Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    Some things are worth the nine month wait.

    I bought my Pre from the Murraygate O2 store in Dundee and, as I am waiting around for my number to port, here are a few pictures of my beautiful paperweight and some initial thoughts.

    The packaging of the Pre and Touchstone are very well designed in comparison to some of the downright shoddy attempts I have endured from rival companies. I know it does not count for much but first impressions are very important in this market and Palm have done well in that aspect. My immediate reaction was one of surprise at how small and sleek the device is. Despite countless videos and pictures you cannot get a true appreciation of the size until it is sitting in you hand. It really does just feel right. One of the things that annoys me about current phones is the desire to make everything as thin as possible which only results in longer devices. What is the point? Even if you do not have a Touchstone I would recommend buying the back cover as it simply looks and feels a lot better. Speaking of back covers it took a fair while to remove mine. I am going to need to grow a special Pre nail in order to easily remove it in future. I have seen no issues with build quality at all.

    Anyway that is all I can say at the moment until my number ports across. It is a bit strange looking at my old phone with contempt and willing it to die but that is where I currently am. I'll pass this over to those who are able to report back and provide pictures of their Pre actually doing something.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  2.    #2  
    Apologies for the picture quality above. I cannot find my camera and I have absolutely no idea how to use the one I did find. I am great with technology but I have never seen so many things to press, click and twist on one device in my life.


    PS: I am not employed by Energizer.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  3. #3  
    Are you able to tell us what UMTS frequencies it has? 1900/2100? I'm hoping to get one unlocked.
  4. #4  
    Picked mine up at 9am in Edinburgh... first thoughts were "absolutely awesome"! And I agree, it's so much better in the flesh. My only gripe so far is the $ symbol on keypad. Um... couldn't they have switched this to ?!
  5. jp99's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chital View Post
    Picked mine up at 9am in Edinburgh... first thoughts were "absolutely awesome"! And I agree, it's so much better in the flesh. My only gripe so far is the $ symbol on keypad. Um... couldn't they have switched this to ?!
    Sounds like a great idea for a patch for our friends across the pond! Submit a patch request, I'll bet someone will do it for you.
  6. #6  
    how is the build quality and keyboard ?
  7. #7  
    i think he means its printed on the keyboard as a $. Someone makes a patch to change that and they become the first Palm Pre Saint!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  8.    #8  
    I did not notice the $ sign on the keyboard. The German Pre definitely has the € symbol. I have no idea why they get a localised keyboard but we do not.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    how is the build quality and keyboard ?
    I want to know too. Does it have any "oreo" effect?
  10. #10  
    I'm looking to get my Pre early next week, I've already got my PAC number from Orange.

    As I'm also going to sign up to a business tariff, so can you confirm your problem porting over your number.

    Is the problem the moving over of your old number to O2?

    Are you still able to make and receive phone calls on your old phone on your old network until the change over?

    Thanks.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  11. ldj
    ldj is offline
    ldj's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    I did not notice the $ sign on the keyboard. The German Pre definitely has the € symbol. I have no idea why they get a localised keyboard but we do not.
    I hadn't noticed the dollar sign either. lol

    Build quality for me seems excellent. No complaints at all. Been loading apps all day from the app store.Will be nice to see the OS upgrade.
    Little things (such as a timer during a call) need to be fixed, but the OS is superb....
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Is the problem the moving over of your old number to O2?

    Are you still able to make and receive phone calls on your old phone on your old network until the change over?

    Thanks.
    The problem is moving my number from Vodafone back to O2. My old number works fine but I would rather not have a dumb phone and a Pre paperweight until the 25th.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  13. c_man's Avatar
    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I'm looking to get my Pre early next week, I've already got my PAC number from Orange.

    As I'm also going to sign up to a business tariff, so can you confirm your problem porting over your number.

    Is the problem the moving over of your old number to O2?

    Are you still able to make and receive phone calls on your old phone on your old network until the change over?

    Thanks.
    Are you actually part of a business? i.e. do you have your own company, etc. If not, how else are you qualifying for the business tariff? (I'm asking without reading the terms/conditions for the business tariff )
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Are you actually part of a business? i.e. do you have your own company, etc. If not, how else are you qualifying for the business tariff? (I'm asking without reading the terms/conditions for the business tariff )
    Yes, I'm wanting to sign up via my Company.

    They are quite strict on proving you are a company. I need to take the Company Registration number, a list of all the Directors and their DOB, and perhaps their home addresses too.

    It's a bit of a pain actually, as I wanted to sign up via another Company I work for, but not a director of. But that is going to be too complicated, as they want it to be a Director who sets it all up etc. So I'll stick with the other one, which I'm a Director of.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  15. Benuk's Avatar
    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    I want to know too. Does it have any "oreo" effect?
    Mine had a minor wiggle this morning, which has since developed into the full 'oreo' although maybe it should be 'bourbon' as its a UK model.

    I'm going to take it back to the o2 shop tomorrow to get it swapped out, apart from that I really like the phone and the OS streets ahead of the WM 6.5 phone I've come from.

    My gf who I got a samsung dumb phone for at her request at the same time as she didnt like the Pre when she had seen it on the net is liking it. So I may be swapping it for a pre within the 14 day exchange. Still it will give me an excuse to buy another touchstone!
    Last edited by Benuk; 10/16/2009 at 01:57 PM.
  16. Benuk's Avatar
    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #16  
    Also just to add as some US users had issues with BT car kits. I've been using mine with my laguna built in nav/phone withe no issues.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    how is the build quality and keyboard ?
    bump
  18. #18  
    26 hours in...

    The build quality of my unit seems great, though I am going to pop into the shops later to see how it compares to other units. I'm also a bit annoyed about the rather random availability of free touchstones, but hey ho!

    As someone who has only ever used a dumb phone (no PDA or iTouch either), it's taking me a while to get used to the basic stuff like using email and web browsing. I'm sure I'll get used to it...

    I was wondering what apps UK people are using? I've just installed mobank but need to set it up. It is at all possible to get BBC radio somehow?! I had that on the dumb phone and I'm really missing it!
  19. #19  
    I have ever such a slight and I mean slight movement of the screen when the device is closed from the keyboard, the supposed oreo or bourbon effect. But on visiting the o2 store today the demo devcies they had out for people to try also had exactly the same slight movement as mine so feel much better now that I had not got a bad pre.

    There are a real lack of apps just now and not sure about the ones that say for US, does that mean they will not work on pre devices outside US??

    The device works really well I now have version 1.1.3 although not sure what improvements this has made as there is no mention of the details on the palm website like they do on the US.

    Loving my Pre though, was really impressed with the google maps to figure out what street I was on this morning very clever.

    Does anyone know how to sync you outlook contacts without having to use google?
  20. c_man's Avatar
    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
    I have ever such a slight and I mean slight movement of the screen when the device is closed from the keyboard, the supposed oreo or bourbon effect. But on visiting the o2 store today the demo devcies they had out for people to try also had exactly the same slight movement as mine
    I fear that increased usage will bring increased flex/movement. I hope I'm wrong though...
    Congrats on getting a Pre though
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions