Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 118
  1. Beefy's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #1  
    Like many of you, I've noticed that there is a slight - less slight in some cases - delay in opening applications, swiping through launcher pages, transitioning into/out of cards, etc.

    Per my understanding, right now, this lag is due to the fact that the current OS version does not allow graphical tasks like rendering the GUI to be offloaded to the GPU.

    How easy would this be to address for Palm? Would it simply be a matter of including the relevant code in an update for the OS to start using the GPU, or what?

    Along those lines, why the hell is the GPU access restricted anyway? For such a capable platform and so open to hacking, it makes zero sense why Palm would keep these features so restricted from the get-go.
  2. #2  
    I don't know but it needs to be addressed. You are correct and this needs to be fixed ASAP. The Pre would run so much smoother if the OS could access the GPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Beefy's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #3  
    Not only that, but the processor is underclocked for its capability. I understand Palm wanted to start slow, but this seems like something that should be released sooner rather than later so that appropriate development can begin.
  4. #4  
    I was happy with the speed improvements that came with 1.2, but yesterday I had to setup email for someone on his new iPhone 3GS....damn...now that thing is smooth and fast! And it killed the battery at an unbelievable rate! The battery was at 100% when I started, and after setting up a comcast account, the phone was busy downloading emails. Less than an hour and a half later, the battery was down to 43%.

    Life must be hell for the frequently emailing iPhone user!
  5. Beefy's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I was happy with the speed improvements that came with 1.2, but yesterday I had to setup email for someone on his new iPhone 3GS....damn...now that thing is smooth and fast! And it killed the battery at an unbelievable rate! The battery was at 100% when I started, and after setting up a comcast account, the phone was busy downloading emails. Less than an hour and a half later, the battery was down to 43%.

    Life must be hell for the frequently emailing iPhone user!
    Given the hardware of the Pre, there's no reason why the thing should be laggy the way it is.

    I'm 99% convinced that this is because of the CPU being unable to assign the GPU any tasks and also being underclocked by ~100MhZ.
  6. #6  
    Yeah I am not quite sure why Palm did go the route it did. To be an iPhone competitor, it had to be pretty and fast. We got kinda pretty, but not super fast. I am sure it has to do with battery and power management among other things. Who knows, I just hope that there will be improvements made soon. It's really frustrating seeing how fast the iPhones GUI is with almost identical hardware, and how the Pre kinda looks like a turtle in comparison.
  7. Beefy's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Yeah I am not quite sure why Palm did go the route it did. To be an iPhone competitor, it had to be pretty and fast. We got kinda pretty, but not super fast. I am sure it has to do with battery and power management among other things. Who knows, I just hope that there will be improvements made soon. It's really frustrating seeing how fast the iPhones GUI is with almost identical hardware, and how the Pre kinda looks like a turtle in comparison.
    To be fair, the Pre has been out ~5 months.

    Still. The point holds. There is literally no reason for this phone to still be lagging switching pages and opening apps other than Palm having its collective thumb firmly buried in its own ***. I'm sure a member of the internals team could write the appropriate code, but why should they have to?
  8. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #8  
    The use of the GPU should be palm's top priority for the next patch.
  9. #9  
    The RAM is also a bit underutilized. Check out http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rds-error.html
  10. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #10  
    [pointing at Beefy]

    Creating a thread title like that and offering no solution????

    TEASE!!!!!
  11. #11  
    I'm guessing the underclocking is due to have a compromise between speed and battery life until they can implement dynamic CPU scaling. Get that going, utilize the GPU, and battery life and experience should help a lot.
  12. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #12  
    GPU access would *NOT* give a lag-free pre. The pre lags when it swaps. i.e. ram usage.

    -mark
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    GPU access would *NOT* give a lag-free pre. The pre lags when it swaps. i.e. ram usage.

    -mark
    Not anymore thanks to you.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    GPU access would *NOT* give a lag-free pre. The pre lags when it swaps. i.e. ram usage.

    -mark
    first, thanks for the great link, good read, and has prompted me to try the patches.

    as to the GPU would it improve speed/fluidity at all, I was under the impression that it would help with GUI tasks, as rendering would be offloaded to it, especially when you have heavy background processes happening.
    There are four lights.
  15. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #15  
    I have to assume the GPU would allow for higher graphical fidelity. On an Iphone, go to any program and scroll slowly-it's like butter. Would it be the same on the Pre with a GPU?
  16. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #16  
    Graphic tasks are fairly fluid as it is. i.e. go to the cardview re-order view.. you can quickly switch back and forth.. everything is basically in memory there, and it runs optimally.

    One of the big disadvantages of the iPhone is that it can't multitask.. Of course the advantage of that is that whatever app an iphone user is using is basically running on the full hardware - rather then sharing with others..

    BUT try the memory /etc/fstab hack in the link above.. it does lead to a much more fluid experience.

    Where the GPU would help is in gaming - once the SDK is updated to take advantage of it for that..

    -m
  17. #17  
    you do realize that no other phone has used web technologies before in the fashion palm has done. This is all new grounds and improvements will come when the technology progresses. Fortunately this technology seems to be hot right now (google, javascript engines, etc) so I expect things to take a while but it will be done eventually.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    GPU access would *NOT* give a lag-free pre. The pre lags when it swaps. i.e. ram usage.

    -mark
    It would definitely help though. I notice lagging pulling down menus and switching between launcher pages. Those are most likely caused by the CPU needing to render the transitions, while simultaneously loading processing the new data. If some of that could be offloaded to the GPU, I am convinced it would help the fluidity of the OS quite a bit.

    And the reason that the GPU wasn't utlilized by Palm at launch is simply because they didn't have enough time. They needed to release the Pre because money was getting really tight.
  19. #19  
    This is all *MAJOR* speculation ... but that being the case ...

    I'm on the side of the person who points out that this is a *very* new OS and system apps. There's a lot of possible reasons why it's a little slow now (including all of the ones mentioned), and every chance that it will improve significantly over the next few months or a year. The latest release seemed noticeably quicker to me, and we're getting releases at a very rapid rate.

    One thing I know from experience, is that a lot of the system apps and system code is no doubt Javascript, which is a scripted/interpreted language. As this matures and the APIs get more solid, I suspect they can move some part of that code into a compiled language, and it would be a *lot* faster.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    you do realize that no other phone has used web technologies before in the fashion palm has done. This is all new grounds and improvements will come when the technology progresses. Fortunately this technology seems to be hot right now (google, javascript engines, etc) so I expect things to take a while but it will be done eventually.
    I asked this a while back in the dev forums they didn't jave linux drivers yet for the gpu and writing those is no small task, though I can't imagine palm would put the chip in and never use it
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions