the WebOS, I think the average smartphone user would prefer the simplicity of the iPhone.
    I find this statement to be contradictory. A smartphone user wants things to be simple? Simple to use, I suppose, but I think smartphone users crave all the bells and whistles, don't they? Wouldn't they get a free phone if they didn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    I find this statement to be contradictory. A smartphone user wants things to be simple? Simple to use, I suppose, but I think smartphone users crave all the bells and whistles, don't they? Wouldn't they get a free phone if they didn't?
    I agree... Thats why we are all on here.. I want to add everything on this phone that it can handle
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    True. But, I have read reviews that point out that there are options.
    I'm not knocking the review. It was well done and he did compare a stock iPhone to the Pre. Just curious as to what an iPhone user would think of the onscreen keyboard on the Pre. I'm trying it out but don't much care for it.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I think he missed the fact that the Pre's battery can be replaced easily...with bigger batteries. I think the 1400mAh oem-sized battery would have performed easily as well as his iPhone's.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    I think he missed the fact that the Pre's battery can be replaced easily...with bigger batteries. I think the 1400mAh oem-sized battery would have performed easily as well as his iPhone's.
    I believe the point of the review was to compare a stock iPhone to a stock Palm Pre to see how they stacked up against each other out of the box. Throwing aftermarket parts (or homebrew software and tweeks for that matter) into the mix would invalidate the review since the Pre wouldn't be in it's stock configuration.

The review on the whole was surprising well handled and fair given the title. I really can't find much fault with it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast