1.    #1  
    You know, lately it seems as though that this has been the "pre to Hero conversion forum". Prior to 6-6-09, I had a phone for 5 years that had virtually nothing on it and still worked well (Samsung something or another, I cant even remember the model). I guess that I don't have a problem with those wanting to switch, just the fact that you have to come here and rag on a phone that never promised anything like video, trackball etc.. I actually don't mind constructive criticism of the phone, but when it didn't come with it in the first place, I for the life of me cannot understand the bitterness.

I must admit that after being a Sprint Nextel customer for 11 years, I was a little hesitant switching to a everything family data plan after having such a cheap plan for so many years, I paid the 15 dollar internet and 5 dollars for my wifes and oldest son's phone. My phone did seem a little old and I decided to get into the smartphone game by taking a gamble on a 1st generation phone. I didn't know any better, but after doing a bunch of research the pre had everything that I wanted in a phone with room to grow.

I bought my pre and was so happy with it, I got my oldest son one. I began searching the internet for news stories about the phone that I'd bought and that's what brought me here to precentral. They seemed to be on top of all of the recent news for the pre and even had a place to talk about it. It was here that I found out about "homebrew apps". In fact, at first I thought that I was just too dumb to figure out how to install that stuff until one day I became adventurous. The instructions were step by step and easy to do (even for a dummy like myself). I was then able to work out a deal with Sprint to get another pre for my wifes birthday (bought 8-27).

Now that I look back 4 and a half months, I'm glad that I bought the 1st gen pre. Hopefully this phone will last me for 5 more years, it's my son that will likely be looking to get a 16 or 32GB pre in the future. Maybe because it's my first smartphone I appreciate it more than some of the fairweather owners and smartphone veterans looking to get rid of it so quickly for another model. Don't get me wrong, the 3gs, hero's, Blackberry and all of the others I've seen are all great phones and I'm not trying to sound cheezy... But I almost feel like a pre "test dummy" and that I am a part of Palm History.

For that, I am happy....

PS

3 pre phones and the only problem has been that my 17 year old (In blue to the left) ripped off his plastic USB battery door. If anyone would ruin a phone first it would be him, he texts 9000 times a month and is constantly dropping the phone with no case.

Again, thanks precentral, Palm, Sprint and all of you homebrew guys out there. Your hard work IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I feel you man this pre experience is fun!
    Only had mine 2 weeks and I cant be without it for even a hour
    Some of us have been doing it for 10+years. It's not called an test dummy.
    It is an early adopter. Nothing is different with the pre, than it was with the visor phone, the Treo 180, treo 270 or the 600.

As a former person who gave into all the "iphone" hype for a couple months before the Pre came out., what a blah phone, cool apps but no substance.

If you have been here as long as many of us, there is always been a phone that would be a treo killer... blah blah, people leave the Treo in digust because it was released before it was ready... blah blah... And they always come back.

So I am glad people are liking it, I am glad we have such an incredible community here, it is matched by nothing.
    I am what you would call a veteran WinMo-er... LOL The experience I have had with my Pre has been fresh and fun. Even with the little hiccups along the way. They are nothing to the work that goes into a Windows Mobile phone. Especially with all the WONDERFUL homebrewers around here.

I will however be switching out of this Pre as soon as a bigger Pre comes available... or has a storage card slot. That is about all I need. Well, Mobile office capabilities would be nice too... but I have found ways to work around that on the Pre for now.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I bought my pre and was so happy with it, I got my oldest son one. I began searching the internet for news stories about the phone that I'd bought and that's what brought me here to precentral. They seemed to be on top of all of the recent news for the pre and even had a place to talk about it. It was here that I found out about "homebrew apps". In fact, at first I thought that I was just too dumb to figure out how to install that stuff until one day I became adventurous. The instructions were step by step and easy to do (even for a dummy like myself). I was then able to work out a deal with Sprint to get another pre for my wifes birthday (bought 8-27).
    Somebody please make this entire post a sticky!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    I will however be switching out of this Pre as soon as a bigger Pre comes available... or has a storage card slot. That is about all I need. Well, Mobile office capabilities would be nice too... but I have found ways to work around that on the Pre for now.
    I'm curious... is that really something you need? Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for a Pre(like) that has removable media as well, but I also know that, for me at least, it's purely a mental thing.

When the first Treo came out that had removable memory, I ran out and paid extra $$ to get a memory card that had 2gb instead of 1. When the 4gb came out, I was right there, paying $99 for a memory card for crying out loud. When the 8gb cards came out, I'd prefer to think I finally came to my senses, but the real truth is I kept hearing probelms about Treo's not working well with them. Had it not been for that, I'd probably have dropped $100+ on one of those as well.

In all the years I owned a Treo... I never once used more than 2gb of memory on the card.

I will certainly buy the new Pre(like), if/when it comes out; but only because I know the $200-$300 bump is going to be easier than seeing a therapist to fix my emotional need for more memory.

But... that's just me. YMMV
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Some of us have been doing it for 10+years. It's not called an test dummy.
    It is an early adopter. Nothing is different with the pre, than it was with the visor phone, the Treo 180, treo 270 or the 600.

As a former person who gave into all the "iphone" hype for a couple months before the Pre came out., what a blah phone, cool apps but no substance.

If you have been here as long as many of us, there is always been a phone that would be a treo killer... blah blah, people leave the Treo in digust because it was released before it was ready... blah blah... And they always come back.

So I am glad people are liking it, I am glad we have such an incredible community here, it is matched by nothing.
    I meant no offense. I'm just happy to be able to test out the 1st generation pre. Hopefully, I will still have this same phone in 5 years so that I can report back to Palm about the reliability. So far, my pre is as solid as opening day.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    It's stories like this that make me so impatient. I have set an early December date for myself (financial reasons). I can't wait.