Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm loving my Pre. Went out and got it today, just updated to 1.1.3 as well!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    So I went into the o2 shop today to get my pre exchanged. On the way in I checked out the two demo units they had on display. One was as bad as mine but the other was pretty solid as I had expected mine to be.

After some discussion another pre was produced which still had a bit of play when closed which I wasn't happy with. The assistant stated that they had been authorised to exchange my pre but I had to be happy with the one I left the store with as they would not exchange it again.

The assistants in the store seemed to believe that it was it was supposed to be and that other slider phones have the same effect.

After some more discussion ending with me stating I would take a punt on the next pre they produced as they said they wouldn't open everyone in the shop. They got another from the back and this was as solid as the other demo unit. (I'm not sure what I would have done if it hadn't have been)

I am grateful that both of the display models weren't effected as I do not believe they would have exchanged it at all let alone open a second.

So I performed a full erase and swapped pre's signed in on the new one and updated to 1.1.3 and was up and running again.

On a positive note the palm restore function worked smoothly and I now have a pre that I am happy with that feels right in my hand.

Unfortunately it wasn't the greatest customer service I had ever experienced so I'm not sure if o2 are going to be as willing to exchange pre's with this defect as sprint seem to have been.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
    There are a real lack of apps just now and not sure about the ones that say for US, does that mean they will not work on pre devices outside US??
    I have tried a few of them and all have worked fine although some of the text on buttons etc seem a little strange no spaces between words etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
    The device works really well I now have version 1.1.3 although not sure what improvements this has made as there is no mention of the details on the palm website like they do on the US.
    I was told by a member of palm tech supourt that it at leasts fixed an issue with google calendar sync that I was having. (which it did)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    You would think that some of the designers from the Handspring era is still at Palm and that they would have suggested making a sturdy slider, after all the lid on the Treo 180, 270 and 300 had some issues too.

That was mostly wiring and hinge related but it still shows that any device with a slider or lid need some extra looking at.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    You would think that some of the designers from the Handspring era is still at Palm and that they would have suggested making a sturdy slider, after all the lid on the Treo 180, 270 and 300 had some issues too.

That was mostly wiring and hinge related but it still shows that any device with a slider or lid need some extra looking at.
    you think that the tesing phase they would have realised the problem and discussed it with manufacturing :S
  6.    #26  
    It is hardly a problem though and it is inherent with all slider phones. If you want a slider you need to accept that there will be some give over the lifetime of the product. If, for whatever reason, it becomes bad then you simply get your Pre replaced under warranty.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    It is hardly a problem though and it is inherent with all slider phones. If you want a slider you need to accept that there will be some give over the lifetime of the product. If, for whatever reason, it becomes bad then you simply get your Pre replaced under warranty.
    True true I am sure o2 and Palm would want to ensure if you are not happy it will be replaced. I believe they had the same problem initially when launched in the US.
    yeah thats true

and how about the keyboard? are you getting used it it?
    is there a skype app?

lol, sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the replies!
    The keyboard was a little odd to start with, as the keys are more rubberised than on my treo pro. But after about 10mins of typing the keyboard is actually very usable, plus it is backlit as well.

As far as I know there is no skype, well not yet anyway. I have been on the app store everyday since getting my pre and there are new apps being added everyday.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Just been 'playing' on one for the first time at my local O2 store.

One word remains in my mind: .....laaaaaaag
    I didn't expect so much lag when performing relatively simple tasks, i.e. clicking on an icon to open its app, or to go to the next screen. Opening the calendar was especially 'painful'. I believe a future WebOS version aims to fix this. At least I hope it does.

As wardie states in the post above, the keyboard is very usable, and I presume would only take a short while to get used to... though I am known to have quite small hands and even I had to resort to using my fingernail tips to type in a fast manner. Not sure how long the rubberised keys can withstand getting jabbed by fingernails :confused

The gestures are potentially very powerful but on the Pre it is slightly confusing, its not clear whether a gesture (e.g. sweep right to left to go 'back') is always applicable in the screen you are in, either it works or it doesnt, but there is no prior indication whether it will.

I went in to try texting/SMSing above anything but the 'messaging' app didn't seem very polished and I suspect I may have to go into the 'mail' app to see the traditional view of Inbox, Sent Items, etc ...however the 'mail' app needed authorisation and the staff in the store either pretended to be too busy to help or simply didn't really know themselves.

The web browser worked very well. Nice and crisp, responsive, and fast loading times. One thing someone may be able to clarify, if you are browsing in landscape view and come across a text input, i.e. you need to type something in, how can you overcome this without having the rotate the phone portrait and open up the keyboard? Maybe you can't?

Overall I'm glad I 'played' with one before a purchase, would recommend everyone else does too. Essentially it has made me NOT rush for the Pre anymore, I won't go to great lengths to obtain one (i.e. leave my current Orange contact), but will pick one on when it becomes available unlocked/simfree. Unless of course something better has arrived by then (not the HTC HD2, it looks huuuge).
  11.    #31  
    I would definitely hold off until we get parity with webOS.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'm really surprised at how quickly I've adapted from a software, numeric keypad (on the Samsung Tocco) to a full physical QWERTY keyboard. I don't seem to be making any more typing mistakes than I do on a full keyboard, either (though I realise that's more a commentary on my own terrible typing).

The slider seems a bit sticky sometimes, but I'm not overly bothered by the slight sideways movement on it - with moving parts, there needs to be a tolerance of some sort or it won't open smoothly.

I'd been playing with the emulator a lot so I was used to webOS responding a bit quicker than the actual device does, but even with a 2-3 second loading time on apps it's lightning quick to do just about anything compared to my old phone.

I'm in the same boat as Teso with the number porting, though; it's not being moved across 'til sometime Tuesday, so I'm dragging two phones around at the moment - the Tocco for calls and texts, and the Pre for internet, calendar and email.
    gh as in laugh, o as in women, ti as in nation
    DnD 4e Compendium (Beta)
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    but even with a 2-3 second loading time on apps it's lightning quick to do just about anything compared to my old phone.
    Maybe, compared to your old phone, that is great speed...
    But on the whole, is waiting 2-3 seconds for the app/next screen after you've tapped it's respective icon, really that impressive? I wouldn't have thought so. (I've not really used an iPhone so perhaps this sort of waiting time is the norm these days??)

Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    One thing someone may be able to clarify, if you are browsing in landscape view and come across a text input, i.e. you need to type something in, how can you overcome this without having the rotate the phone portrait and open up the keyboard? Maybe you can't?
    ^ I can imagine this is annoying for lucky owners regularly browsing on their Pre. Surely someone else has come across this?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Teso with the number porting, though; it's not being moved across 'til sometime Tuesday, so I'm dragging two phones around at the moment - the Tocco for calls and texts, and the Pre for internet, calendar and email.
    You cannot have a temporary number on a business account so I am only carrying a single dumb phone. Luckily I called the business porting team and things should be good to go at somepoint tomorrow.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Had mine since Friday and very pleased; email, calendar & contact setup very smooth.Have noticed slighy oreo/bourbon effect but am going to use two thumbs to open in future rather than just thumb in bottom righthand corner

QUESTION - has anybody else noticed that the Googlemaps app isn't processing UK postcodes properly? It appears to only search on the first four
    characters and is therefore inaccurate
    Mine just arrived [UK] Don't want to speak to soon, as it is still on charge, but build quality looks to be solid. That charging cover really is a bugger though isnt it?! Think i might stump up for a touchstone purely for convenience.

Just got to get through a day of work without being *too* distracted and then get everything sorted when i get home. Can't wait to get experimenting with it. I am a total amateur when it comes to this stuff, so ill take it slow, but ive read nearly all the info on this site and it look pretty ***** proof.
    Last edited by Zischke; 10/20/2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Miscommunication of battery/charging cover
    I was worried when I swapped my cases over to the touchstone one that I'd snap something, though my biggest fear was the first time I took the usb cable cover off
  18. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I do wish they'd provide true Outlook sync. Google calendar sync is a buggy piece of crap and not having my contacts sync is a big miss for me. One of the things I miss from Windows mobile.....
    Anyone found a decent desktop sync option?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    I do wish they'd provide true Outlook sync. Google calendar sync is a buggy piece of crap and not having my contacts sync is a big miss for me. One of the things I miss from Windows mobile.....
    Anyone found a decent desktop sync option?
    ...is there no Outlook sync???
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    You cannot have a temporary number on a business account so I am only carrying a single dumb phone. Luckily I called the business porting team and things should be good to go at somepoint tomorrow.
    It lives!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast