Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 118 of 118
  1. Beefy's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
       #101  
    You know what else finally clicks?

    This is also the reason why you don't see actual animation in any application on the Pre - performing any actual animation would tax the CPU too much.

    Ever notice how on other phones applications like bWeather have animations for the actual graphics, like clouds covering the sun or rain coming down?

    Well, now you know why we don't have them: because there isn't a GPU that can handle it.
  2. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #102  
    If someone [or PAlm] could implement the GPU Access ....couple that with the fstabs and luna.comf mods that would be awesome!! Talk about no lag at all?
  3. UF15's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    don't you think they would have if they could?
    Based on Palm's history (and spare me how this is a new and different company now), no. They essentially take a "Eh, good enough" approach. They get things to a workable level, then abandon them for an extended amount of time. It isn't just that they don't have the money or the talented programmers (which they don't), they don't have the desire to want to improve their devices to be the best they can be. They have lived, and might soon die, by the "good enough" mentality.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Based on Palm's history (and spare me how this is a new and different company now), no. They essentially take a "Eh, good enough" approach. They get things to a workable level, then abandon them for an extended amount of time. It isn't just that they don't have the money or the talented programmers (which they don't), they don't have the desire to want to improve their devices to be the best they can be. They have lived, and might soon die, by the "good enough" mentality.
    i dont see why companies wouldnt WANT to make it as best as they can. better = more $ = they keep their company and job.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Based on Palm's history (and spare me how this is a new and different company now), no. They essentially take a "Eh, good enough" approach. They get things to a workable level, then abandon them for an extended amount of time. It isn't just that they don't have the money or the talented programmers (which they don't), they don't have the desire to want to improve their devices to be the best they can be. They have lived, and might soon die, by the "good enough" mentality.
    The Palm of the past is essentially gone. The numerous updates since the Pre has been released are pretty much proof positive of that. How many updates has Palm OS received since the Treo 650 launched? Definitely not 4 in a 4 month period. Jon Rubenstein has an entirely different view on devices and software from the old Palm. I think we have a lot to look forward to coming from Palm now.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

    Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  6. UF15's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    The Palm of the past is essentially gone. The numerous updates since the Pre has been released are pretty much proof positive of that. How many updates has Palm OS received since the Treo 650 launched? Definitely not 4 in a 4 month period. Jon Rubenstein has an entirely different view on devices and software from the old Palm. I think we have a lot to look forward to coming from Palm now.
    Ok, so what would be a realistic timeline for them to implement GPU access for general OS tasks? 6 months? 12 months? 18 months?
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    It isn't just that they don't have the money or the talented programmers (which they don't), they don't have the desire to want to improve their devices to be the best they can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  8. vinscuzzy's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #108  
    I just got back from the sprint store after playing with the htc hero for about an hour. I'm trying to decide if I wanna take back my pre, and I got 4 days left. I don't want an iphone, so please don't start that up, but I do like games on my phone. The hero has a bunch of crap in there app store, but some of the games were really nice. From reading this thread, I'm starting to get the assumption that it may take 8 months to have graphics drivers released, does that mean the games on the pre are gonna stay this cheasy till then? I'm really not knocking the developers thus far, they're are some cool apps out, but is it really gonna take till mid 2010 before some good 3D games come? The hero also had 3rd party media players that play wav mpg wmv avi flv, evrything. Also some really great file browsing software capable of opening zip files. Are apps like this gonna come to the pre? Or is the current SDK stopping dveoplers to create apps of this nature?


    ps please don't assume I hate the pre. I actually love the device, just a bit worried about some of its shortcomings. This thread is certainly not helping.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Ok, so what would be a realistic timeline for them to implement GPU access for general OS tasks? 6 months? 12 months? 18 months?

    ...in the near future...
  10. #110  
    this just is not true , they did not put this stuff already in the phone if they did not plan on using it . it may seem that way ,just remember that their first smart phones were the bomb and far above all others .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. #111  
    I usually replace my phones every year.
    If the Pre is not getting smooth graphics (via GPU) until another year and a half, which is HIGHLY likely, I may just cut losses and move back to AT&T with a new Windows Mobile 6.5 or iPhone.

    I have always used Windows Mobile devices and they are very nice to hack and get around carrier lockdowns. Never had anything but great experiences with mine as well.
    I typically buy HTC's from the internet and then hook them up to AT&T. I think I might actually go iPhone this time because of the maturity of the device and all the apps available.

    If I was an investor, I would bank on Apple's iPhones getting multitasking long before the Pre gets GPU.
    I am not a Pre hater; I like my Pre a LOT, especially the Synergy sync and the form factor, but being a tech geek/engineer it's a pet peeve to have a porsche and put a governor on it.
  12. #112  
    if your scared then go get the hero , lol as for me i will just wait . this phone will be about the best in another 6 months at the rate of updates and patches and apps ,homebrew and app store
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  13. UF15's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    this just is not true , they did not put this stuff already in the phone if they did not plan on using it . it may seem that way ,just remember that their first smart phones were the bomb and far above all others .
    Maybe the GPU was just a part of the chipset, and they couldn't get the same chipset and processor without the GPU because it is sort of a generic component. I have a cable plan with Comcast. I never intend to watch Bravo, but it comes with the plan I needed to get to get channels I want. And I am paying for Bravo and Oxygen whether I like it or not.

    Here is why people should be angry. You paid for that GPU. The chipmaker charged Palm for that GPU and Palm passed it on to us. Yet everybody with a Pre has paid for something that is being completely unused. From the get-go, I find that unacceptable, but to expect people to wait 6-18 months to use a piece of hardware they paid for is ridiculous.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Maybe the GPU was just a part of the chipset, and they couldn't get the same chipset and processor without the GPU because it is sort of a generic component. I have a cable plan with Comcast. I never intend to watch Bravo, but it comes with the plan I needed to get to get channels I want. And I am paying for Bravo and Oxygen whether I like it or not.
    Maybe they had information regarding ARM's Cortex A8 coming in the iPhone 3gs and so wanted to put it in the Pre to draw comparisons???

    On the other hand, the Pixi is also going to come with a GPU. Palm hopefully is up to something..
  15. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    Maybe they had information regarding ARM's Cortex A8 coming in the iPhone 3gs and so wanted to put it in the Pre to draw comparisons???

    On the other hand, the Pixi is also going to come with a GPU. Palm hopefully is up to something..
    Well, keep in mind that they are using a standard TI OMAP 3430 system architecture for the Pre:

    OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430

    This pretty much includes the PowerVR GPU whether you use it or not. So we probably should thank TI for having the brains to make a GPU part of their standard architecture. Now Palm needs to *use* it.
  16. #116  
    yeah and maybe a plane has controls for pilots just for the heck of it . you think they should really put them in there since they have auto pilot already???????? or are they there just for looks so people can compare them lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  17. #117  
    Palm has until the end of March to 1) enable the GPU, 2) run the CPU at full speed, 3) sort out their RAM issues and 4) enable multithreading via WebWorkers (already in Safari/Firefox).

    If these things do not happen in ~6 months from today, I am jumping ship to whichever is the most capable platform. You can only remain loyal to such an extent. Good luck!
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Maybe the GPU was just a part of the chipset, and they couldn't get the same chipset and processor without the GPU because it is sort of a generic component. I have a cable plan with Comcast. I never intend to watch Bravo, but it comes with the plan I needed to get to get channels I want. And I am paying for Bravo and Oxygen whether I like it or not.

    Here is why people should be angry. You paid for that GPU. The chipmaker charged Palm for that GPU and Palm passed it on to us. Yet everybody with a Pre has paid for something that is being completely unused. From the get-go, I find that unacceptable, but to expect people to wait 6-18 months to use a piece of hardware they paid for is ridiculous.
    Why should the spend the extra $$$ on the chip that has integrated graphics when there are plenty of chips out there that don't and are likely cheaper?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions