Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremytallman View Post
    One could hope, except their "everything" type plan is way more per month than Sprint's.

The plan I have been looking at with Sprint is the 1500 Minute - Everything Data Family - $129.99 a month. Verizon does not compare to this and don't even look at ATT.

That may change, as smart phone are making into every day users hands. Sprint is cutting into their biz and I assume that they will have to hit back. If they are both going to carry the same phone with V's plan costing so much more, hardly anyone will want to sign up with V.

V has stayed on the smart phone sidelines for a while and now A T & T and Sprint, have gobbled up a big chunk of the market.

Every where you read V is said to really want to push the android and Pre as Iphone killers. You cannot have an Iphone killer, without being far more competive about pricing.

Besides, my phone is on my g/f account. She gets a dsicount (a large one), thru her firm. We have 5 phones on her plan, so I hope their rate will work for me. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    That may change, as smart phone are making into every day users hands. Sprint is cutting into their biz and I assume that they will have to hit back. If they are both going to carry the same phone with V's plan costing so much more, hardly anyone will want to sign up with V.

Every where you read V is said to really want to push the android and Pre as Iphone killers. You cannot have an Iphone killer, without being far more competive about pricing.
    I hope you are right with regards to plans from V, ATT, etc.; but T-mobile just re-did theirs and they don't seem to get it. Fingers crossed for ATT and V that their plans drop in price. Later.
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    ... why can't we speed dial into a number so we can voice lookup our contacts at least and verbally dial a number should be REQUIRED by the feds IMHO. if they can make us wear headsets - the fed should make the cell companies require voicedial.
    The government can never help out a consumer and/or a business. They would only complicate things, adding costs to the government-side AND the business-side... which would be passed onto the consumer AND taxpayer -- double taxation just for you, even tho you could just wait 8-10 months for a WebOS upgrade. Seriously... voice dialing is something that YOU need to consider when purchasing your phone. If that's what you truly need, you wouldn't have bought a Pre. But the government can NEVER help in situations like that. If they had required the Pre to have voice dialing... there's a very good chance it might not have made it to market in time to save Palm. They're barely making it right now, so I'm not sure how delaying the propagation of WebOS is beneficial to any consumer. Doesn't make any sense. The market already provides you with solutions to voice dialing. I'd be happy for the government to get involved if 3/4ths of the states ratified the Constitution -OR- 2/3rds of Congress agreed to amend the Constitution. Until then.. No.

Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    The example a poster above said with typing a few letters is valid- yes the hardware keyboard and universal search does make it easy to look up people- but in many states TOUCHING your phone while in the car is illegal. You need to tap your headset once and then speak - that is their definition of "hands free" try debating w. a cop that you were only typing 1 character to speeddial and see how successful you get out of a texting while driving in California ticket.
    The majority of states do allow you to touch your phone, tho. California is one of the very few, if not the only one, that doesn't allow you to touch your phone. And the thing about that is... how's a cop supposed to know why you're staring at your junk? If someone actually got a ticket for making 3 keypresses on their phone... they probly deserve it for being so visually distracted. I've been typing on Palm phones while driving for years now. The secret is DON'T TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD! Your powers will come in time, young Jedi. If the phone is not visible to the police officer, you will not get a ticket. You can even get a copy of his video camera's recording if you do to show the court that the officer is pulling some shiz out of his arsh.

V has stayed on the smart phone sidelines for a while and now A T & T and Sprint, have gobbled up a big chunk of the market.
    V hasn't quite stayed on the sidelines. They were pushing buy one get one free Blackberries for some time... and probly still are. Verizon shouldn't need to worry about if their 80+ million customers are using smartphones or dumbphones. Their main goal, like any business, is to make a profit... which is something Sprint hasn't been able to do for 2 years. If I was V, I'd prefer that all my customers use dumbphones so that it'd keep my costs down. And if they want to keep paying outrageous prices (even tho Sprint can roam on their network for free)... I certainly wouldn't stop them. Verizon is #1 for a reason, and it's because a lot of people don't feel like dealing with the type of reps that Sprint hires and trains. Now Sprint's customer service has improved tremendously, but they've still got quite a reputation to buff up for years to come.

Something about that isn't right. If Apple & AT+T can charge more than $100/mo EVERY month... why couldn't an "iPhone killer" come with a similar pricing "scheme"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremytallman View Post
    That is something I have been interested in as an alternative. Did you do a permanent install of the Touchstone (i.e. - did you wire the charger cord in and mount the Touchstone somewhere, or are you just using the regular cigarette lighter plug-in?)?

If you did a permanent do you have pics? Thanks.
    I have it running with the Motorola car charger using the regular cigarette lighter plug.

Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    Well it really seems to be a foolish mistake by Palm to not include something as basic as VD. It was a foolish mistake on my part also to not research this phone better to see that it didn't have it. HTC's Hero with Android will probably be the way I go. In looking at the various reviews of the Hero, it will quickly take over the Pre. I guess I own another brick
    DROID DOES have voice dialing and other voice activated features.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Some may find this incitatory and I'm sure I'll take some flames but I think that the lack of bluetooth voice dialing is negligent on the part of Palm. I see this as not only a practical feature but also a safety feature. There is so much focus on distracted driving with numerous municipal and state laws being enacted. I would argue that with the thousands of Pre's that have been sold, there has probably been avoidable accidents that may not have otherwise happened if customers were not as distracted while trying to dial their Pre's.

I really cannot rationalize that Palm could not (read: did not) include a feature I had on my phone in 1995. It’s like a company developed a great new, modern car with ground-breaking features but said it did not have time to put in the airbags and we could probably get them later.
    Last edited by PreAaronr; 10/26/2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I would tend to agree that many need voice dial. But I would guess that most people that have the Pre, don't really care one way or the other about it. I've had voicedial on most of my phones over the years, and never used it. I tried a couple of times, but didn't like it. With quickcontacts and universal search, it takes me no more than 3 button presses to dial someone. On the other hand, I'd probably use a very good implementation of voice dialing if it was available.
    I'll never understand people who say that don't need voice dialing. It's SO much easier to push one button on my Treo 700p and say "Call Ricky Johnson" than it is to open my contacts list and scroll around trying to find his entry and then click on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I'll never understand people who say that don't need voice dialing. It's SO much easier to push one button on my Treo 700p and say "Call Ricky Johnson" than it is to open my contacts list and scroll around trying to find his entry and then click on it.
    Would you rather have voice dialing or great web browser? That's what we have to come to grips with here. Palm did not have the resources to add it, so you would have to subtract a feature in order to bring in voice dialing.

To me, voice dialing is still a "nice to have" item rather than a must have item. I would rather see this feature added later than have a buggy phone because resources were lacking in another area.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Show me a phone that takes better pictures... and has a full-face screen with a keyboard that pops out from underneath for one-handed (blind) typing... and a hardware ringer switch... and has Linux... and has already been rooted, patched, tweaked, & hacked to bits by PreCentral devs.
    DROID DOES take "better pictures" (5 MP dual led flash camera)

DROID DOES have "a full face screen" (larger than the Pre's and higher resolution).

DROID DOES have "a keyboard that pops our from underneath"

I don't know if it has a hardware ringer or not.

DROID does have Linux

And while the actual DROID phone hasn't been out long enough to have been hardware hacked and rooted, it's predecessor the G1 was certainly "rooted, patched tweaked and hacked to bits" by a devoted community of Devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Would you rather have voice dialing or great web browser? That's what we have to come to grips with here. Palm did not have the resources to add it, so you would have to subtract a feature in order to bring in voice dialing.

To me, voice dialing is still a "nice to have" item rather than a must have item. I would rather see this feature added later than have a buggy phone because resources were lacking in another area.
    OK, I'll give up... NFL, NASCAR, and Sprint TV. Can I have voice dial now?
    I understand that Palm had to cut corners to get a June release. But now its November and its competitors have not been idling by. Palm is about to get left in the dust unless they get their butts in HIGH gear. During the summer the Pre had the advantage of being the new kid on the block. That got it some developer attention. But come November, the new kid on the block will be the DROID and he's a big powerful kid with a toy chest full of the latest gadgets. Do you think developers are still going to want to play with the skinny nerd named Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post
    We could only wish. Unfortunately Palm didn't write those apps.
    I agree with Grndslm, if it wasn't for Precentral and and all the WONDERFUL developers the Pre would be just another lack luster smart phone with not enough features to appeal to all but neater then most.

I think Palm has something special with WebOS, it's just going to take some time for it to be "all it can be".

Best VD I ever had was on my Samsung A900, after that I had the Centro and Instinct, both sucked compared to the A900. It always seems like you lose something with an upgrade but you gain something as well.

Seeing how all have listed their wants, mine would be faster response to tap commands and VM software like the Instint, and a better calendar. Oh, VD too!

I really like my Pre, IMHO it is the best, most fun phone, I've ever had since my A900. But that's just me speaking for what suits me and my lifestyle. Everyone is different.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    There are two groups here-those who voice dial and those who don't. Those who do, value it greatly. Those who don't aren't that bothered by it not being included. This is how it is with many of the features that were left off of the phone. Its vital for some and not for others. For me, voice dial is vital. I have a long commute to work and I speak to quite a few people daily and conduct errands via phone (making appts, etc). Voice dial allowed me to do this with ease. My commute is 90% highway and I cannot safely dial non-stored numbers while driving. There are some shortcuts like speed-dial and homebrew apps that help, but if I want free access to my entire phone book, I am stuck. And yes, I can pull over on the shoulder and dial, but quite honestly that isn't that safe either (have you ever pulled over and felt the cars whiz by and even worse, try to re-enter traffic in a major metro city?) Voice dial is important for those of us who use it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post

This. FTW.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Yea I'm one of those who really miss voice dial. Fortunately I'm semi retired now so I can get by with the Bluetooth redial feature and photodial to call the few numbers I call these days. Not having it isn't a deal breaker and I'm enjoying all the other great features but truth be told, if a phone comes out next year with exactly all the great things the pre has in terms of functionality and performance, size, etc. plus has voice dial, I would jump ship. I really like this phone but I'm not married to it or any of the many gadgets I own.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234