Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    The funniest part of all this voice dialing is that if you go to the sprint website and go to the pre features page it says it has voice dial. Go figure, I can't seem to find it anywhere on the phone. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by wgiglio1 View Post
    The phone also has a virtual keyboard. Man how unique on a touchscreen phone.
    The Hero ONLY has a virtual keyboard. Therefore it needs to have one.
    The Hero ( found here - reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-hero-sprint/4505-6452_7-33770450.html) looks to be a well thought out phone, derived from previous versions of other successful phones. Notice the USB placed at the lower end so that it can be placed in a car cradle and charged simultaneously. The phone also has a virtual keyboard. Man how unique on a touchscreen phone.

I don't really want to bash Palm, but for a company that really started the PDA craze, they dropped the ball on a lot of things with the Pre.
    The Hero also doesn't have a dedicated headphone out jack, you have to use the supplied dongle to have headphone out through the USB port. That is not a well thought out design.
    The Pre is what it is. Which is probably enough. After all, many seem to love it as is. I'd expect some bug fixes and small enhancements, but all this other stuff like voice dialing or recording will probably be 2.x next year.

I guess as a smartphone user in general, i'm more curious about a Pre 2 and how far a leap Palm might take.
    Let's see... I could list all of the Pre's missing features... but that's been done on this forum a million times.

Safe to say, Palm has no plans to add any useful functionality to the phone. It's been four months and the Pre still lacks basic features, such as voice dialing and text forwarding.

Unfortunately, we have phones that pretty much lack a lot of key features and DO NOTHING that other phones can't do.

Once we hit the six-month mark, I'll have to seriously reconsider whether I'll keep this phone. I'm not interested in waiting a year or more to add functions that my old flip phone had five years ago.
    VD is definitely a big miss for me as well. Not enough to not to buy it, but a big miss nonetheless. I don't know if it's something that can be developed third party, but if so I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The Hero also doesn't have a dedicated headphone out jack, you have to use the supplied dongle to have headphone out through the USB port. That is not a well thought out design.
    Where did you read or see this? My fiance just got a Hero the other day and the 3.5 MM jack supports headphone out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Let's see... I could list all of the Pre's missing features... but that's been done on this forum a million times.

Safe to say, Palm has no plans to add any useful functionality to the phone. It's been four months and the Pre still lacks basic features, such as voice dialing and text forwarding.

Unfortunately, we have phones that pretty much lack a lot of key features and DO NOTHING that other phones can't do.

Once we hit the six-month mark, I'll have to seriously reconsider whether I'll keep this phone. I'm not interested in waiting a year or more to add functions that my old flip phone had five years ago.
    Yes, this is obviously the most logical conclusion, Palm is just not going to improve WebOS at all. Why would they? They've already got your money right?!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Where did you read or see this? My fiance just got a Hero the other day and the 3.5 MM jack supports headphone out.
    Guess I was thinking the MyTouch 3G, and a few other HTC phones. Looks like the Hero does have a 3.5mm out. It does have the 3.5mm USB adapter support as well though.
    -- VD is definitely a big miss for me as well. Not enough to not to buy it, but a big miss nonetheless. I don't know if it's something that can be developed third party, but if so I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

+1
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    It's true that the Pre does not have voicedialing on its own, but if you use a bluetooth device that you can upload your contacts to, you can use voicedialing. I use the Parrot Minikit Slim and have it plugged into my 12V power in my car so it starts up when I start the car, works great. Takes about a minute to transfer the contacts and then it's good to go.

Plug'n'play Portable Hands Free Car Kits - Parrot.com USA
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    My understanding of the law (at least in CA) is that you are allowed to dial while driving ... just have to be hands free while talking. Whether that's safe is another question ... but you can be legal without voice dial.
    Unless you are the governators wife & then you may break the law!

Caught three times in fact...
    Not really. Dropping the headphone jack seems like a logical step, given how cheap Bluetooth headphones and headsets are, and especially so in light of how many Pre's have been returned after they got stuck in headphone mode. It's a little like the PC dropping the floppy drive; it was opposed by some, but inevitable.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Guess I was thinking the MyTouch 3G, and a few other HTC phones. Looks like the Hero does have a 3.5mm out. It does have the 3.5mm USB adapter support as well though.
    Probably. Most (maybe all?) of the HTC phones I have owned required USB adapters to hook up headphones.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
  15.    #35  
    Hero has a standard headphone jack and the person above is correct. Only a virtual keyboard on the Hero. I would probably miss the real keyboard but that is less of a trade-off for me. The Hero has spell check and easy cut and paste features. Not sure what I will do, but Palm should have understood that VD is not a small feature to miss on a $400+ phone. It's a necessity for many.
    Hero has a standard headphone jack and the person above is correct. Only a virtual keyboard on the Hero. I would probably miss the real keyboard but that is less of a trade-off for me. The Hero has spell check and easy cut and paste features. Not sure what I will do, but Palm should have understood that VD is not a small feature to miss on a $400+ phone. It's a necessity for many.
    I would tend to agree that many need voice dial. But I would guess that most people that have the Pre, don't really care one way or the other about it. I've had voicedial on most of my phones over the years, and never used it. I tried a couple of times, but didn't like it. With quickcontacts and universal search, it takes me no more than 3 button presses to dial someone. On the other hand, I'd probably use a very good implementation of voice dialing if it was available.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I would tend to agree that many need voice dial. But I would guess that most people that have the Pre, don't really care one way or the other about it. I've had voicedial on most of my phones over the years, and never used it. I tried a couple of times, but didn't like it. With quickcontacts and universal search, it takes me no more than 3 button presses to dial someone. On the other hand, I'd probably use a very good implementation of voice dialing if it was available.
    I replaced an HTC Touch with the Pre. I needed to purchase Microsoft's VD app to get what I wanted from VD - no learning contacts as many VD apps require. Just speak the name and it would recognize it and ask to call "mobile" or "work" or "home" for that contact. The app that came preinstalled on the Touch was horrible - requiring the user to speak the name of each contact in order to allow the phone to associate the name with the VD command.

I am a RE developer and have the need to make calls on the road many times a day to many different contacts. Fingering through the contacts while driving just isn't an option.
    Well, if VD is make or break for you, then you've got the wrong phone at the moment. There don't even seem to be any rumors about VD on the Pre. As far as we know, it may never come.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I replaced an HTC Touch with the Pre. I needed to purchase Microsoft's VD app to get what I wanted from VD - no learning contacts as many VD apps require. Just speak the name and it would recognize it and ask to call "mobile" or "work" or "home" for that contact. The app that came preinstalled on the Touch was horrible - requiring the user to speak the name of each contact in order to allow the phone to associate the name with the VD command.

I am a RE developer and have the need to make calls on the road many times a day to many different contacts. Fingering through the contacts while driving just isn't an option.
    That's the way the Parrot Minikit Slim works too, no learning required. It also works with multiple phones if you share your car with somebody. I actually find it a better solution than having voicedial on the phone. The interface is better with bigger buttons.
    I can tell you this, when I bought the pre on the first day, I was told by the rep..." It's coming.....just be patient".......how long to be patient? The new iphone is looking better and better.........................
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast