Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
  1.    #1  
    I really want to like the Pre. It has some wow factor and some good points, but no voice dialing is a real bummer. Here in NYC you need to use a headset when driving and voice dialing is a must for me. Fingering through contacts is not the way to go when driving. Anyone see any 3rd party apps on the horizon or Palm actually issuing an update for this? I may need to shelve the Pre if this doesn't happen.
  2. #2  
    We will have to wait for a Palm update or the SDK to be updated so that developers can use the microphone for their apps. Currently vocal input is unsupported so apps that rely on it to function such as song detection apps are unavailable.

    I'd prefer a Palm update to the voice dialing, but I'm sure a homebrew app will come along before any Palm implementation (including a App Catalog app).


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    Well it really seems to be a foolish mistake by Palm to not include something as basic as VD. It was a foolish mistake on my part also to not research this phone better to see that it didn't have it. HTC's Hero with Android will probably be the way I go. In looking at the various reviews of the Hero, it will quickly take over the Pre. I guess I own another brick
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    Well it really seems to be a foolish mistake by Palm to not include something as basic as VD. It was a foolish mistake on my part also to not research this phone better to see that it didn't have it. HTC's Hero with Android will probably be the way I go. In looking at the various reviews of the Hero, it will quickly take over the Pre. I guess I own another brick
    Doubt it, at least, on Sprint. The Hero isn't getting hailed as their top phone, the Pre is still getting that honor, still getting the ad money, etc. You really think it was a mistake to not have voice dial? Palm isn't a large company, they had to get this phone out, it's a 1.0 device, and they can only move as fast as they can move. 1000 employees means progress will not be absurdly fast. Don't buy 1.0 devices if you can't wait for features, there are plenty of phones out there that will do what you want. Hell, if anything, sell your Pre and buy a Hero, you'll likely break even. Nothing is forcing you to stick with the Pre.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Doubt it, at least, on Sprint. The Hero isn't getting hailed as their top phone, the Pre is still getting that honor, still getting the ad money, etc. You really think it was a mistake to not have voice dial? Palm isn't a large company, they had to get this phone out, it's a 1.0 device, and they can only move as fast as they can move. 1000 employees means progress will not be absurdly fast. Don't buy 1.0 devices if you can't wait for features, there are plenty of phones out there that will do what you want. Hell, if anything, sell your Pre and buy a Hero, you'll likely break even. Nothing is forcing you to stick with the Pre.
    Calm down, dude.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    Calm down, dude.
    I am calm. Post something of value.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess Palm should take out ads that say "Palm...we're doing the best we can!"
    LOL Yes Palm did miss the mark a bit on certain basic things. Call history filtering is one of them. I mean didn't any of the engineers who designed this phone use others for comparison? VD is a a basic feature especially considering all of the laws requiring hands free utilization when driving. Hey I am as remiss as the Pre engineers. I should have done better homework too.
  8. #8  
    Voice dialing was the biggest missing feature for me as well. I think it will eventually show up, but as someone else mentioned, there's a distinct lack of support for the mic in the SDK right now.

    But, I've kinda' gotten used to not having it. One big help has been to use PhotoDialer to keep a short list of my most used contacts. A lot easier than scrolling through several hundred contacts. The other option is one of the Blueant headsets that will let you voice dial any of your speed dial numbers. Of course neither of those help the traveling business person who needs access to the full list 8^(.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    VD is a a basic feature especially considering all of the laws requiring hands free utilization when driving.
    My understanding of the law (at least in CA) is that you are allowed to dial while driving ... just have to be hands free while talking. Whether that's safe is another question ... but you can be legal without voice dial.
  10. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #10  
    This is the most important feature, and was around for the last 10 years on many phones.

    PALM was brain dead on few features.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    This is the most important feature, and was around for the last 10 years on many phones.

    PALM was brain dead on few features.
    Was a feature I never used on my Pearl. Must be why I don't miss it.
  12. #12  
    It's an important feature, but historically Palm has never implemented it themselves on their phones. It's been a third party application. I expect the same for the Pre, but as others have noted, the SDK probably still needs some work first. Perhaps we should be pestering some of the historical 3rd party providers for PalmOS and see if they are planning a webOS version. Even though Palm hasn't provided access via the SDK, one could imagine that something special could be cooked up for an important capability like this.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  13. #13  
    I should also add that the fact that the iPhone now has voice dialing capabilities probably does put a little pressure on Palm in this category. I bet we'll see it via 3rd party before too long.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I should also add that the fact that the iPhone now has voice dialing capabilities probably does put a little pressure on Palm in this category. I bet we'll see it via 3rd party before too long.
    Hope you're right. I really didn't want to shell out $400+ for another phone.

    By the way, if I need to sell my Pre on Ebay, what should I do to "clean" the phone before doing so? Also is there something I need to do regarding the ESN before selling it?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    Hope you're right. I really didn't want to shell out $400+ for another phone.

    By the way, if I need to sell my Pre on Ebay, what should I do to "clean" the phone before doing so? Also is there something I need to do regarding the ESN before selling it?
    Best bet is to WebOS Doctor it with the latest OS, that way it's a fresh OS, and the new owner will just log in to his Palm Profile, or set one up, and I guess take it into Sprint and set it up.
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Was a feature I never used on my Pearl. Must be why I don't miss it.
    I use it all the time. Specially when driving.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I use it all the time. Specially when driving.
    I don't talk and drive Actually, I don't really talk much either, I used 4 anytime minutes last month I did talk more with my Pearl though, but how hard it is to press a couple buttons to bring up a contact? Even on the Pre it's pretty damned easy.
  18.    #18  
    Some other silly design flaws that may or may not have been able to be addressed by the folks at Palm are the USB/cgarger location and how it is accessed/protected and the lack of an alternate touchscreen keypad on a touchscreen phone. The charger location is not accessible for me while the phone is in the cradle in my car. Also having to pry open that silly little door is just a pain. The door is also a break waiting to happen. Who decides on these things? Are they people who live real lives or do they live i a cloud where nothing breaks and functionality is second to the purity of the design aesthetic? I am an architect and things, though they need to look good, also need to function well and have durability. The Pre, as someone else said, is almost a beta version of what they may eventually come up with.
  19.    #19  
    The Hero ( found here - reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-hero-sprint/4505-6452_7-33770450.html) looks to be a well thought out phone, derived from previous versions of other successful phones. Notice the USB placed at the lower end so that it can be placed in a car cradle and charged simultaneously. The phone also has a virtual keyboard. Man how unique on a touchscreen phone.

    I don't really want to bash Palm, but for a company that really started the PDA craze, they dropped the ball on a lot of things with the Pre.
  20. #20  
    I currently have a Treo 700WX which came with VD and that is all I use while in the car. VD is also on some very basic phones..I agree Palm ade a istake with this and has me on the fence about getting the Pre, which I really want...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions