Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    I think he missed the fact that the Pre's battery can be replaced easily...with bigger batteries. I think the 1400mAh oem-sized battery would have performed easily as well as his iPhone's.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    When doing product reviews, most people stick to stock Roms and options because that represents the experience of most users.
    I agree with CGK but, as I said with the keyboard, the option wasn't mentioned. Of course the iPhone's battery isn't swapable so maybe it didn't occur to the reviewer.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I believe the point of the review was to compare a stock iPhone to a stock Palm Pre to see how they stacked up against each other out of the box.
    Yes...exactly.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by azzokk View Post
    This does not sound accurate. The phone was sitting for half a day and died?!? I dont think so. I have come home from an 8 hour day of playing on my phone with 12% and still dont have to toss it on the charger for at least another hour. Mind you it was just sitting at my computer desk.

    Other then this little tidbit I have to agree it was almost a balanced review. As for the e-mail thing he mentioned...I have all of my e-mail accounts on the phone and one inbox to check them with...not sure what he was doing??
    If I understand your statement correctly, you may need to reread that timeframe. It was taken off the charger at 8:00 am on, say Monday morning. By 1:00 am on Tuesday morning the battery was dead. That's 17 hours.

    Still, the battery life seemed a bit short to me too. Perhaps he had enabled email to download automatically every 15 minutes? I'll have to try this myself and see what happens.
  4. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by waya68 View Post
    I agree with CGK but, as I said with the keyboard, the option wasn't mentioned. Of course the iPhone's battery isn't swapable so maybe it didn't occur to the reviewer.
    "While you can buy spare batteries or charge the Pre using a computer or car charger, the possibility of being stuck with a dead phone is much more likely with the Pre."

    He DID mention it. I also agree, fairly balanced review. And he said he'll give it another look in a few months, maybe we'll soon see him as a member here!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    When doing product reviews, most people stick to stock Roms and options because that represents the experience of most users.
    True enough. Not sure then why forum users here would find it a good comparison or review. For the mainstream, I suppose it's ok. Though it still falls short. I guess a review that gives the Pre some due is considered fair, but doesn't mean it's a good one.

    Email is superior on the Pre. Not a tie.

    Web browsing he got right. But not for his reason IMO. Pre's screen is sharper, colors are more accurate. But the iphone is a bit faster, has more options and your more likely to get switched to iphone compatible sites automatically.

    Music & video is about even IMO. Multitasking helps (since we're talking stock phones here) for apps like Pandora and more than makes up for a few features left out of the media player. He puts this in a separate category called user interface but multitasking enhances the other categories.

    The phone part i still give to iphone, not Pre. Just a bad phone app still with the Pre. Visual voicemail, easier time with 3 way calling, etc.

    He throws in Universal search in the phone part but it deserves more than that. A Pre is simple to slide open and immediately start typing. Spotlight or not, that's not as simple to do with the iphone. And it doesn't give an option to do a web search or others.
  6. espio's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #26  
    I thought it was a fair review from an iPhone snob. All the other iPhone junkies I know here in Grand Rapids won't even discuss phones with me.

    Last edited by espio; 10/16/2009 at 06:37 PM.
  7. azzokk's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    If I understand your statement correctly, you may need to reread that timeframe. It was taken off the charger at 8:00 am on, say Monday morning. By 1:00 am on Tuesday morning the battery was dead. That's 17 hours.

    Still, the battery life seemed a bit short to me too. Perhaps he had enabled email to download automatically every 15 minutes? I'll have to try this myself and see what happens.
    Yeah Stand corrected I thought he said 1pm that same day. I honestly don't have a problem with the battery life of the Pre. I just make sure I keep a charger in my car and drop it on the Tstone when I get home...problem solved!

    I turn off alot of the stuff if I am not using it, bluetooth, GPS, and Wifi. Also unless I need the program, I close every card.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I believe the point of the review was to compare a stock iPhone to a stock Palm Pre to see how they stacked up against each other out of the box. Throwing aftermarket parts (or homebrew software and tweeks for that matter) into the mix would invalidate the review since the Pre wouldn't be in it's stock configuration.
    Comparing the stock phones is fine, but being that the Pre is cheaper than the iPhone I'd say it bears pointing out that for the same money (or less) than you spend on an iPhone you can get a Pre and equip it with a Seidio 2600 battery that slaughters the iPhone in terms of battery life.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    True enough. Not sure then why forum users here would find it a good comparison or review. For the mainstream, I suppose it's ok. Though it still falls short. I guess a review that gives the Pre some due is considered fair, but doesn't mean it's a good one.

    Email is superior on the Pre. Not a tie.
    ...
    You're review of the review is pretty spot on. I thought it surprisingly "fair" for an iPhone fan; but dropping that qualifier, it was a pretty poor review. The "Email a tie" part was the dead giveaway. The Pre can synchronize to more than one EAS account. That alone breaks the tie. The rest of your comparisons were right.
  10. #30  
    not a bad review IMO
  11. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #31  
    I think part of the review is subjective, but I think the overall conclusion matches mine. iPhone is easier for new smart phone users. That is why my wife has an iPhone. She is not a power user like me and does not even do txt, so the ability to get email, go on the web, listen to music and some fun free apps to play with is all she needs.

    My current feeling is that Pre sits between iPhone and Hero or N900. The latter are more for tech geeks. My wife woulf never want to spend time to set up seven screens and then set up multiple scenes. I frankly do not have time to do that much customization on my phone. If I was still college, I would definitely want more features and play with them. But with busy work schedule and family, I really does not care about so many scenes and screens to customize.
  12. #32  
    My results for battery life are as follows (stock Pre bought on day of release):

    Saturday 10-18-2009 @ 06:00am: Removed from charger
    @ 06:00pm: 61% (Made two short calls, less than 5 min each. Ignored one incoming call to vmail)
    Sunday 10-19-2009 @ 12:00am: I looked at the battery life remaining before I retired but can't for the life of me remember what it was (with any degree of certainty at least)
    @ 08:00am: 41%
    @ 12:30pm: 27% (made one 15 minute call)
    @ 03:00pm: 20% warning sounded, placed on charger.

    So, with minimal usage, my totally stock Pre lasted ~33.5 hours on a single charge. Seems the reviewer's battery died exceptionally quick for just leaving it on a table unused. Something must have been running in the background to drain the battery as fast as it did for the reviewer. Email perhaps? Multiple accounts accessed every 15 minutes (I believe this is the default setting)? Bum battery?
  13. #33  
    First, I love my PRE -- but my battery life sucks. I take it off the charge at 100% and it immediately reads 98%.

    I go to bed at 98% and no calls, I wake up with the alarm seven hours later at 42%. And this is consistent almost exact same numbers every night.

    I find that crappy -- and it's just worse as the day goes on. It spends more time hooked to the wall than in my pocket.




    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    My results for battery life are as follows (stock Pre bought on day of release):

    Saturday 10-18-2009 @ 06:00am: Removed from charger
    @ 06:00pm: 61% (Made two short calls, less than 5 min each. Ignored one incoming call to vmail)
    Sunday 10-19-2009 @ 12:00am: I looked at the battery life remaining before I retired but can't for the life of me remember what it was (with any degree of certainty at least)
    @ 08:00am: 41%
    @ 12:30pm: 27% (made one 15 minute call)
    @ 03:00pm: 20% warning sounded, placed on charger.

    So, with minimal usage, my totally stock Pre lasted ~33.5 hours on a single charge. Seems the reviewer's battery died exceptionally quick for just leaving it on a table unused. Something must have been running in the background to drain the battery as fast as it did for the reviewer. Email perhaps? Multiple accounts accessed every 15 minutes (I believe this is the default setting)? Bum battery?
  14. #34  
    It's no secret that the Pre has so-so battery life. I thought the reviewers findings seemed constant with reality.
  15. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #35  
    I disagree with this statement. "While I liked the multitasking of the WebOS, I think the average smartphone user would prefer the simplicity of the iPhone. " The first time I tried to do a "Simple" thing like play pandora and access the web at the same time on my Ipod Touch, I was left wondering what was so special about this product. While most of the review was indeed fair it never ceases to amaze me how quickly Apple customers will down play multitasking.
  16. #36  
    Multitasking is THE best feature of the phone. I never thought I needed it on my Centro, but after just 1 week of my Pre, I can't live without it..
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    I go to bed at 98% and no calls, I wake up with the alarm seven hours later at 42%. And this is consistent almost exact same numbers every night.
    I know when I had email set to automatically download every 15 minutes, I could almost watch the battery meter drop. Once I set it to manually download all 10 accounts, my battery life was much better.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    First, I love my PRE -- but my battery life sucks. I take it off the charge at 100% and it immediately reads 98%.

    I go to bed at 98% and no calls, I wake up with the alarm seven hours later at 42%. And this is consistent almost exact same numbers every night.

    I find that crappy -- and it's just worse as the day goes on. It spends more time hooked to the wall than in my pocket.
    Any reason why you don't leave it plugged in overnight? I want to sympathize and all..
  19. #39  
    I'm the iPhone snob who wrote the review. Thanks to everyone who shared their feedback on the review. To answer a few a questions...

    -- In the case where I left the Pre at home and the battery died after less than a day, I had 4 email accounts checking email every 15 minutes. (Same situation as I have with my iPhone)

    -- I perhaps made a poor choice of words when I said "the average smartphone user" would prefer the simplicity of the iPhone. I meant the AVERAGE PERSON would prefer the simplicity, but most smartphone nerds like yourselves (and me) would prefer the Pre.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by azzokk View Post
    This does not sound accurate. The phone was sitting for half a day and died?!? I dont think so. I have come home from an 8 hour day of playing on my phone with 12% and still dont have to toss it on the charger for at least another hour. Mind you it was just sitting at my computer desk.

    Other then this little tidbit I have to agree it was almost a balanced review. As for the e-mail thing he mentioned...I have all of my e-mail accounts on the phone and one inbox to check them with...not sure what he was doing??
    Unfortunately this is true for my Pre. I believe it has to do with me living in NYC. My phone goes in and out of coverage constantly as i enter subways and big buildings.

    I found the review to be pretty good.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions