1.    #1  
    If Palm decided to take a look at the HD2 and decided to offer a similar hardware device next year. Would this interest you?

1Ghz Snapdragon processor or better
    4G wimax/evdo rev. a
    64gb storage (don't think Palm is thinking card slots)
    4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen 480 X 800 WVGA
    5MP camera Auto focus Dual LED flashlight
    RAM: 448 MB or higher
    Along with GPS, compass, sensors, etc.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I would upgrade in a second!
  3.    #3  
    I'd name my next kid after it..lol (but after Pixi...that's kind of a scary thought)
    They'd have to work out the heat and battery issues. These things keep getting faster, which equates to more heat, which equals me being able to cook a steak on my phone. And if you want to really USE the thing, you need an extended battery, which makes the phone thicker and clunkier.

Battery and cooling technology is not keeping up with the advances in processors, not by a long shot. I think that's where there is money to be made. If only I could be the one making it.

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    They'd have to work out the heat and battery issues. These things keep getting faster, which equates to more heat, which equals me being able to cook a steak on my phone. And if you want to really USE the thing, you need an extended battery, which makes the phone thicker and clunkier.

Battery and cooling technology is not keeping up with the advances in processors, not by a long shot. I think that's where there is money to be made. If only I could be the one making it.

/Kevin
    All reports are saying the HD2/Leo's battery life is one of the best out there, and it only uses a 1250mAh battery if I'm not mistaken. It's got far longer talk time than our Pre, as well as far longer standby time.
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Speed doesn't automatically mean more heat.

Your phone is way more powerful than the first super computers that needed large air conditioned rooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post

Your phone is way more powerful than the first super computers that needed large air conditioned rooms.
    TRUE!

BUT I somewhat agree, unless they are using a super efficient processor it is probably going to back more power. More power is less battery and using comes with the side effect of this dang thing called heat. Works well as a hand warmer in the winter though

I would love to have a fast phone like that, BUT faster processor doesnt always mean faster and better phone. If they could put all that into a small form like the Pre, YET something as study and durable as a Treo 650...Then I would be all over it.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If Palm decided to take a look at the HD2 and decided to offer a similar hardware device next year. Would this interest you?

1Ghz Snapdragon processor or better
    4G wimax/evdo rev. a
    64gb storage (don't think Palm is thinking card slots)
    4.3-inch capacitive touchscreen 480 X 800 WVGA
    5MP camera Auto focus Dual LED flashlight
    RAM: 448 MB or higher
    Along with GPS, compass, sensors, etc.
    cardfan,
    Here is my $ 750.00.
    OBTW , I am fine if they reduce the screen size and stick in a physical keyboard. But keep the SD , 5 MP camera.
    And build quality the same if not better
    Something with a usable, syncable (without Google or exchange -- DIRECT!) calendar and fully backup-able would be nice (like the Treo line)
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    All reports are saying the HD2/Leo's battery life is one of the best out there, and it only uses a 1250mAh battery if I'm not mistaken. It's got far longer talk time than our Pre, as well as far longer standby time.
    Yup.
    That's because the latest processors scale down , or go to sleep when idle.
    Plus HTC knows what they are doing (which they do), they can tweak the juice going to the screen.

Those two things will save the battery.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am Jon Rubinstein and I approve this idea.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    That would be a killer of a phone .
    Speaking of which , my 2 cents , I bet someone is going to ROM webOS on HD2.

I will be waiting for that video.
    Interesting and yes Palm should be honestly looking at this HD2 and what is under the shell. BTW, is the HD2 specifically a phone or is it a technology that incorporates 1ghz Snapdragon, WiMax, etc? Also, is WiMax backwards compatible with Sprints present 3g since I'm pretty certain, WiMax will not arrive in our area anytime soon.

Thanks for the quick insight, Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Yup.
    That's because the latest processors scale down , or go to sleep when idle.
    Plus HTC knows what they are doing (which they do), they can tweak the juice going to the screen.

Those two things will save the battery.
    Which HTC devices have you owned? I've had three now (and don't plan on purchasing any more for a good long time) and I would never say that "HTC knows what they are doing". In some regards, of course they do, but I don't consider them a quality company at all.

So which HTC phones have you had that led you to say that HTC knows what they're doing? (I don't mean this to sound as inflammatory as it might come across. I really am curious.)

/Kevin
    I thought WiMax radios drew a ton more power than the 3G radios that are in our phones now. I'm confused how that meshes with the claims of great battery life. Am I missing something here, or have I just been mislead on the WiMax power needs?
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Which HTC devices have you owned? I've had three now (and don't plan on purchasing any more for a good long time) and I would never say that "HTC knows what they are doing". In some regards, of course they do, but I don't consider them a quality company at all.

So which HTC phones have you had that led you to say that HTC knows what they're doing? (I don't mean this to sound as inflammatory as it might come across. I really am curious.)
    I'm curious about that too. The only one I have experience with is the Tilt. My fiance and a good friend both have one. They were awesome out of the box, but a year later they're both literally falling apart. Another friend burned through 2 of them in about 6 weeks before finally just giving up on it. Their stuff looks great on spec sheets, but I haven't been impressed with the durability at all.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    I'm curious about that too. The only one I have experience with is the Tilt. My fiance and a good friend both have one. They were awesome out of the box, but a year later they're both literally falling apart. Another friend burned through 2 of them in about 6 weeks before finally just giving up on it. Their stuff looks great on spec sheets, but I haven't been impressed with the durability at all.
    I had the PPC-6700, the Mogul (6800) briefly, then the Touch, then the Touch Pro. Each one progressively worse than the one before it, the Touch Pro being by far the worst. Initially I was very happy with it, but all of its problems were hardware and design issues, nothing that could be fixed with software.

Most of the Pre's issues so far seem to be, for me at least, software-based issues -- shortcomings in webOS itself that can be fixed. Not saying the Pre is perfect hardware-wise, 'cause it's not, but Touch Pro quality or Pre quality? Pre wins hands down in my book. The more I think of all the money I gave HTC, the madder I get. :P I kept buying the next one, thinking it had to get better, but it never did. I finally learned my lesson, though, and when the Touch Pro 2 came out, I didn't get it, and got the Pre instead. No regrets at all so far, despite webOS' immaturity.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post

True, if you are comparing technologies across several generations. But within 1 generation difference, more speed does equal heat, unless you get a significant architecture change (eg, multicore).

Battery and cooling technology is not keeping up with the advances in processors, not by a long shot. I think that's where there is money to be made.
    Cooling technologies are actually quite good, but phone companies don't put them in because they are trying to squeeze every penny out of the design (something my company faces every day with these guys). They won't put anything in place until it becomes a big problem - a certain amount of customer noise has to happen first.