Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    "Meh" is perhaps a little strong, but I had high expectations - really high - and they weren't met.

Almost all of this is because the O2 store I visited clearly hadn't been through the UK training process as they didn't know anything about the handset and couldn't demonstrate the product. "Most people just come in here for the iPhone." I must be getting old as I didn't rise to the bait.

They had not sold any of the handset that day (I went in at 12:15 to an empty store), but their manager had told them of one being sold somewhere, they think. So not a good quality store then... and the Pre is being undersold.

As for the device... well please bear in mind that it isn't at my personal form factor sweet spot. I like front-mounted QWERTY keyboard devices, like the 680 (and my current Nokia E71). Slider keyboards are not really my thing. It's also a very small device with an equally small keyboard (something I suspect the Pixi will suffer from too). So I liked it, but... c'mon O2, this is being undersold, get your act together!

Tomorrow I'll go to a different store and find somebody who understands the product and can demonstrate it.

<rant warning>

As of right now, might be a nice device, but a shoddy network and (in my opinion) Palm have to get this device on other networks, or available unlocked GSM with a QWERTY keyboard and full functionality. If it doesn't meet O2's expectations then maybe that'll happen, but please, please please don't have a two / five year tie in with O2, nooooo....
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    My advice to you would be to play with the phone yourself. Whenever a salesperson tries to sell me a phone, I always feel like they are leaving something out.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Oh I did, don't worry, and I have some of the basics such as flicking cards away, but some aspects I either need to read the handbook or have somebody demonstrate it.

For example, I added an appointment to the calendar. Great. So how to I close this, or confirm it, or what? Sure, I can zip back to another card and that works a treat, but for some of the simple stuff I'm all a bit... lost... in the new device.

I don't especially like the iPhone, but my very first experience with the 3G and the reason why I bought my wife one (heh!) was because the 02 salesperson could demonstrate how it worked doing lots of things...

...rather than have two Pre demonstration models sitting on their Touchstone chargers showing the time...
    This is sort of my thought on why Palm isn't rushing to AT&T. It's not Apple pressuring AT&T but rather Palm not relishing the thought of trying to sell phones at AT&T stores that are basically mini Apple stores with employees all carrying iphones.

At least Sprint made it their flagship. And Verizon doesn't really offer much of a flagship phone besides the storm.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10/16/2009 at 07:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    That makes perfect sense. And you're right, 99% of O2 staff that I see have the iPhone...
    it will take time to fully understand everything this phone can do .I would if I were you just browse through these forums to learn how the phone works . Not to mention out of the box the phone falls short , but once you. Have been here with it and used webos QI ,it overcomes and conqures everything else by far imho.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    They had not sold any of the handset that day (I went in at 12:15 to an empty store), but their manager had told them of one being sold somewhere, they think. So not a good quality store then... and the Pre is being undersold.

Never fear, this is not a universal situation. I got mine this morning at 9am. Got to the branch (in the City near Liverpool St) as they openened the doors so I was the first but by the time I left (took about half an hour as they had trouble booting up their PCs ) there were half a dozen others waiting to be served with a Pre.

I hadn't handled a Pre before but I have to say I am pleased so far. Setting up the email was almost too easy - I coundn't see how it had worked with only the email address and a password until I realised it must have guessed the smtp server addresses and settings and got them right. Sweet!

A long way to go yet before I have everything off my Treo (have to wait 'till I get home for much of it) but so far so good.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Good news on the PrPrPr $being$ $a$ $success$ $elsewhere$!

I’m kinda a Palm fan boy, I bought the Trēo 680 and my good lady the Centro to help them through the desert. But with the Pixi almost out in the wild and that having my preferred form factor, I am right now thinking I will wait.

I have been reading the PrPrPr $forums$ $kinda$ $pretty$ $much$ $since$ $they$ $were$ $up$ &#$8211$; $I$&#$8217$;$ve$ $had$ $my$ $E71$ $for$ $about$ $a$ $year$ $and$ $I$ $still$ $miss$ $my$ $Tr$&#$275$;$o$ $680$. $I$&#$8217$;$d$ $say$ $I$&#$8217$;$m$ $moderately$ $comfortable$ $with$ $the$ $ideas$ $behind$ $it$ &#$8211$; $but$ $the$ $difference$ $is$ $in$ $somebody$ $showing$ $you$ $how$ $it$&#$8217$;$s$ $done$. $That$&#$8217$;$s$ $probably$ $just$ $the$ $way$ $I$ $learn$...

Right about now, I feel dirty because I have been waiting for the PrPrPr $since$ $it$ $was$ $announced$ $in$ $January$ $and$ $now$ $that$ $it$&#$8217$;$s$ $out$, $I$ $didn$&#$8217$;$t$ $enjoy$ $it$ $as$ $much$ $as$ $I$ $wanted$ $to$.