Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree !!!! my old samsung i500 had better features. Why I traded it is a curious question.
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    I replaced an HTC Touch with the Pre. I needed to purchase Microsoft's VD app to get what I wanted from VD - no learning contacts as many VD apps require. Just speak the name and it would recognize it and ask to call "mobile" or "work" or "home" for that contact. The app that came preinstalled on the Touch was horrible - requiring the user to speak the name of each contact in order to allow the phone to associate the name with the VD command.

I am a RE developer and have the need to make calls on the road many times a day to many different contacts. Fingering through the contacts while driving just isn't an option.
    my samsung rant came out of the box with voice dial, I just say a name and it asks me if I said "xxxxx" to make sure and if i didnt say it it asks me home or mobile or work or.... and I say yes, and it calls. I think even all of my free motorola flips from nextel 5 years ago had voice dial out of the box, in fact I dont think ive ever had a phone without it besides my very first cell (nokia 3390 I think)
    Apologies in advance for the long post.

I, and others, don't want a car kit and I don't think anyone else who Wants and I mean Wants this phone wants a car kit.

The reason for having a mobile phone + voice dial + Bluetooth goes back to that original word: Mobile. I, and others, hate extra garbage to carry, lug around that should not even be necessary in the first place (plus it is just extra money to spend - Parrot minikit, Blueant Q1/V1, etc.)

A car kit is not mobile, it is stuck in my car, it has to be wired in or it is just one more thing I have to remember to charge, one more thing to go wrong. Plus, it is a weak excuse and defense for the indefensible - the Pre does not have voice dial and Palm has mentioned multiple times that it was/would be available (original specs, CNET, etc.)

I have a Windows Phone running 5.0! This phone has served me well for years; but I want to upgrade. Guess what, I have had voice dial (voice command) for years. Yes, back then you had to pay for it; but at least it was available. With this "archaic", "ancient" program you can do the following with One press of the button on your Bluetooth headset or the phone (Names are for example only and picked at random):

Call Beyonce' Mobile - phone responds - Call Beyonce' Mobile? - respond - Yes - call is dialed.

Show Kobe Bryant - up pops all his contact info from your contacts list

Play Beatles - Beatles music magically starts to play

Turn flight mode on - phone responds - flight mode on (which turns off all wireless connections) - reverse command - Turn flight mode off.

Dial 18005551212 - phone responds - Dial 18005551212, correct? - respond - Yes - call is dialed.

Those who say they have never used voice command/dial are probably more likely not using Bluetooth. Those of us who have been using this technology for years understand how useful and safety promoting this technology is.

I can drive, walk, skip, sit, ski/snowboard, etc. and never touch my phone, just one button on my BT headset. I can cook dinner, make calls, and talk at the same time.

Finally, I don't want an Android or iPhony and I really don't want to upgrade to a Windows mobile phone unless it is version 7 w/ zune features; but mobile 7 is a ways out and I have been waiting for them to get their act together long enough. I love the Pre; but I will not vote w/ my dollars until Palm addresses issues that should have been addressed a long time ago. But, Android/Windows mobile is looking better everyday; but not because I prefer it.

BTW - I still have an ancient palm PDA, although it is now a paperweight. :-)
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Agree 100%,
    I bet this and video recording are in the next update.
    Doesn't Sprint have the ability to do voice dialing through a Sprint phone number? I thought that is how they did this in the past with phones that didn't support it on the handset itself.

I think if you look at Pre users as a whole, voice dialing is something a small percentage of people really want at the moment. Most of the peeps on this forum are power users so they will want this. Your average Joe probably doesn't.

Before the 3GS I never read anything about the iPhone being a POS because it didn't have voice dialing. It still sold like hotcakes.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Agree 100%,
    I bet this and video recording are in the next update.
    I wouldn't bet too heavily on either of those. But you never know.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Doesn't Sprint have the ability to do voice dialing through a Sprint phone number? I thought that is how they did this in the past with phones that didn't support it on the handset itself.

I think if you look at Pre users as a whole, voice dialing is something a small percentage of people really want at the moment. Most of the peeps on this forum are power users so they will want this. Your average Joe probably doesn't.

Before the 3GS I never read anything about the iPhone being a POS because it didn't have voice dialing. It still sold like hotcakes.
    I agree, except that Palm is trying to get people to upgrade from feature phones, many of which have voice dialing. Now, how many people who have those phones know how to use it? Probably many of the ones that would be interested in upgrading to a webOS device.

Doesn't matter though--now that the iPhone has it, the Pre looks bad by comparison. Palm will have to do it one way or the other.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I agree, except that Palm is trying to get people to upgrade from feature phones, many of which have voice dialing. Now, how many people who have those phones know how to use it? Probably many of the ones that would be interested in upgrading to a webOS device.

Doesn't matter though--now that the iPhone has it, the Pre looks bad by comparison. Palm will have to do it one way or the other.
    Not all iPhones have it, just the 3GS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Not all iPhones have it, just the 3GS.
    Ah, I didn't know that. I thought it was a 3.0 thing. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    Well it really seems to be a foolish mistake by Palm to not include something as basic as VD. It was a foolish mistake on my part also to not research this phone better to see that it didn't have it.
    PalmOS 6.0, 6.1, PalmOS for Linux, etc. were ALL vaporware. It would have been a far more foolish mistake to continue "perfecting" a phone when your business is already about to go under. They did what they needed to do. They got the basics out there. Most people here understood what the limitations of the device/OS were before they purchased. Simply browsing around the phone's options for 30 minutes would tell you nearly everything you wanted to know about the functionality of the device.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess Palm should take out ads that say "Palm...we're doing the best we can!"
    That's more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Safe to say, Palm has no plans to add any useful functionality to the phone. It's been four months and the Pre still lacks basic features, such as voice dialing and text forwarding.
    I'm sure they have plans to add everything to WebOS that people have been clamoring about for the past four months. In the four months tho, Palm has been correcting major bugs and security issues before implementing new features in their OTA updates that will just introduce more bugs and/or security issues. They did release the SDK. They did open the App Catalog, tho it's still in beta. They are creating a new form factor (Pixi) so that there will be more WebOS users who are held back by the slider from adopting it. They are working with various carriers to release GSM Pres in other countries. They're working with Verizon to release a CDMA Pre.

But they do need a better SDK released. They need real hardware APIs for the devs. They need to fix Synergy. They need to fix Unviersal Search. They need to build upon what they have now, which really is a very good start. Palm has never had a perfect product launch in their history. Only phone they've released that I don't remember hearing issues about is the Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Unfortunately, we have phones that pretty much lack a lot of key features and DO NOTHING that other phones can't do.
    Show me a phone that takes better pictures... and has a full-face screen with a keyboard that pops out from underneath for one-handed (blind) typing... and a hardware ringer switch... and has Linux... and has already been rooted, patched, tweaked, & hacked to bits by PreCentral devs. The Pre has it's unique selling points, and I'm ordering one before the end of the month for sure. If it weren't for PreCentral... the Pre would royally suck, and I wouldn't even consider one. But the P|C devs have already shown me that the Pre is a real productivity tool.

Well, if VD is make or break for you, then you've got the wrong phone at the moment. There don't even seem to be any rumors about VD on the Pre. As far as we know, it may never come.
    Exactly. There are at least 100 things that I could think of that are more important to the Pre and WebOS than voice dialing.

Doesn't matter though--now that the iPhone has it, the Pre looks bad by comparison.
    That's clearly an opinion. I think the iPhone hasn't ever looked good for the lack of a hardware keyboard. I also think the iPhone has never looked good due to the way that Apple treats homebrew devs and has such a closed OS. WebOS is currently limited, but not forever.

People should really be righting down a list of things they NEED versus things they WANT. I'm not sure how you could NEED voice dialing when you've got a keyboard that will find it in a couple keystrokes. Want to dial Lillian Olsen's phone number? Just type in "LOL" and you'll see it. I do not know anybody who uses voice dial with or without a keyboard, because the majority of the time the voice dialing ends up calling someone else. Only way I'd want a voice dialing app is if Google created it.
    I have seen this with Sprint and others; but that is/was for "dumb phones" and the Pre is not a "dumb phone".

Possibly true here; but I have found many people don't actually realize their phone has this feature; but once I have shown them it is on their cheapo flip phone! , they start using it. That is just my experience. I really think people need education on this point.

Many people knew the iPhony was missing this from day one and it was never an excuse then either. The hotcakes phenomenon I think is more due to the so-called "Apple Disciple".

Apple lovers will defend anything as long as Steve Jobs tells them they don't need it. You should see them all over people who are laughing at Apple on cnet.com today over lack of internal Blu-Ray support (something that is widely available on a sub $1200.00 Windows Vista lap top). It is unbelievable.

With regards to video from the other poster(s):

Unfortunately, I think this will be only fully realized in the next gen Pre as, isn't the mike on the opposite side of the phone from the camera? There isn't a mike on the back side is there?

Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremytallman View Post
    With regards to video from the other poster(s):

Unfortunately, I think this will be only fully realized in the next gen Pre as, isn't the mike on the opposite side of the phone from the camera? There isn't a mike on the back side is there?

Thanks all.
    Just fyi, a speaker can also be used as a mic, and a mic can be used as a speaker. Not as effective, but possible
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    They did what they needed to do. They got the basics out there. Most people here understood what the limitations of the device/OS were before they purchased. Simply browsing around the phone's options for 30 minutes would tell you nearly everything you wanted to know about the functionality of the device.
    You are correct and that is precisely why I and others have not purchased this phone, yet (and I still may end up picking it up). I did my research; but that still does not address that Palm has teased the voice-dial feature for the Pre from early on.

Exactly. There are at least 100 things that I could think of that are more important to the Pre and WebOS than voice dialing.
    My list is not so extensive; but voice dial is at the top of it (top 3).

People should really be righting down a list of things they NEED versus things they WANT.
    So, since you don't "need" voice dial then, clearly, it must not be a need.

I'm not sure how you could NEED voice dialing when you've got a keyboard that will find it in a couple keystrokes. Want to dial Lillian Olsen's phone number? Just type in "LOL" and you'll see it. I do not know anybody who uses voice dial with or without a keyboard, because the majority of the time the voice dialing ends up calling someone else. Only way I'd want a voice dialing app is if Google created it.
    You, and those you know, must not have used a quality voice-dial/command phone. But one of the main reasons some of us "need" voice dial is because, and how many times does it have to be said, we drive (horrors I know) and need to use our phones on the road. Cheers.
    Perhaps the Verizon version will have it inclused! I hope that the V version will be an updated product!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    Just fyi, a speaker can also be used as a mic, and a mic can be used as a speaker. Not as effective, but possible
    Yup, just what we all want, a "top quality" thrown together patch/app for a cutting edge phone. Maybe we can plug in a USB mic too and solder in a micro SD card slot... Don't get me started.

Seriously though, as any of you who have handled, played with this phone know, Palm got something indescribably right with this phone. It has that indescribable, "just feels right" to it. That alone gives me hope for the future gen Pres.
    I'd always wondered why people wanted that, I would never find myself standing in public saying "call this guy" or using "text to speech" but while driving, NOOOOW it makes sense, lol.

Sorry, had to share my moment of clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremytallman View Post
    You, and those you know, must not have used a quality voice-dial/command phone. But one of the main reasons some of us "need" voice dial is because, and how many times does it have to be said, we drive (horrors I know) and need to use our phones on the road. Cheers.
    The Touchstone on my Dash and the Pre's keyboard work fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Perhaps the Verizon version will have it inclused! I hope that the V version will be an updated product!
    One could hope, except their "everything" type plan is way more per month than Sprint's.

The plan I have been looking at with Sprint is the 1500 Minute - Everything Data Family - $129.99 a month. Verizon does not compare to this and don't even look at ATT.
    The Touchstone on my Dash and the Pre's keyboard work fine for me.
    That is something I have been interested in as an alternative. Did you do a permanent install of the Touchstone (i.e. - did you wire the charger cord in and mount the Touchstone somewhere, or are you just using the regular cigarette lighter plug-in?)?

If you did a permanent do you have pics? Thanks.
    I agree- if you can "phone in a location" into sprint navigation- why can't we speed dial into a number so we can voice lookup our contacts at least and verbally dial a number should be REQUIRED by the feds IMHO. if they can make us wear headsets - the fed should make the cell companies require voicedial.

The example a poster above said with typing a few letters is valid- yes the hardware keyboard and universal search does make it easy to look up people- but in many states TOUCHING your phone while in the car is illegal. You need to tap your headset once and then speak - that is their definition of "hands free" try debating w. a cop that you were only typing 1 character to speeddial and see how successful you get out of a texting while driving in California ticket.
    Last edited by whippingboy; 10/26/2009 at 06:15 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast